Changing default monitor?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    Hi, is there a way to change the default monitor where (non public) screens will be opened?

I want to start a game (Boxikon) on the other monitor, not the default.
  • »20.03.24 - 21:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    Hi, is there a way to change the default monitor where (non public) screens will be opened?

I want to start a game (Boxikon) on the other monitor, not the default.

I don't think so. The definition of the default screen is (at least when two graphic cards are used) defined by the file system. :D

Sounds stupid, but I need to copy and rename the Radeon driver after every system upgrade, so the Radeon driver gets loaded first and gets defined as default screen.

So I guess this is all part of the missing stuff, which a dedicated arrangement preferences panel would deal with, where you would also define if the second monitor is on the left or right, so the mouse can switch screens on the right side.

[ Edited by geit 21.03.2024 - 01:06 ]
  • »21.03.24 - 01:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    igracki
    And what if I only have one Gfx Card with two monitors connected?

I think about patching OpenScreen() function and set SA_MonitorName to the other monitor (in my case RadeonX1900.monitor.1)...
    Would that work, or are "older" games using a different way to open a screen???
  • »21.03.24 - 08:48
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    geit
    Quote:

igracki wrote:
    And what if I only have one Gfx Card with two monitors connected?

I think about patching OpenScreen() function and set SA_MonitorName to the other monitor (in my case RadeonX1900.monitor.1)...
    Would that work, or are "older" games using a different way to open a screen???

Yeah, using/creating a tool to force the application to a different screen, like with these screen promotion tools in the old days, should work and is currently the only way.

Actually I don't know how this would be implemented in the future without a "dirty task name hack" as there only can be one default display and all old applications would end up there.

On the other side there aren't many applications doing it the OS1.3 fashion way, so maybe a patch to the application would be more useful. Like patching the static screen structure or the taglist within the game to make it a public screen.

[ Edited by geit 21.03.2024 - 10:33 ]
  • »21.03.24 - 10:32