Total Amiga Pegasos II Review ....
  • Just looking around
    I found out the other day that, to date, no-one has stepped
    forward and offered to write a review of their Pegasos II
    for the forthcoming issue of Total Amiga.

Unfortunately I'm far too much of a newbie to be able to
    write a serious review myself - I haven't ever used an
    Amiga even !! :)

It would be a tradgedy if the space put aside for a Peg II
    review was not utilised solely for the reason that no-one
    was available to provide an objective review ..

I've read some great reviews on the Pegasos in the past so
    surely there must be someone who can write a current review
    of where we stand with our favourite platform ?

Respectfully,

JohnB

EDIT: Anyone interested should contact Robert Williams at
    editor@totalamiga.org
    Pegasos II G3/600
    512MB DDR2700 Crucial RAM
    Maxtor 80GB HDD
    Lite-On CD/RW 52x32x52
    Voodoo 3 3000 AGP 16MB :)
  • »24.04.04 - 10:20
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bifford
    Hey JohnB

(Why when I say your name in my head does Little House On The Praery (Prarey?) spring into my mind?? Oh, thats right - im thinking of John-Boy! ;-) heheh)

Ahem. anyway, I diverge.....

I'm the writer that normally covers MOS reviews and stuff and I certainly did the PegasosI/Mos1.3 and then 1.4 reviews.

Unfortunatly I dont have the money or inclination right now to upgrade to the PegII (waiting for newer and better G#? cards to come out ;) but if I could write a review I would.

However there is othing stopping anyone else writing a review - yourself included. The fact that you've never used an Amiga before might actually be a good thing: you wont be biased towards giving it a good review, you'll say it clear and simple. And as a newie you can report on whether it was a headache to install all the hardware, and its limitations and the same for software.

Go for it. Drop Rob a line (or let me know and I'll pass it on) and start writing. I will be happy to liase with you, give you pointers, proof-read the item etc. Email me or pop into my IRC chan sometime (details in .sig).

Oh, and hurry up - there's a deadline! hehehe

TTFN.
    Bifford.
    ========
    Bifford the Youngest

My Website at: www.whiteharegames.co.uk/
  • »24.04.04 - 23:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    Can you help give me some guidance on what it should contain, and I would be happy to do it.
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCI-X (Registration #1894)
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    Powermac Dual 2.0 GHZ G5 PCIE (Registration #6130)
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »25.04.04 - 00:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    itix
    But since you never used an Amiga you must have a different perspective :-D
    1 + 1 = 3 with very large values of 1
  • »25.04.04 - 02:29
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    AyoS
    I am currently writing a review of the PegII, unfortunately
    without access to the superbundle I felt it pre-mature to review
    the full morph/peg/linux, without having used all three, even
    though I am slanted toward morphos, morph needs the superbundle
    to be reviewed as advertised. and I should install linux
    to be trully objective. I just recieved my superbundle yesterday
    so i am on my way to finishing the Morph part.

Katos1
  • »25.04.04 - 03:35
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Bifford
    Quote:

Can you help give me some guidance on what it should contain, and I would be happy to do it.

As a note - decide whether it is to be a Pegasos II review, or a joint PegII/MOS1.4.2 review. I personally would weigh heavilly on the PegII part but also talk a bit about MOS. Say a 3/4 to 1/4 weighting. But you don't have to stick to that :)

Well, for a start a comparison with the differences between the PegI and PegII is necessary - and dont be adverse to mentioning things like the Gigabit ethernet that we (MOS users) can't use as yet but Linux can. Why should a user upgrade froma PegI to a PegII? What are its benefits? Any drawbacks?

How easy is the machine to set up from scratch? (ie limitations of what RAM etc it can handle) Does it work from the get-go or does it require faffing around? How good is the documentation? How good is support and where can you get it?

Then installation of the OS. With this I wouldn't go into too much detail - mention the boot.img and its partitioning requirements, and basic installation of MOS. You could, if you want, even talk about installation and requirements of LINUX :- afaik noone has done a Linux on Amiga machine article for TAM. If there's enough for this maybe a 2nd article?

Then of course there's the upgrade to 1.4.2 - whats new? whats newly broken? (snapshotting for example is now half-screwed!) whats fixed? Whats expected in 1.5? Again, KISS.

So there ya have the basics. Don't forget photographs of the set-up of the Hardware and of course screenshots.

Anything else is up to you and they are just guidelines. Its your review not mine! ;-)

TTFN!
    Bifford
    ========
    Bifford the Youngest

My Website at: www.whiteharegames.co.uk/
  • »25.04.04 - 13:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    rhino
    Hi Folks,

I'm the editor of Total Amiga and just wanted to chip in that I agree with what Bifford has said. I would certainly concentrate on the Pegasos II itself and any changes in MOS 1.4.2 in a review as Bifford has already covered the Peg I and MOS 1.4 in two quite extensive articles.

On the Linux front, while it may be interesting Total Amiga is dedicated to AmigaOS and compatibles. A brief mention of the other OSes that the Peg II can run is fine, but I wouldn't want to publish a complete article.

If you are interested in writing a review please let me know ASAP as we need to confirm the contents of issue 17 in the next week or so. The deadline for articles for this issue will be around the 14th of May BTW.

Thanks

Robert
  • »26.04.04 - 14:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I'll give it a shot. I've done reviews and can do a good job. Since I builtmy system from scratch I have a lot of insight. I was also an Amiga user from 1986. So I can write it in perspective of an Amiga user to Pegasos II user view.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
    Need Repairs, upgrades or a recap in the USA? Visit my website at http://www.acill.com
  • »26.04.04 - 14:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    rhino
    Quote:

I'll give it a shot. I've done reviews and can do a good job. Since I builtmy system from scratch I have a lot of insight. I was also an Amiga user from 1986. So I can write it in perspective of an Amiga user to Pegasos II user view.

That sounds great, thanks.

Could you send me an e-mail at editor@totalamiga.org so I have a contact for you. If you have any questions, problems etc. just let me know.

Cheers,

Robert
  • »26.04.04 - 15:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Jupp3
    Would it be a good idea to have small part with "How to upgrade from Pegasos 1 to Pegasos 2?" stating what hardware has to be changed (I think memory chips are the only thing), and same about software (new morphos bootimage)
  • »26.04.04 - 17:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Acill
    I've sent in a few page review of the system. I hope its good and gets used. It basicly talks about the new stuff on the Pegasos II and a few of the bugs that are not present in the latest release of MOS.
    Powerbook 1.67GHZ
    A4000T CSPPC, Mediator
  • »27.04.04 - 03:46
    Profile Visit Website