Lapsed morphos2.5 user installing mos3.1 cd
  • Just looking around
    hello,
    i am trying to get my mac mini 1.5ghz 1gig ram back up and running.
    Currently i am using mos2.5 but struggling to update to 3.1 or 3.0 from the cd

Booting either cd gets me to the loading morphos 3.0 screen but after 27mins it progresses no further.

I can boot my mos2.5 os and read the MOS 3.0 or 3.1 cd from there but the sys:tools/iwizard does not launch.
    I get the error the file is not executable on both cds.
    I tried launching it from shell by dragging it across but still its says its not executable.

What daft thing am i missing?

thanks
    Martin
  • »30.07.23 - 17:18
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You need to boot the installation media (be it a CD or USB).
  • »31.07.23 - 19:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    trotter
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    You need to boot the installation media (be it a CD or USB).

ok so that it is why its not working when launched within morphos on cd then.
    thanks
    Running MorphOS v3.18 on Mac mini 1.5GHz 64meg VRAM,1gig ram.
    Palm T3 pda along with pixel 4a GrapheneOS smartphone. Updated August 2023
  • »31.07.23 - 20:05
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

trott3r wrote:
    hello,

Is there a reason why you aren't using the latest release?

Quote:

Booting either cd gets me to the loading morphos 3.0 screen but after 27mins it progresses no further.

The loading screen should vanish quite quickly, but sometimes MorphOS seems to hang on it, and you'll just have to do a power button reset. Some versions were more prone for this, maybe these early 3.x versions? Or can you hear CD still accessing? Can you reboot the machine with keyboard (ctrl-cmd-cmd)? Have you tried to boot several times?

Quote:

I can boot my mos2.5 os and read the MOS 3.0 or 3.1 cd from there but the sys:tools/iwizard does not launch.
    I tried launching it from shell by dragging it across but still its says its not executable.

There's a protection that you can't use mixed binaries vs. OS/boot image. If you don't success by booting from the CD, you could try booting from a USB stick or by copying a correct new boot image (from the mac_ppc32 dir) into your Boot: partition (for safety, don't overwrite the previous, but use a different name) and an ISO image to your Work: partition, and then boot from the image file from Open Firmware prompt (boot hd:,\newboot.img bi dh2:morphos.iso).
  • »01.08.23 - 07:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    kriz
    Why not just boot from a usb stick .. Morphos usb install

Put the iso on a usb stick (morphos.iso) , open iso and copy correct boot.img file to your usb stick then >>

boot hold O F alt and win/apple button, untill boot menu appears (all 4):

boot ud:,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso

[ Edited by kriz 02.08.2023 - 20:23 ]
    MacMiniG4 MOS 3.18 rulez ... For music check: Horrordelic Records - Dark Psychedelic Music Since 2011 -
  • »02.08.23 - 19:22
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    trotter
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

trott3r wrote:
    hello,

Is there a reason why you aren't using the latest release?

Yes i was not sure if i had any cdrs or a drive to burn the iso of the newer oses.
    So i tried so old cds i had burned a while ago.

Quote:

The loading screen should vanish quite quickly, but sometimes MorphOS seems to hang on it, and you'll just have to do a power button reset. Some versions were more prone for this, maybe these early 3.x versions? Or can you hear CD still accessing?

Yes it did keep slow bursts of activity of the cd drive.

Can you reboot the machine with keyboard (ctrl-cmd-cmd)? Have you tried to boot several times?

Yes i did try several times

Quote:

There's a protection that you can't use mixed binaries vs. OS/boot image. If you don't success by booting from the CD, you could try booting from a USB stick or by copying a correct new boot image (from the mac_ppc32 dir) into your Boot: partition (for safety, don't overwrite the previous, but use a different name) and an ISO image to your Work: partition, and then boot from the image file from Open Firmware prompt (boot hd:,\newboot.img bi dh2:morphos.iso).

ok thanks i will remember that for the future.
  • »02.08.23 - 20:06
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    trotter
    Quote:

kriz wrote:
    Why not just boot from a usb stick .. Morphos usb install

Put the iso on a usb stick (morphos.iso) , open iso and copy correct boot.img file to your usb stick then >>

boot hold O F alt and win/apple button, untill boot menu appears (all 4):

boot ud:,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso

Thanks for the info i remembered reading somewhere that it was difficult to boot from a usb stick hence me persisting with the cd method.
  • »02.08.23 - 20:08
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    trotter
    I managed to dig up a CDR and used my dads cd burner to get the mos 3.18 burnt.

Now i have upgraded over my old v2.x MOS via the cd booted up.

Thanks for the help.
  • »02.08.23 - 20:19
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

trotter wrote:
    Thanks for the info i remembered reading somewhere that it was difficult to boot from a usb stick hence me persisting with the cd method.

It's not :) Maybe it looks like difficult because the guide takes all situations into consideration. And the same method works when files are in HD and not in USB, like I also described.
  • »03.08.23 - 05:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

trotter wrote: I managed to dig up a CDR and used my dads cd burner to get the mos 3.18 burnt., Now i have upgraded over my old v2.x MOS via the cd booted up.
    I usually use a CDRW as you can write over the old data using the same media, time after time, and that's what I used to do with my MacMini 1.5GHz 64MB VRAM system, as it should have a DVDRW (DL) drive that you can use Jalapeno to master the ISO to CDRW and copy that. I usually also use RegisterISO v1.2 to write my keyfile to the ISO before I 'burn it' so that if I have any problems the CD media doesn't time out after 30 minutes and I can continue as long as I need to sort a problem out without triggering the DEMO demon! ;-)

Though obviously the USB or HD options are other ways to achieve the same thing! 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.08.23 - 06:04
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    trotter
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

trotter wrote: I managed to dig up a CDR and used my dads cd burner to get the mos 3.18 burnt., Now i have upgraded over my old v2.x MOS via the cd booted up.
    I usually use a CDRW as you can write over the old data using the same media, time after time, and that's what I used to do with my MacMini 1.5GHz 64MB VRAM system, as it should have a DVDRW (DL) drive that you can use Jalapeno to master the ISO to CDRW and copy that. I usually also use RegisterISO v1.2 to write my keyfile to the ISO before I 'burn it' so that if I have any problems the CD media doesn't time out after 30 minutes and I can continue as long as I need to sort a problem out without triggering the DEMO demon! ;-)

Though obviously the USB or HD options are other ways to achieve the same thing! 8-)

CDRW is 1% readabiltiy compared to 5% cdr and 100% manufactured IIRC so with what looks like an ailing optical drive best for me to stick with CDR.

I tried to write the cdr in mac but it failed on finalising.

Yes the 30mins of a boot cd was a pain slowing me down installikng mos3.18

Adding a keyfile would be good maybe i should locate a usb CD writer.
  • »03.08.23 - 20:29