System crashes on SDK installation
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    When I try to install the MorphOS 3.18 SDK, the extraction process always stops after a random time. The system stays responsive for a while, e.g. I can open and close other programs. But when I try to close the SDK installer, the title bar blinks red and the system is now alsmost unresponsive. The mouse still works and I can't close other windows any more. After a while, the clocks stops too. So the systems dies a slow death so tgo speak... The same phenomena with the red can happen when the Wayfarer browser crashes. I try to close the browser, the title bar blinks red, the system dies...

Whats is happening here? Any ideas how to prevent these issues?
  • »03.09.23 - 18:39
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Try running memtest extensive, then sfsdoctor. It sound like either a hw issue or a corrupt file system.
  • »03.09.23 - 18:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thank you for the quick reply.

My system is a Sam460LE with a X1950 XT GPU. I ran the memtest with the extensive flag for about 20 minutes, no errors so far. SFSDoctor says "Filesystem structure is correct" on all 3 partitions!

MOS.jpg

Edit: I also ran memtest with the vmem flag and the system crashed. During the test, the screen got black and then white (guess that's normal for a video memory test) and when the desktop appeared again, everything but the mouse freezed.

Edit2: Did run the vmem test a few more times. No more crashes...

[ Edited by Skygecko 03.09.2023 - 21:06 ]
  • »03.09.23 - 19:38
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    In that case, please check if there's any serial logs when the crash happens.
  • »03.09.23 - 20:19
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I need some help getting serial logs after the OS is fully booted up.
    I read here that there is no need to do anything special to enable serial output because it is the built-in default debug output. But I got no output at all after the uboot prompts, so I used the commands bigfoot told me in one of my other threads:
    Code:
    setenv morphosargs qdebugflags init edebugflags init

With this, I receive serial output during booting of MOS. However after MOS is ready, no more output at all.

I also did some more runs with memtest EXTENSIVE and VMEM. No errors.
    But SDK installation still fails every time resulting the OS to become gradually unusable.

Edit: Sometimes the SDK installation stops with "Installation failed: input data is illegal or corrupted".
    Then I can close the Window and the system does not crash. Of course, I already redownloaded the file to exclude issues with the downloaded archive.

The problem seems to be caused by extensive file excess, as I also get these issues when using Wayfarer.

Any more suggestions for troubleshooting are appreciated.

[ Edited by Skygecko 04.09.2023 - 20:37 ]
  • »04.09.23 - 10:56
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    About the serial log, I found in MorphOS Preferences/System the Log tool and activated "Transfer the log... through built-in serial". But I still don't receive anything...
  • »05.09.23 - 09:19
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    If you get any serial output from MorphOS, then it means that serial debug is indeed active, which it sounds like it is in your case.

If you then don't get any serial output at the time something crashes or hangs, then it means that it at least didn't crash in any normal way caught by MorphOS.

Due to the varied crashes and errors you get, it really sounds like there's something going on with your system that's maybe caused by a hardware problem somewhere.

Please remind me what your setup is like: What PCI/PCI Express cards do you have installed, and which storage devices are connected where? Which storage device(s) are in use when you try to install the SDK?

Also on my own Sam460, it tends to get rather unstable in general when it overheats, which it in my case does by default. I have a 120mm fan pointed at the CPU. With the fan, the system functions normally. Without the fan, the system often hangs especially when doing I/O to my hard disk. Is there any chance you can create some additional air flow in your system to make sure this isn't happening to you too?
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »05.09.23 - 12:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    No, I do not get any serial outout after the OS is loaded!

I have a PCI SI3112 card with one HDD drive and a CDROM drive attached and a PCIE sound card with VIA TREMOR VT1723 chipset.

As the Computer gets quite warm, I already suspected temperature problems and utilized an additional fan, no difference.
    I also suspected my 300W PSU, but I measured the consumption and the system takes only about 70W, so that can't be the problem as well.

Maybe some testing tools will narrow down the source of the problem? I will have a look on MorphOS storage if I can find some stress test tools...
    Another thing I can test is to change my SATA controller card. Maybe another chipset will perform better?
  • »05.09.23 - 13:07
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    If you're getting debug on startup then there's no need to try and enable anything else - simply try to crash it and grab the log.
  • »06.09.23 - 03:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    But that's the point, I don't receive anything upon those crashes.
    And what does it mean when the task bar flashed red when I try to close the window? Why is the system gradually crashing and not just freezing immediately?
    So I think the source of those problems is still the same I descibed in my other thread (MorphOS installed on SD card freezes). But thanks to bigfoot's help I now have a nice dual boot system on one single HDD. Those immediate freezes are now gone in MorphOS, maybe I/O operations via the SD reader triggered those issues even more...
    And I still have those stability issues on AmigaOS, too (on HDD). And quite more often than in MorphOS. But here the system freezes immediately! I really want to pin down the culprit.

[ Edited by Skygecko 06.09.2023 - 14:47 ]
  • »06.09.23 - 13:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Flakey power supply or overheat?
  • »06.09.23 - 15:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Skygecko wrote:
    I also suspected my 300W PSU, but I measured the consumption and the system takes only about 70W, so that can't be the problem as well.

Notice that drawing not enough current on a power supply can make it behaves unstable as well. I would sort that out by using a 150W PSU like a PicoPSU for example.
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »06.09.23 - 15:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Okay I think I place a pedestal fan next to my open case. When still crashing I change the PSU. I will report back.
  • »06.09.23 - 18:51
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I replaced my SiI3112 card with a SiI3114 card and the freezes are gone! What an annoying issue, but finally I can enjoy my SAM460!
    Hopefully some more recent AMD GPUs get at least 2D support in the future.
    Full Polaris support would be awesome but I know this won't happen any soon...
    Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to future TinyGL releases!
  • »28.10.23 - 13:27