Mplayer update possible?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Mplayer has memory leaking issues and doesn't play some videos.

I noticed that the OS4 version was updated recently and thought I would ask if there is anyway that the MorphOS could be updated?

If Mplayer was a total dead end then perhaps the really old VLC could be picked up.

Would be nice to get one of them current.
  • »19.02.24 - 17:11
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Primax
    I had the same idea...;)...mainly regarding propper support of X5000 (non-Altivec).

...but was unfortunately told, that there is not so much benefit from the OS4 version. So, obviously, there would be big mountain of work...

But, maybe, if other users also "insist"...? :)
    AmigaOne X5000 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon X1650 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition / MorphOS 3.17
    Amiga1200 / Blizzard 1230 IV PiStorm32-lite / 128 MB RAM / AmigaOS 3.9
  • »20.02.24 - 05:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    I agree with Primax.

It would be a good thing to have 2 versions of mplayer, non-altivec and altivec. Not only for x5000 but also for sam 460, all versions, and also for efika. An alternative may be ffplay. At the end of december 2023 BeWorld has released ffmpeg in 2 versions, non-altivec and altivec, but not sure for ffplay. I have also asked about a gui for ffplay. Papiosaur has written one for ffmpeg but it may not be usable with ffplay. He will rewritte and update it.

Brumiga

[ Edité par Brumiga 20.02.2024 - 09:47 ]
  • »20.02.24 - 09:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > non-altivec [...]. Not only for x5000 but also for sam 460, all versions,
    > and also for efika.

Also for Pegasos I and Pegasos II/G3 :-)
  • »20.02.24 - 11:01
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:

What kind of memory leaking issues? I'm not aware of them. And still haven't found a video it wouldn't play :)

Quote:

If Mplayer was a total dead end then perhaps the really old VLC could be picked up.

I think our current MPlayer is pretty solid base for updates and it has been working well over the years. Only the non-altivec version is an issue currently. Why to re-invent the wheel while we have the sources available at some developers, just encourage the current developers more :) VLC was so unfinished and unusable that I wouldn't look at that direction.
  • »20.02.24 - 11:31
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:

What kind of memory leaking issues? I'm not aware of them. And still haven't found a video it wouldn't play :)

Quote:

I think our current MPlayer is pretty solid base for updates and it has been working well over the years. Only the non-altivec version is an issue currently. Why to re-invent the wheel while we have the sources available at some developers, just encourage the current developers more :) VLC was so unfinished and unusable that I wouldn't look at that direction.

If I load almost any video more than once it will stop playing if I play and stop a few times or so. I assume that is memory related? I do run a lot of other programs all the time, so perhaps they may be an issue.

I will do some testing, I know one video standard didn't play audio but it played the video.
  • »20.02.24 - 16:13
    connor
    What I have is when I played a video and it stopped, then I click on the play button a second time and nothing happens. Is this what you mean? I have to open the playlist and select it from there or drag the video a second time.
  • »20.02.24 - 17:26
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Memory leak would be that the program would allocate memory and then wouldn't free it at any point, making you eventually run out of the memory. Maybe you mean memory trashing or so, but you should be able to catch some MorphOS debug logs which could point where it went wrong.

But MPlayer has been really stable generally, at least when pausing and re-launching etc. here, never had any issues with it. I even tried to launch a video, pause it, resume it, quit mplayer with 100 times in a row for couple of videos, and didn't have any issues... and memory was freed always.

I used this command to test it now :)
    Code:
    waitx secs=2 loop=100 "echo start*Nrun >NIL: mplayer -gui 1 Fun:Videos/RNOSlides.avi*Nwait 4*Nrxcmd MPLAYER.1 pause*Nwait 2*Nrxcmd MPLAYER.1 pause*Nwait 2*Nrxcmd MPLAYER.1 quit"

But I rarely use the stop button for anything, I usually pause things rather than stop... wasn't able to reproduce anything with the stop button now with a quick try either.

If you get some crash logs, I'd bet that something else is the root issue, but otherwise there might be some feature in the program that doesn't work in the way you'd expect. In any case I'm a bit suspicious for claims that it'd be anything memory related bugging with the MPlayer itself.

Edit:
    And if it would be memory related issue (trashing/crashing), you most likely wouldn't be able to close the program and restart it.

[ Edited by jPV 20.02.2024 - 20:02 ]
  • »20.02.24 - 18:51
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Have same experiences as jPV - never had any problem with MPLAYER! Works on Mac G4_PB, G5, Mini G4, PegII_G4
    flawless. There is no memory-leak, even after playing many or very long videos. No problems in stopping/starting or jumping in timeline. Works better and quicker than this wintel-crab. Cannot remember a MPLAYER-caused crash.
    Only on EFIKA are issues because of only 128MB RAM (MPLAYER no Altivec).

I think, there is something wrong in your installation. What machines do you use? How much RAM?

Btw.: MPLAYER uses the same code as ffmpeg! VLC is nothing, you really want on your machine....
    And you cannot compare MPLAYER for OS4 with the MOS-Version - they are not on the same level -> I can see that on my PEG2.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 20.02.2024 - 19:06 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »20.02.24 - 19:04
    matt3
    The issue I have if I play a video than quit the video and watch another one, after a bunch of times it won't load the same video anymore and videos similar in size.

My system is a PCIe PowerMac with 2 gigs of memory. I do have a lot open at all times (Iris, PolyOrga, Pagestream, wayfarer) driving 2 screens off the X1900 PCIe card. One screen is 1080P and the other in 1920x1200. If I play a video on my nonambient 1080p screen it is slower and choppy compared to the ambient screen.
  • »20.02.24 - 20:22
    Cego
    As said many times before, i think the biggest issue with MPlayer is the lack of streaming support. We cannot watch Twitch Streams or any other live streaming content, which is very sad
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »20.02.24 - 20:36
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Quote:

matt3 schrieb:
    The issue I have if I play a video than quit the video and watch another one, after a bunch of times it won't load the same video anymore and videos similar in size.

My system is a PCIe PowerMac with 2 gigs of memory. I do have a lot open at all times (Iris, PolyOrga, Pagestream, wayfarer) driving 2 screens off the X1900 PCIe card. One screen is 1080P and the other in 1920x1200. If I play a video on my nonambient 1080p screen it is slower and choppy compared to the ambient screen.

This seems to be more a problem of so many open progs, which are influencing each other. MOS has no memory-protection and some progs are not written well, according to the programming style-guides. Especially the parallel use of Wayfarer and ImageFX, or also Pagestream, causes sometimes crashes on my system.

A reason also may be the graphics-card: I don't have X1900 card, so I cannot say anything about the behaviour of this card. I use older ones (original Radeon 9600/9250/9700), which are supported now a long time - maybe the drivers are more perfected.

What I very often use is OWB in combination with MPLAYER for Youtube or similar platforms - this works flawless even over a long time with many different videos....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »20.02.24 - 22:06
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:

By quitting the video, do you mean you quit the whole MPlayer program and re-launch it with a new video, or do you stop the video but then add a new video in MPlayer without quitting the actual program?

If the latter, how do you add a new video? Are the previous ones kept in the playlist?

Quote:

If you're still suspecting memory trashing issues, checking the debug log regularly (or enable the Activity Light in the Debug sbar module to make it indicate immediately if there are new entries in the log) does reveal quite efficiently if there are badly behaving programs breaking things, and then you can isolate better what could be causing issues and possibly limit its use.

Regarding the choppiness issue, I've never seen that kind of behaviour on my single monitor systems even when running MPlayer on different screens. Maybe that's related to dual-monitor or graphics card drivers rather than MPlayer itself.
  • »21.02.24 - 07:02
    Profile Visit Website