PegXMac HD-Installation
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    I've just installed succesfully(?) the new PegXMac 1.2 on HD, but what next? How to boot now right from HD? Just changing the boot-script from CD-Rom to HD is not enough, I've copied the file bootpegasos2 to my boot-partition. It starts booting, it finds something on hda7, where I've installed PegXMac, and then stops with a lot of error messages.
  • »04.08.04 - 20:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • DDJ
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    DDJ
    I know this is not a answer for your doubts but, i have subscribed to get this update 2 days ago and until now i have no acount to login and get the iso, i do have a Paypal payment confirmation, is this so slow like this ? how many days a user need to wait to get the acount ?

Well, Downloading now :-D .

Thanks David.

[ Edited by DDJ on 2004/8/5 12:10 ]
    Peg2 G4 1Ghz rev. 1.2 - CPU rev 1.2 - Built on 20050808
    OF-version 1.2 (20050808153840)
    Radeon 9250 (9200Pro) 256MB/128bits AGP - OEM PCVIEW (ProLink)
    RAM 1GB - 2x512MB DDR333 CL2 - Kingston HyperX
    40GB ATA100 - Brand ?
  • »04.08.04 - 20:46
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    You have to boot with it as you have, get to a command prompt and type hdinstall, and it will launch then install script. After that is done you have to boot with the other file that is on the root of the CD, I think it's 2.4.25 or something, use that as your boot image and then it will boot the knoppix kernel and find your pegxmac install (which you did with hdinstall)...

That's basically it. Worked for me :)
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »05.08.04 - 17:01
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    I knew that there must be an easy solution, but is there no "readme" or explanation on the cd or homepage?

I'll try it now....
  • »05.08.04 - 17:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    serge
    Hello HammerD,

can you now write your configuration files easlyon the HD?
    Have you to reload your setting files each time you run knopix or can
    you do a default settings file ?
  • »05.08.04 - 17:45
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Yes, the configuration files are saved on the hard drive. So now you only have to edit them once...

So the next time you boot you just type startmol -X and OSX will launch. In fact you could probably even add that command into the startup, but I don't know knoppix/linux well enough to do that :) There must be some sort of "startup-sequence" file, maybe someone familiar with linux knows? :)

I don't think you can go back to a default settings file unless you were to make a copy of the original files, first.
    A4000/060/PPC-200MHz, A4000T/060/PPC-233MHz, CD32, MicroA1, Pegasos 2 G4, AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.5GHz, MacMini 1.5GHz/64MB VRam...mwwmwahhh :)
  • »05.08.04 - 18:42
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    So, booting works, I boot with the option root=/dev/hda7 <== Place where I've installed PegXMac, nothing else.

In order to start MacOS X I had to change molrc.osx : Boot device is now hda6 (the place where I've installed both, MacOS X and MacOS 9) MacOS X works fine.

But: No sound. What setting do I have to change?

And more important: No internet! I have ADSL in the flavour of german T-DSL. I've installed the drivers on Mac-side, MacOS tries to make a connection, but stops after while, saying "no ppoe-server found" or something like that. I think it is something in etc/network I have to change? I remember the same trouble in Debian Linux, now Linux runs fine. (But in the new version not compatible with MoL, and I don't want to start a whole Linux-System first just to start MacOS...)
  • »05.08.04 - 19:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    If you have a Pegasos-1, you won't get any sound out of MOL. It is not supported on the Pegasos-1. You need a Peg-2 for that...

As for internet, I am fairly certain that MOL needs to get a DHCP address from a router. I get on fine - but I have a router hooked up. I had to edit the DHCP configuration file and put in my name servers, but otherwise I didn't touch anything. My router's IP address is 192.168.1.1. MOL sets up it's own virtual subnet, defaulting to 192.168.2.x.

I am not sure if you can directly get onto the Internet without a DHCP server giving you an address. Do you have a router?
  • »05.08.04 - 19:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Hello,

Yes, Sorry i was a bit rushed :-)

goto my website, i've added some info on the HD-INSTALL

please email me if anything is missing

thanks

pegxlin DEV

Quote:

DrZarkov wrote:
    I knew that there must be an easy solution, but is there no "readme" or explanation on the cd or homepage?

I'll try it now....
  • »05.08.04 - 20:13
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    O.k., it's working now. About internet: Hm, no chance then, but luckily I will get a rooter soon...

About Sound: I have a PegII. With the old PegXMac 1.0 sound worked, not good, but something came out of the speakers. Now there is silence.

Not tested yet, because I have an old-fashioned printer with parallel-port: does a USB-printer (with available Mac-driver, of course) work?
  • »05.08.04 - 20:55
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I've managed to get through the installation and boot but now I'm stuck on configuring MOL! All the other config files are saving correctly except for molvconfig. It keeps giving me the error Failed to create the video configuration file '/var/lib/mol/fb_modes'.

My limited linux knowledge tells me that the path does not exist, thus it cannot save to it. I tried launching molvconfig with a path to mol (i.e. 'molvconfig /mol/fb_modes') but it simply ignored it.

Is there a simple way around this?

Also, when booting back into MOL, the linux equivalent of "checkdisk" keeps running on my pegxmac partition. What is the correct way to unmount/shutdown to prevent this?

Thanks,

Jeff
  • »08.08.04 - 21:04
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    DrZarkov
    For your second problem there is an easy answer:

type shutdown -h now

or simply press ALT-CTRL-DEL

Your first problem is much trickier, I hope some of the Linux-expert can give you a better answer.
  • »08.08.04 - 21:29
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I tried shutdown but didn't use the -h now switch. Thanks! If it is the same as alt-ctrl-del, however, it does not appear to help with the disk checking I mentioned.

Yes, regarding the first question. Linux experts, are you out there?!

Quote:

DrZarkov wrote:
    For your second problem there is an easy answer:

type shutdown -h now

or simply press ALT-CTRL-DEL

Your first problem is much trickier, I hope some of the Linux-expert can give you a better answer.
  • »08.08.04 - 21:43
  • DDJ
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    DDJ
    >About Sound: I have a PegII. With the old PegXMac 1.0 sound worked,
    >not good, but something came out of the speakers. Now there is silence.

The PegxMac 1.0 have a diferent default sound setup, (alsa) is enabled in the MOL sound config file "configmolrc.sound", the new 1.2 iso have (any) enabled, and didn´t worked here too, i allways setup my system with (oss), and i have sound allways, i have reconfigured my setup to use oss and now everthing is working great again, so i guess you just need to reconfigure your sound setup and you will have sound again.

Ps: My system is already booting from HDinstall, so now i don´t need to reconfigure everytime ;-) , and i don´t even need to call "startmol -X --cdboot", my system now boot directly in Panther, of course linux need to be loaded and then goes to MOL, but now this happening without any human interaction, i just need to chose "panther" in bootmenu when i boot my Pegasos :-D .

[ Edited by DDJ on 2004/8/9 11:07 ]
    40GB ATA100 - Brand ?
  • »09.08.04 - 14:05
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    No response yet, eh? *Sigh* I'm going to go out on a limb here, but perhaps if I created the path it is looking for, I can eliminate the error. Anyone know how to create directories in Linux?!?

Quote:

jdryyz wrote:
    I've managed to get through the installation and boot but now I'm stuck on configuring MOL! All the other config files are saving correctly except for molvconfig. It keeps giving me the error Failed to create the video configuration file '/var/lib/mol/fb_modes'.

My limited linux knowledge tells me that the path does not exist, thus it cannot save to it. I tried launching molvconfig with a path to mol (i.e. 'molvconfig /mol/fb_modes') but it simply ignored it.

Is there a simple way around this?

• »09.08.04 - 23:33
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    bump
  • »12.08.04 - 22:18
  • bas
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    bas
    i can't help with the pegxmac
    but the makedir command is:
    mkdir [name]
  • »12.08.04 - 22:32
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Thanks! I will give it a try.

Quote:

bas wrote:
    mkdir [name]
  • »13.08.04 - 00:05
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    Success! Manually creating the path solved the problem and I was able to boot to OS X for the first time! I believe I have PegXMac v1.1 to thank for this. I was never able boot to X with the first release.

New problem, however. I used the -rw -force -boot switches for my MacOS partition. OS X's Disk Utility was able to see the drive and prep it but the installer won't let me install to it!

I shut down OS X and returned to the MOL prompt and noticed an "hda5 is locked" warning message on the screen. What gives? Can it be easily unlocked? Is this a permissions problem?

Quote:

bas wrote:
    mkdir [name]
  • »13.08.04 - 06:10
  • bas
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    bas
    for setting permission on files you can use
    chmod 666 [filename]
    ( http://www.zzee.com/solutions/chmod-666.shtml )

but since it says your whole partition is locked I doubt it will work
    a quick google turned up this, maybe it is of help...
    http://www.maconlinux.org/lists/mol-general/June01/0161.html
  • »13.08.04 - 09:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Hmmm... I still havent been able to get OS X to boot at all. Maybe some day we will have a great simple way to do it.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »13.08.04 - 19:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • DDJ
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    DDJ
    Hi Acill, as far as i know, this is already simple ;-) , i will try to make a little step by step and put here in this post, if you want, just le me know ok ?

Ps: My english is not good i know, but i think it is understandable, and i can try to spell check twice. :-D .
    40GB ATA100 - Brand ?
  • »13.08.04 - 19:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Sure i would like a guide. I'll have to pay for the upgrade I guess. It seems back when he released it and told us it was a one time fee he was not telling the truth. It looks like he wants a monthly fee to use it now if you want more upgrades.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »14.08.04 - 00:18
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I will take a look at this. Thank you!

Quote:

bas wrote:
    for setting permission on files you can use
    chmod 666 [filename]
    ( http://www.zzee.com/solutions/chmod-666.shtml )

but since it says your whole partition is locked I doubt it will work
    a quick google turned up this, maybe it is of help...
    http://www.maconlinux.org/lists/mol-general/June01/0161.html
  • »14.08.04 - 01:58
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    jdryyz
    I wasn't reading the warning message from the Mac OS X installer carefully. I now realize I have the "partition not in the first 8GB of the hard disk" problem. I searched past messages here but did not see a solution. Will it really be necessary to repartition and make space closer to the beginning of my drive?

I do have a second hard drive I can add to the Peg. Any problem with doing this?
  • »14.08.04 - 02:52