Pegasos II not posting
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    I have had my Pegasos II in storage for a very long time like around 17 years! I wanted to sell it, but figured I better check if it works. I plugged both into the ATI card which has a DVI and a VGA for some reason I think it only ever worked off of one of those 2. Nothing comes up the Monitor never recognizes a signal I can see the fan spinning on the G4 card. Any ideas of anything i might be missing to get it to post?

Thanks in advance,
  • »14.04.24 - 23:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    If there is no output from video, try to connect serial cable and inspect log from other computer.
    And which ATI card do you have?
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »15.04.24 - 11:51
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    I figured it out its a bad power supply. As the power supply tester showed it was delivering low power. Now rather their is anything else wrong I wont know till I get another power supply to test it.
  • »18.04.24 - 01:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vulture
    Several things. Other than a bad PSU, could be bad RAM, bad motherboard, bad cpu module, but, more often than not, doesn't detect a keyboard plugged in the PS/2 port.
  • »18.04.24 - 17:34
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    Quote:

vulture wrote:
    Several things. Other than a bad PSU, could be bad RAM, bad motherboard, bad cpu module, but, more often than not, doesn't detect a keyboard plugged in the PS/2 port.

A keyboard has to be plugged in for it to post?
  • »24.04.24 - 20:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vulture
    Yes, strange as it sounds, it has to be

[ Edited by vulture 24.04.2024 - 23:23 ]
  • »24.04.24 - 21:22
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    No, not true - works also without any keybord!
    But PS2-Keybord will be needed to enter firmware (does'nt work with some USB-keybords).

Please clean all contacts and slots. After such a long time, they may be eroded.

You have'nt written what GraphicsCard you use.....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »25.04.24 - 09:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vulture
    My peg2 won't post if I unplug the ps/2 keyboard, previous motherboards couldn't either.
  • »25.04.24 - 10:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Mine does without any problems. Firmware V1.2, Built: 2004 08 10 xxxx
    I had 3 different PEGs, and all of them works (booting through till Ambient) even without a keybord.

Now to the issue:
    It does'nt work, if you have set a "endless" delay in your Forth-Bootmenue - then he waits endless for a key-press! But in this case you should see OF-Screen.
    Also env-var auto-boot-timeout should not be zero, negative or a pointless high number. But nevertheless: If there is an issue with this var, PEG should return after a while to OF-screen or boot.

But if I understood right, zephar123 does'nt see anything, even after waiting a long time.

The question is now:

- Does PEG come up? Any activity on HD-LED? (if not -> sh..t! -> in most cases faulty CPU-Card. If you have luck only a faulty HD) It makes also sense to have a look at all capacitors, whether they are OK or not.
    - Does'nt GraCard fit or is damaged?
    - Can monitor show PEGs default resolution on OF-Screen? (31,6KHz/70Hz 720x400)
    - Are all cables OK?

You may also do a test without any card inserted - even put out GraCard and look on disk-activity LED.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 25.04.2024 - 17:51 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »25.04.24 - 16:48
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    zephar123
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Mine does without any problems. Firmware V1.2, Built: 2004 08 10 xxxx
    I had 3 different PEGs, and all of them works (booting through till Ambient) even without a keybord.

Now to the issue:
    It does'nt work, if you have set a "endless" delay in your Forth-Bootmenue - then he waits endless for a key-press! But in this case you should see OF-Screen.
    Also env-var auto-boot-timeout should not be zero, negative or a pointless high number. But nevertheless: If there is an issue with this var, PEG should return after a while to OF-screen or boot.

But if I understood right, zephar123 does'nt see anything, even after waiting a long time.

The question is now:

- Does PEG come up? Any activity on HD-LED? (if not -> sh..t! -> in most cases faulty CPU-Card. If you have luck only a faulty HD) It makes also sense to have a look at all capacitors, whether they are OK or not.
    - Does'nt GraCard fit or is damaged?
    - Can monitor show PEGs default resolution on OF-Screen? (31,6KHz/70Hz 720x400)
    - Are all cables OK?

You may also do a test without any card inserted - even put out GraCard and look on disk-activity LED.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 25.04.2024 - 17:51 ]

I am currently waiting for a power supply because my power supply tester shows part of it showed low voltage when I tested it. I don't know the exact video card at the moment it is a lower end ATI one. (I think its a 9200 series)

[ Edited by zephar123 25.04.2024 - 23:38 ]
  • »25.04.24 - 23:35
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Such a GraCard (AGP) should work anyway. My PEGII is fitted with a Radeon 9200 (RV280). I've testetd a Radeon 7000 too - works also. Compatibility-list fo all supported cards: https://www.morphos-team.net/hardware.
  • »26.04.24 - 08:08
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    No, not true - works also without any keybord!
    But PS2-Keybord will be needed to enter firmware (does'nt work with some USB-keybords).

Please clean all contacts and slots. After such a long time, they may be eroded.

You have'nt written what GraphicsCard you use.....

I was told by one of the devs way back when that if you add a USB 2 card you have to shut off usb in the firmware. That just means usb isn't available for boot up, imputing to get the dvd boot or bypassing the wait timer if you have one.

Furvert
  • »27.04.24 - 01:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Furvert
    Quote:

zephar123 wrote:
    I have had my Pegasos II in storage for a very long time like around 17 years! I wanted to sell it, but figured I better check if it works. I plugged both into the ATI card which has a DVI and a VGA for some reason I think it only ever worked off of one of those 2. Nothing comes up the Monitor never recognizes a signal I can see the fan spinning on the G4 card. Any ideas of anything i might be missing to get it to post?

Thanks in advance,

I hope it's just your Power Supply!
    My own Pegasos II died a few updates back. I use this regularly. Swapping out the power supply seems to have done it and I've got it updated again finally. However I couldn't get the DVDs in the second IDE header to work. I got the DVD ROM (READ ONLY DRIVE) that was on the second onto the first header and that helped. The PATA DVD burner just won't work on either header. I have one of those small PATA to SATA cards but the SATA burner still won't work on the second Header. Not sure if it's the PATA cable or the actual Second IDE header.
    I'm going to be adding one of the 4 sata PCI cards I have for the lost DVD burner and Harddrive but I can't boot from those.
    Good luck with your systems!

Furvert
  • »27.04.24 - 01:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Quote:

Furvert schrieb:

I was told by one of the devs way back when that if you add a USB 2 card you have to shut off usb in the firmware. That just means usb isn't available for boot up, imputing to get the dvd boot or bypassing the wait timer if you have one.

Furvert

No you cannot boot from USB because OF recognices no filesystem (no masstore-devices) on USB-devices. This is not implemented, athough packages for needed devices can be seen in OF-Tree (even Deblocker-device!).

But there is a way to boot a MOS-Kernel from TFTP-Server, and then, if kernel starts, it is possible to do the rest from USB-Stick.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 27.04.2024 - 20:23 ]
  • »27.04.24 - 19:17