US Robotics USB 56k Faxmodem.
  • EWS
  • Just looking around
    I bought one of these recently, (the price was right) but had little luck so far getting much out of it. For example, Poseidon won't automatically bind a class to it.

Looking through the modem's little manual, It would appear that it requires installation (through Windows, of course) to be 'activated' and useable. Unfortunately I have no Windows machines around here.

Anyway, does anyone have experience with this (or similar) USB modem? Is it possible to get someone to set up the modem on their Win-PC, then use it on my Pegasos, or would my time be better served by returning the modem for a refund, and pursuing another means to the net?
  • »03.03.04 - 06:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • EWS
  • Just looking around
    After some further research, It looks like this modem is Windows Dependent, and it's probably a lost cause to use it on the Pegasos. On the other hand, sharing my old serial modem between my Amiga and the Pegasos seems to be doing rather well.
  • »04.03.04 - 08:01
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Thx for the info. I have never tried an USB modem at all. I kind of skipped from serial modems to DSL. However, e3b has a compatability chart for a lot of different devices through Poseidon. I don't see USRobotics, but there are a few modems listed towards the bottom of the page: LINK
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »04.03.04 - 08:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • EWS
  • Just looking around
    It sems quite a lot of USB modems are "Winmodem" types, especially the cheap ones.

I'm budget-concious right now, and discovered the cheaper alternative in sharing the Amiga's 56K modem via switchbox.
  • »05.03.04 - 07:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Leon
    There should be some documents on the net that explain how to use win modems with Linux. I have read such a document in a local PC magazine. Maybe it can help.
    Proud owner of:
    Efika
    ABIT ATI 9200SE AGP 128MB
    40GB Samsung Hard Drive 5400rpm
    -----
    PowerMac 3.1 G4 350Mhz "Sawtooth" AGP
  • »05.03.04 - 12:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Targhan
    Using a WinModem with Linux creates the same issue, "LinModem." The problem is that the modem's processes are handled through the driver not the modem itself. Without a port, I doubt it'll happen on MorphOS anytime soon. "MorphModem"... hrm...

@EWS
    56k... I knew there was a reason I scaled back the graphics on MorphZone ;-) Seriously, do you think the new "theme' helps your loadtime? (I really did do it for folks on dial up.)
    :idea:Targhan

MorphOS portal? www.MorphZone.org
  • »05.03.04 - 16:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    It helped me at home!!!! A screaming 26 connection only goes so fast. ;)
    --Mithalas
  • »05.03.04 - 17:22