Remote desktop SSL error since 3.18 MOS update
  • Just looking around
    Hello guys,

I'm using remote desktop client to connect my Virtual machines without problems but After upgrading on 3.18 version of MorphOS, remote desktop is saying that the remote Server needs an ssl connection. When i active tls on remote desktop client settings, it Works but it crash MorphOS After a few minutes. What is the trick?
  • »15.05.23 - 19:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    Does it work with rdesktop/rdesktopgui from previous morphos version?
  • »15.05.23 - 22:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    Does it work with rdesktop/rdesktopgui from previous morphos version?

No, i have tested, same message when trying to connect: "ERROR: Failled to connect, SSL required by server"

How i can check if it is linked with the Morphos SSL system certificates ?
  • »15.05.23 - 22:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

djcollins wrote:
    Hello guys,

I'm using remote desktop client to connect my Virtual machines without problems but After upgrading on 3.18 version of MorphOS, remote desktop is saying that the remote Server needs an ssl connection. When i active tls on remote desktop client settings, it Works but it crash MorphOS After a few minutes. What is the trick?

I did notice that I would eventually get a "No space to queue audio packet" message unless if I selected "Resources / Remote computer sound" other than "None". Can you check if for example choosing "Leave on remote server" makes any difference? I haven't noticed any instability myself though, even when I did get this requester, so this might not be related.

Perhaps it might be something else than RDesktop client causing the issue? If it in fact indeed is RDesktop client crashing, it'd be really useful to be able to reproduce the crash ourselves. If we can't get it to crash ourselves it will be very difficult to try track the problem down.
  • »16.05.23 - 00:45
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Hmm, I might have been able to reproduce this issue now. At least I got a crash eventually. I'll try see if I can find something. No promises though.
  • »16.05.23 - 00:54
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    I found the culprit: It's me.

When I was implementing SBTC_ERRNOFUNCPTR/SBTC_HERRNOFUNCPTR in NetStack I managed to create a situation that can lead to memory corruption. The situation can easily occur when using libauto to manage bsdsocket.library (Applications opening and closing bsdsocket.library manually are typically not affected).

I've since remedied this mistake, and it will be released as part of the upcoming MorphOS 3.19 release. MorphOS 3.19 will include a new NetStack version that will correct the mistake, and will make any affected applications function correctly.

Since this flaw was introduced in MorphOS 3.14, as a workaround I would suggest replacing the SYS:Applications/RDesktop/RDesktop binary with one from MorphOS 3.13 ISO. This version of RDesktop predates the bug and thus doesn't have this memory corruption issue. MorphOS 3.13 version is older though and has some other flaws in it (for example issues with 24-bit cursors).

Apologies for the trouble.
  • »16.05.23 - 13:45
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Piru wrote:

When I was implementing SBTC_ERRNOFUNCPTR/SBTC_HERRNOFUNCPTR in NetStack I managed to create a situation that can lead to memory corruption. The situation can easily occur when using libauto to manage bsdsocket.library (Applications opening and closing bsdsocket.library manually are typically not affected).

I've since remedied this mistake, and it will be released as part of the upcoming MorphOS 3.19 release. MorphOS 3.19 will include a new NetStack version that will correct the mistake, and will make any affected applications function correctly.

Since this flaw was introduced in MorphOS 3.14, as a workaround I would suggest replacing the SYS:Applications/RDesktop/RDesktop binary with one from MorphOS 3.13 ISO. This version of RDesktop predates the bug and thus doesn't have this memory corruption issue. MorphOS 3.13 version is older though and has some other flaws in it (for example issues with 24-bit cursors).

Ah! No worry, you have a temporary solution for me and it's my goal:-) Thanks you for this precious information!
    I Will try this! Do you have the RDP client files alone to give me ? Because i don't have this ISO. Thanks you for all and your great work, MorphOS is a really mature system and i can't calculate the chance to have this for Amiga NG computing, congrats!
  • »16.05.23 - 20:50
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Lizard
    Quote:

djcollins wrote:
    Quote:

Piru wrote:

Ah! No worry, you have a temporary solution for me and it's my goal:-) Thanks you for this precious information!
    I Will try this! Do you have the RDP client files alone to give me ? Because i don't have this ISO. Thanks you for all and your great work, MorphOS is a really mature system and i can't calculate the chance to have this for Amiga NG computing, congrats!

You can find the previous isos on the Morphos website: https://www.morphos-team.net/morphos-3.13.iso
  • »16.05.23 - 20:58
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Lizard wrote:
    Quote:

djcollins wrote:
    Quote:

Piru wrote:

You can find the previous isos on the Morphos website: https://www.morphos-team.net/morphos-3.13.iso

Yeah, thanks!
  • »16.05.23 - 21:10
  • Just looking around
    I tried with the old version, it works but if I go to the top of the screen to bring up the bar to close the full mode, it is in this exact moment that the complete systeme freezes! I wish this information can help you. And i think this bug is the same with the latest RDP client.
  • »16.05.23 - 21:38