For sale Powerbook G4@1,67Ghz A1138 NOT working
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Hi

This is a not working Powerbook the last and very rare model with matte screen 15".
    I had tried to buy a new powesupply but not working. The motherboard got a shortcircuit somehow. I'm sure it is not working and I can't garantee for any component.
    So I suggest this only for the chassy which is in very good condition and any other not electronic part.
    Let me know if you are interested before I sell on ebay.
  • »05.03.24 - 10:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'm in the UK, where would you be sending it from, i.e. cost of p&p/shipping?

As it's believed to be non-functional what are you asking for it?

How do you think the motherboard (logicboard) got short-circuited? If you plug a power supply in then it either will power up, or it won't - it doesn't short-circuit the logicboard by those means, sometimes a component fails when these systems gets powered up, so please explain why you think it has suffered a "short-circuit"? :-?

Any photos, either on here or via PM - to arrange for photos via email?

Is there a battery included?

Have you opened the PowerBook at any time, as-in, would you know what you were doing to take it apart, to disassemble it, correctly, without damaging anything internally and put everything back in there - once you got to where it is now - if you did in fact open it up to see what's inside?

If you've never had it working how would you know if the screen is OK, or the DVD drive, and has it got a HDD fitted in it - if you know? :-?

I just want to know more about this "project" before I decide if I want to take on this "UAP" (Unknown Apple Product). :lol:
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »05.03.24 - 22:35
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I'm in the UK, where would you be sending it from, i.e. cost of p&p/shipping?

As it's believed to be non-functional what are you asking for it?

How do you think the motherboard (logicboard) got short-circuited? If you plug a power supply in then it either will power up, or it won't - it doesn't short-circuit the logicboard by those means, sometimes a component fails when these systems gets powered up, so please explain why you think it has suffered a "short-circuit"? :-?

Any photos, either on here or via PM - to arrange for photos via email?

Is there a battery included?

Have you opened the PowerBook at any time, as-in, would you know what you were doing to take it apart, to disassemble it, correctly, without damaging anything internally and put everything back in there - once you got to where it is now - if you did in fact open it up to see what's inside?

If you've never had it working how would you know if the screen is OK, or the DVD drive, and has it got a HDD fitted in it - if you know? :-?

I just want to know more about this "project" before I decide if I want to take on this "UAP" (Unknown Apple Product). :lol:

I think it is short circuited cause there was a light on the connector.
    At the beginning it works, then it could work without battery, then died. Nothing new here: many Macbooks start failing like that even today and so I think it started failing from the mainboard. Long time ago I wanted to try to change the daughterboard but I couldn't find anywhere. Maybe there was in US but they don't send here.
    Yes, I have photos. Where I can upload?
    I bought in UK, but now I'm in Italy. Expedition is quite expensive abroad in EU and maybe UK, I guess from 20-25 euro.
    I had just opend to remove hard drive and check the board, but I've never disassemble totally, I didn't check the other side... if you need some cables there you go.
    I have also 2x1GB DDR2 ram but I don't know how to test it without another DDR2 laptop. Eventually I could sell ram separately, but I need to find a way to test it.
  • »07.03.24 - 11:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: I think it is short circuited cause there was a light on the connector.
    Which connector? :-?
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: At the beginning it works, then it could work without battery, then died.
    So, do you mean it worked with a battery inserted (powered/charged) AND the Power Supply Unit (PSU)?
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: Long time ago I wanted to try to change the daughterboard but I couldn't find anywhere. Maybe there was in US but they don't send here.
    Which "daughterboard" are you referring to? AFAIK, there is only the main logicboard, and the DC-In board which also has the sound chip on it!
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: Yes, I have photos. Where I can upload?
    Either an online photo website or you can send me a PM with your email and I will contact you so you can send me some photos.
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: I bought in UK, but now I'm in Italy. Expedition is quite expensive abroad in EU and maybe UK, I guess from 20-25 euro.
    So, if the cost of "shipping" (i.e. Expedition?) is 20-25 Euros then what else do you want for the PowerBook?
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: I had just opened it to remove the hard drive and check the board, but I've never disassembled totally, I didn't check the other side... if you need some cables there you go.
    Well it could be useful for parts, but it seems I won't know exactly what parts are OK until it got here, if I was to buy it. ;-)
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: I have also 2x1GB DDR2 ram but I don't know how to test it without another DDR2 laptop. Eventually I could sell ram separately, but I need to find a way to test it.
    Usually RAM is fairly resilient, but I have had a few sticks of bad RAM over the years I have owned PowerBooks, so nothing is definitely OK, until it has been checked thoroughly! 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.03.24 - 11:29
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Goodman
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: I think it is short circuited cause there was a light on the connector.
    Which connector? :-?

Power supply.

Quote:

Goodman wrote: At the beginning it works, then it could work without battery, then died.
    So, do you mean it worked with a battery inserted (powered/charged) AND the Power Supply Unit (PSU)?

Last time, yes.

Quote:

Goodman wrote: Long time ago I wanted to try to change the daughterboard but I couldn't find anywhere. Maybe there was in US but they don't send here.
    Which "daughterboard" are you referring to? AFAIK, there is only the main logicboard, and the DC-In board which also has the sound chip on it!

DC-In board.

Quote:

Goodman wrote: I bought in UK, but now I'm in Italy. Expedition is quite expensive abroad in EU and maybe UK, I guess from 20-25 euro.
    So, if the cost of "shipping" (i.e. Expedition?) is 20-25 Euros then what else do you want for the PowerBook?

30 euro for UK. At moment I'm just looking for some offers.

Quote:

Goodman wrote: I have also 2x1GB DDR2 ram but I don't know how to test it without another DDR2 laptop. Eventually I could sell ram separately, but I need to find a way to test it.
    Usually RAM is fairly resilient, but I have had a few sticks of bad RAM over the years I have owned PowerBooks, so nothing is definitely OK, until it has been checked thoroughly! 8-)

If ram is either working or not it'd be important to understand how bad it is. Give me a couple of weeks to find someone that can test it... I will send you photos soon.
  • »08.03.24 - 11:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: Which connector? :-?
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: Power supply.
    NewSense replied: So was the charger light orange/amber or green? . . . or some other colour? :-?
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: So, do you mean it worked with a battery inserted (powered/charged) AND the Power Supply Unit (PSU)?
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: Last time, yes.
    NewSense replied: OK
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: Which "daughterboard" are you referring to? AFAIK, there is only the main logicboard, and the DC-In board which also has the sound chip on it!
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: DC-In board.
    NewSense replied: OK
    Quote:

NewSense wrote: So, if the cost of "shipping" (i.e. Expedition?) is 20-25 Euros then what else do you want for the PowerBook?
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: 30 euro for UK (shipping). At moment I'm just looking for some offers.
    NewSense replied: OK, when you know more about the working parts of the PowerBook I'll then consider making an offer
    Quote:

Goodman wrote: I have also 2x1GB DDR2 ram ...] [... If ram is either working or not it'd be important to understand how bad it is. Give me a couple of weeks to find someone that can test it... I will send you photos soon.
    NewSense replied: OK, I can wait for now, and thanks for the update. 8-)
  • »09.03.24 - 09:48