Fresh Install X5000 issues
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Good afternoon!

I have recently acquired an X5000 newgen machine and would like to use it as a MorphOS box.
    With this in mind I need to install Morph obviously.

I have a supported video card installed and have a suitable SSD installed and connected to the mainboard sata port.

Here is where it gets tricky. For whatever reason the 2nd sata port was broken off and is unusable.
    Due to how uboot works, I am not able to use a CD to install MorphOS as the CD MUST be connected to a mainboard sata port and the only usable one has the HD connected. (I tried booting to CD with sata and then seeing if it could see my pci sata card but no dice.)

So this means I must get the thumb drive install to work.
    I have followed all of the instructions and no dice. The machine never sees the boot media. (And yes the X5000 boots to usb when I use the OS4.1 media so it is not an issue with the machine.

I have now tried 4 different usb sticks and none of them work.
    The command I used to create the boot stick is:

From a shell in Morphos:
    Copy morphos-3.18-hybrid.hdimg RAWDISK:Devices/usbscsi.device/0/rawdisk DIRECT

This APPEARED to work and did in fact copy the image over but it does not work in the X5000.
    Any suggestions?
    "Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence." Quote from Rambo...
  • »26.03.24 - 17:32
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    BIG THANK YOU to Skateman as he took the time to work with me and provided some command line items that fixed my issue completely.

Step 1: Use for example Balena etcher so burn the IMG file to a USB drive.
    Step 2: Stick the USB drive in a USB port of the X5000
    Step 3: Turn on the X5000 and press ESC when the boingball starts spinning
    Step 4: Go to Command line
    Step 5: Type USB RESET and press enter. (the X5000 will scan all the usb ports again)
    Step 6: Type AMI and press enter (you will be back in the menu)
    Step 7: Choose MorphOS and see if the system boots from USB

Steps 4, 5 and 6 were the missing pieces that solved it all.
  • »27.03.24 - 01:02
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    @outlawal2,

Is your x5000 a new computer or a second hand one ? In the case it is a new one you can or could contact a-eon to get the motherboard being repaired in warranty. Have-you thouht about this possibility ?

About the steps to boot from a usb peripheral, drive or card inside a reader, do not put it in a usb port before the splash screen with the spinning boingball. Put the usb when you enter to command line. Otherwise you will or would obtain 'EHCI timed out on TD - token*0x00xxxxx' endless errors and you would have to reboot the computer. When it is goog then type 'boot morphos', you obtain the choice of the peripheral to boot, press 1.

Brumiga
  • »27.03.24 - 13:32
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    outlawal2
    Thank you for the tips on booting I will keep them in mind.
    As far as the repair goes, this machine was bought second hand so no chance on warranty.

And I knew going in that the port was broken I just wasn't aware of how that would hinder my ability to install a fresh OS on it!

Again thanks to Skateman for his assistance!
    I now have a functional Morph OS box running

Thanks!
  • »27.03.24 - 15:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > type 'boot morphos'

Wouldn't that be 'bootmorphos'?
  • »27.03.24 - 15:08