Mac Mini G4 crazy fan
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Flash
    Hello MOS users,
    I need your help about fan of my Mac Mini G4 (silent upgrade version).
    When I insert the AC power cord the fan start to run at max speed without power on the Mac.
    Once I press power button both OS loads (I have a dual boot MOS + Leopard) and runs without any issue.

The fan noise is very high and I wonder what caused this issue (maybe some HW fault?) and how can I fix the issue.
    I hope there's some trick I can do to fix it under MacOS/MOS or Open firmware.

[ Edited by Flash 27.02.2024 - 06:00 ]
  • »26.02.24 - 04:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    For hardware checkout is best to download "Apple Service Diagnostic DVD" ( ASD ) for Mac Mini G4 and make tests with it. It is free somewhere on apple and other websites.

other what can you do:
    - replace thermal paste between CPU and coller, check if cooler proper fixed.
    - check real CPU temperatures with MacOS or MorphOS tools
    - check if you have latest firmware
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »26.02.24 - 09:02
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    The fan blows without power on?? Never heard that. This seems to be a electrical issue! There is also no hint about that in Servicemanual or ASD. Check cables and connectors inside Mini. Maybe there is more to be found in Internet....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »26.02.24 - 13:07
    Kronos
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    The fan blows without power on?? Never heard that.

Well it always has the 19V (AFAIR) from the external PSU which would suggest that some power controller on the motherboard has gone bad.

Only other thing I could see is some weird setting in OF causing this (wakeup by LAN or something like that) which should be solvable by resetting everything to factory default.

But still the reason why I refuse to have anything with a PSU that old stay connected to mains when not in use.

Yikes, just realized that if my account here was an US citizen it would be of legal drinking age...

[ Edited by Kronos 26.02.2024 - 13:19 ]
  • »26.02.24 - 13:16