Is the 2nd Gigabit Ethernet really available after all?
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    I heard over at pegasos.org that the second Gigabit ethernet provided by the Marvell northbridge is actually available after all, through some of the pins on the small (debug/"geek"?) slot at the edge of the PCB? Is this true? Is it usable in practice (provided that it's forwarded to a proper ethernet connector mounted at some spare spot on the case)?

Two Gigabit ethernet lines, straight into the core of the Northbridge and not through the PCI-bus, plus one "traditional" 100Mbit in addition to this from the VIA through PCI-bus. This would be pretty unique for any platform, especially at this price point. :-o :-o

If this would be true, it would be truly great! :-) But it sounds too good to be true, so it's probably not!
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »28.06.04 - 22:02
  • Just looking around
    fprowse
    Yes, I was told that this exists also but the needed card has yet to be developed.

I'l certainly keen to get a second gige port on my machine.

FrancoisQuote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    I heard over at pegasos.org that the second Gigabit ethernet provided by the Marvell northbridge is actually available after all, through some of the pins on the small (debug/"geek"?) slot at the edge of the PCB? Is this true? Is it usable in practice (provided that it's forwarded to a proper ethernet connector mounted at some spare spot on the case)?

Two Gigabit ethernet lines, straight into the core of the Northbridge and not through the PCI-bus, plus one "traditional" 100Mbit in addition to this from the VIA through PCI-bus. This would be pretty unique for any platform, especially at this price point. :-o :-o

If this would be true, it would be truly great! :-) But it sounds too good to be true, so it's probably not!
  • »28.06.04 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Well, that would certainly help making the Pegasos "Open for Anything" server related, wouldn't it?

This, and a fanless CPU card, mute PSU and some Seagate Barracudas would be the perfect home bulk storage server/router/firewall! :-)

This, spiced up with a Dual G4@1.5 GHz CPU card, and perhaps a touch of some RAID card(s), would even satisfy the more serious gourmets! :-)
  • »28.06.04 - 23:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    GK_LKA
    Nice dreams... :)
    [ GK / LKA Team ]
  • »29.06.04 - 12:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

GK_LKA wrote:
    Nice dreams... :)

:-)

Well, until someone confirms/denies these rumours, I'll keep on dreaming! :-D
  • »29.06.04 - 12:22