Modern day photo edit software for MorphOS?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Greetings one and all! I can't believe it's been fourteen years since I've posted to Morphzone.. but here we are, a couple presidents later..

Anyway, I'm exploring options to edit my photos from Fujifilm X system cameras, as in the RAF files from X-Trans sensor models like my fleet of X-H1s. Is there any MOS native software which can do so? I'd also be interested in something with DAM capabilities for several hundred thousand photos spanning three decades. That's a lot to ask, I know. Currently running Linux but am becoming disenchanted with it, and with Darktable, because they're still, frankly, kinda user hostile. I really miss Amiga style OSes around which I could get my head, and have some hope of fixing things myself. As opposed to Linux, where I update my browser and.. my photo edit software stops working right?!?!

I've got a couple of old Pegasos machines, IIRC a 1 with April fix and a II, possibly even G4. Could also probably find an old PPC Mac around here, Yikes or MDD.

From what I've gleaned so far, Showcase seems to be the early favorite. Are others here using it with modern digital camera gear? Thanks in advance!
  • »14.02.24 - 05:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _coliN_
    Hi Tronman!

Welcome back here!

try the SilkRAW program in combination with the dcRAW executable.
    You can perhaps convert your RAW files from your camera with this.

I have also a system camera, but dont need the raw format in everyday use...
    But I will try if it reads the format of my camera.

Regards!

Bo
  • »14.02.24 - 08:46
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Yikes

MorphOS doesn't support this model (PowerMac1,2).
  • »14.02.24 - 09:09
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    Good to know on the old Yikes! model. Kinda surprised it doesn't, because this is an AGP model and many of the MOS (and Amiga) native GFX card drivers only work on AGP cards. These old machines can also hold over a gig of RAM, and can be had for pennies on the dollar. Additionally, some of the original PPC OS work was done on hardware that involved reflashed Sonnet G3 and 4 accelerators, so the protocol of that big square mobo connector shouldn't be too much a mystery.

But that's OK, I have newer Power Macs as well as OG Pegaasos.
  • »16.02.24 - 20:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tronman
    OK I see what I mixed up. Yikes is PCI, Sawtooth is G4. Haven't thought about this much since not very long after my post which you quoted. Sawtooth has the MegArray CPU connector which is much more dense than the ZIF socket in the picture you provided.

This also means my oldest Power Mac would be a Sawtooth or later, because other than my Umax J700 Mac clone, all my PPC Macs have AGP slots.

So, sorry I mentioned the older Yikes model. I also have a ZIF socket CPU card from that era, it also fits the J700.

Does MorphOS support later Sawtooth models, since they have AGP?
  • »19.02.24 - 05:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Yikes is PCI, Sawtooth is G4.

Both are G4, but Sawtooth is AGP ;-)

> Does MorphOS support later Sawtooth models, since they have AGP?

Yes, MorphOS runs on all PowerMac G4 models except the very first one (Yikes), with one caveat: onboard audio support starts only with the Digital Audio model (PowerMac3,4). Thus, MorphOS on Sawtooth and Gigabit Ethernet models requires a supported sound card (PCI, USB).
  • »19.02.24 - 12:13
    Kronos
    Quote:

Tronman wrote:
    OK I see what I mixed up. Yikes is PCI, Sawtooth is G4.

"Yikes" shares the motherboard with the B/W G3 tower and is little more than a 1st party CPU upgrade and a different color scheme.
  • »19.02.24 - 15:58