Rust for Mos
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    eliot
    Hi everybody,

since Rust gains more and more attention and it used in Linux Kernel as well as for driver development on Windows,
    I wonder if would be cool having rust also on MorphOs.

In my projects at work Rust also is used more.
    Today I read this article (https://www.heise.de/news/Versionsverwaltung-Git-bald-mit-Rust-Code-9598321.html) which
    discusses if Rust will used in Git development in future.

What do you think? From point of view Rust will replace C/C++ in a few years.
    regards
    eliot
  • »17.01.24 - 11:44
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

It won't.
  • »17.01.24 - 12:44
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Good to know that you thik about the future development on MorphOS. :)
    However I am not going to looking for a new language. I would like to fully use what I have today on MorphOS. :) I heard that Rust is very modern language so maybe someone will be interested in programing in the language.

I use Swift at work, C/C++ at home for hobby projects and Python for a helpful tools/scripts. C/C++ is good enough on MorphOS, SDK is ok, environment is ok, Git works. I would like to have more complete Python 3.x for MorphOS because now I have to use some ugly workarounds in MOS-version of scripts. :( Unfortunately without Yomgui we probably will not see new versions of Python 3 for MorphOS.
  • »17.01.24 - 15:38
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    C(++) is just like x86.

In the past 40 years there was always something that will completely replace it in a few years.

For reelz this time!!!
  • »17.01.24 - 15:59
    Tcheko
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    Hi everybody,

since Rust gains more and more attention and it used in Linux Kernel as well as for driver development on Windows,
    I wonder if would be cool having rust also on MorphOs.

In my projects at work Rust also is used more.
    Today I read this article (https://www.heise.de/news/Versionsverwaltung-Git-bald-mit-Rust-Code-9598321.html) which
    discusses if Rust will used in Git development in future.

Wasn't it Java that was supposed to get rid of C & C++? :)
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »17.01.24 - 16:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    IMO, Rust makes the most sense on multi-threaded OS's. The strictness may help single-core systems but I doubt the learning curve is worth it on a single-threaded system.

Haiku has some of the Rust runtimes ported but not the whole thing, by any stretch.

I've liked what can be done with Rust but by the time it's ready for mainstream app programming, we'd be better off with a WebAssembly runtime via W2C2 instead and cross-develop from there.
  • »17.01.24 - 23:16
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Except WebAssembly is basically all little endian.
  • »18.01.24 - 00:48
    Profile Visit Website
    ernsteiswuerfel
    At the moment even building the native rust compiler is a PITA on anything but x86_64/arm64 if it's anything but a glibc based system. Tried that on Gentoo musl/ppc and musl/ppc64 but so far it didn#t work out.

Things may change when there is halfway decent rust support in gcc "gccrs" and you can use this or at least use gccrs to bootstrape native rustc more easily. But currently it looks like this won't happen soon enough to be in GCC 14.
    Talos II. [Gentoo Linux] | PMac G5 11,2. PMac G4 3,6. PBook G4 5,8. [MorphOS 3.18 / Gentoo Linux] | Vampire V4 SA [ApolloOS / Amiga OS 3.2.2]
  • »18.01.24 - 12:37
    eliot
    Hm, well, Java was never intended to replace C/C++, that is a totally different story.

I was triggered because the git project thinks about to make use of rust in future.
    Other projects will do this too.
    This will make it harder to port software to mos.

We at work using Rust for several new projects (embedded) now and it's fine because of it's thread
    and memory safety.

But yes, endianess is a big problem.
    regards
    eliot
  • »19.01.24 - 14:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Except WebAssembly is basically all little endian.

W2C2 supports automated endian swapping at a cost but this is a thought for a new thread.
  • »22.03.24 - 15:17