USB 2.0 PCI-card causes short circuit on PCI-port!
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Bought a (brand new) 5-port USB 2.0 PCI card for one of my PM G5. Card is equipped with a NEC0720101F1. Carddesign is capable for V3,3 and 5V and should also be able to run 33MHz as well as 64MHz. (see pics).

45499099bz.jpg

But PM does'nt even start with this card - power LED flashes1 time and over. Tested it in 2 different PM G5, which both have PCIe (and PCI-x) in top and middle slot. When card was removed, everything worked fine. One time PM boots to Morphos, but USB (even the internal ports!!) where dead.

After inspecting removed card I found this:

45499100vo.jpg

Red line marks the connection directly to all 5 USB-Ports (Pin 1?) - think it's the 5V line.

I've different USB cards running in PM (VIA and NEC), but never seen something like this.

Anybody know, what could be happened here?
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »15.04.23 - 13:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    I've tested some NEC PCI USB controllers with my G5 Power Mac and a few did misbehave in the same way.
    One 'click' from the PSU and no sign of life after that.
    The controllers worked well with PC motherboards though (and didn't look fried at all).

I've had the best luck when using Belkin branded USB controllers.
  • »15.04.23 - 14:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Oh, thank you, I'm not the only lucky one...
    I've ordered a Belkin now.
    But its astonishing, because this card complies to PCI 2.1 standart (or these means something else in China as it does here) - so that is'nt allowed to happen! I've never seen a USB-card with this "all-in-one" NEC-chip before (and this small 2Kbit EEPROM in the right corner above) - therefore there is not much to do wrong there.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »15.04.23 - 16:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Amigaharry2 - I can confirm what koszer has said, that the Belkin USB PCI cards with the centre slot for 3.3v and 5v inputs are very reliable for MorphOS use (and Mac use if you really MUST ! :-P)

I am sure that you and your 'intended', as in soon to be engaged, if not married, into your MorphOS system, will live happily ever after in perfect harmony, for ever and ever. :lol:

I usually keep a couple of the Belkin cards as spares, though I've never had a failure occur in those cards as yet. 8-D

Just as an additional bit of info, if you use a generally PC based Bluetooth USB dongle, usually the earlier versions, intended for Win XP, 2K systems, then you can just plug those into a USB port on a PPC Mac system that's compatible with MorphOS and use the Bluetooth capabilities via MacOSX (pairing) and save a lot of money from buying an Apple Bluetooth board, like the A1044 which are quite hard to acquire thesedays, and expensive. Then you can use some Bluetooth mice, trackballs, keyboards, etc., via Bluetooth that the MorphOS system doesn't have a Bluetooth 'stack' for, but you can benefit from such capabilities after being 'paired' via MacOSX.

*Note* that not all Bluetooth USB dongles are compatible, but it seems that the majority of the older USB Bluetooth versions are. ;-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »16.04.23 - 06:16
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Thank you - good to know!
  • »16.04.23 - 09:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Got now a Belkin-5_Port and it works!

But one strange thing happens:
    When started up first time, only USB-ports of Belkin -Card were recognized by MorphOS - the internal ports seems to be dead - but they can be seen in PCIInfo as working.
    So tested in MacOSX and everything was OK. Now I booted a plain MOS-Installation and it was working too!
    Now I deleted poseidon.prefs in Sys:Prefs/env-archive/sys/poseidon.prefs and rebooted: Everything now works as expected!
  • »19.04.23 - 12:43
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Glad to hear the Belkin USB card is doing what it should! 8-D

Did you work out what the issue was to cause the other USB ports to not function as they should from start-up, or was it specifically a setting or corruption that had crept into the Poseidon.prefs that had caused the issue ... if you know?
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.04.23 - 04:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    It was something in poseidon.pfefs - don't know what exactly (this behaviour I've never seen before).

I was a bit sensitized to poseidon.prefs, because in the past (some MOS releases ago) I'd some troubles with poseidon.prefs too. Suddenly MOS did'nt want to boot! It stops after loading kernel. I found out, that poseidon.prefs causes that. Booted from another media and deleting poseiden.prefs always helps in this situations. In later releases this occours only rarely, if at all.
  • »20.04.23 - 08:11