MorphOS installer breaks existing OS9 partition table
  • Just looking around
    How to replicate:

Use an OS9 install CD to partition a drive with some partitions for OS9 and MorphOS. What I did was create 5 to begin with:

OS9 = 16GB
    10.4 Tiger = 16GB
    10.5 Sorbet Leopard = 32GB
    MorphOS Boot = 64 MB (HFS)
    MorphOS System = 8GB (HFS)
    Rest of drive left as free space

I then installed OS9 onto the first partition. I have also on occasion while testing installed Tiger and Soret Leopard onto the other partitions but this is irrelevant.

IF I then try to install Debian linux 12 (the latest version from 2013 which you can download and burn) without installing MorphOS then everything is fine and it can see the partitions and gives an option to install on the largest continuous free space or allows me to manually add partitions with al, of the existing ones visible,.

IF I install MorphOS beforehand though Debian will not be able to see any partitions when you get to the partition stage in the installation.

IF I try to install Lubuntu GParted can see the partitions but complains about some of them not filling the space allocated to them and the part where you select partitions in the installer shows that there are no partitions.

MorphOS's partitioner on the installer appears to be breaking the OS9 partition table, maybe because it does not like the OS9 drivers partitions which get created when partitioning the drive using Drive Setup on the Mac OS CD as part of setting up the drive.

I think I have read somewhere that this was a known bug in 2016 but has yet to be fixed.

Has anyone else here managed to install MorphOS on a drive with OS9 partitions without any issues or is this a known bug?

I ask as I'm going round in circles trying to get a multi boot setup working with OS9, OSX, MorphOS and Linuc on the same drive.

Thanks in advance!

[ Edited by vaccinemedia 11.02.2024 - 20:15 ]
  • »11.02.24 - 20:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I don't believe we have ever tested the partitioner with OS9, especially since the hardware we've initially written it for (the Mac mini G4) did not support OS9.
  • »12.02.24 - 03:27
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Has anyone else here managed to install MorphOS on a drive with OS9
    > partitions without any issues or is this a known bug?
    > I ask as I'm going round in circles trying to get a multi boot setup
    > working with OS9, OSX, MorphOS and Linuc on the same drive.

A MorphZone member managed to get multiboot with OS9, OSX and MorphOS working (German, beware):

https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13266&forum=18&start=7 (#8)

Unfortunately, the guide he wrote is on another website which requires registration (and is probably in German).
  • »12.02.24 - 14:41
  • Just looking around
    Thanks for the replies, very much appreciated :) I have decided to go down the route of trying to install MorphOS onto an external USB drive instead.
  • »15.02.24 - 23:33
    Profile Visit Website