how can i help?
  • Just looking around
    Robertc85
    i have only modest talent with unix like systems (which i realize morphos is not) and never owned a real amiga, but this operating system has put a bit of fun in even mundane computing tasks and i still want to support it.

[ Edited by Robertc85 20.02.2023 - 16:52 ]
  • »20.02.23 - 22:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Good choice. 8-D

What are your main computing interests, and knowledge? :-?

What 'tempted':evil: you to try MorphOS in the first place? :-? 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »20.02.23 - 23:59
  • Just looking around
    Robertc85
    i've been a commodore fan since i was given a hand me down PET as a child in the late 80's early 90s. my main use of computers has to do with audio production usually as it relates to radio. i know (or should i say, remember) some BASIC. again thanks mostly to commodore machines. i don't know much about amiga like systems but i'm def willing to learn or try to learn. my more expanded knowledge is limited to earlier windows systems (7 and earlier) and unix / linux systems, i am an okay web designer when it comes to being helped by wordpress. lol

as for the why i decided to try morph, being amiga like i know there was a lot of music software made for the old systems, so if nothing else i aim to learn from it, and if my education helps others somehow, that's even better

if nothing else i suppose i could try to learn to port app over from the penguin side of things ;)

i dunno, let's throw ome ideas at the wall and see what sticks?
  • »21.02.23 - 00:12
  • Just looking around
    Robertc85
    i've been a commodore fan since i was given a hand me down PET as a child in the late 80's early 90s. my main use of computers has to do with audio production usually as it relates to radio. i know (or should i say, remember) some BASIC. again thanks mostly to commodore machines. i don't know much about amiga like systems but i'm def willing to learn or try to learn. my more expanded knowledge is limited to earlier windows systems (7 and earlier) and unix / linux systems, i am an okay web designer when it comes to being helped by wordpress. lol

as for the why i decided to try morph, being amiga like i know there was a lot of music software made for the old systems, so if nothing else i aim to learn from it, and if my education helps others somehow, that's even better

if nothing else i suppose i could try to learn to port app over from the penguin side of things ;)

i dunno, let's throw ome ideas at the wall and see what sticks?
  • »21.02.23 - 00:12
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Quote:

Robertc85 wrote:

While porting things is very nice, doing original stuff is better imo. Programming with MorphOS isn't exactly, well is totally not, the same thing as programming some POSIX thingy (ie: Linux, BSD, whatever unixism). Also, we don't have any user interface bridge (say QT, Gnome, KDE, whatever UI toolkit)... which limit porting to command line tool (ixemul black magic) or SDL1/2 stuff (mostly games).

Maybe exploring the rabbit hole of native programming using MorphOS system API? :)

We'll be more than happy to hint you.

As a start, you can explore https://library.morph.zone/

Welcome aboard. :)
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »23.02.23 - 09:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    This is a little way off topic, but the database is 'bouncing' me inputting this topic as a new forum posting, so I'll ask here, and when the database gets back to working properly - as it should, instead of generating a message:

Quote:

Error No: 0022 . . . Error Msg: An error ocurred while querying the database.

If the page does not automatically reload, please click here,
    - and the page doesn't automatically reload, and neither does a click on "here" respond/reload the page either . . . :-(

This issue seems to occur from time to time, though it has been a while since I last encountered this "error", or can anyone else confirm this is happening to them also? :-?

Anyway, if I've not had anyone answer here then I'll ask in a new thread when that's possible to start a thread/new topic . . . so . . .

Does anyone know if it is possible to set keyboard shortcuts for the Ambient Menu option Snapshot >Icons/Window/All? :-?

I have previously set keyboard shortcuts for View> Icons/List - toggling by using Cmd + -, and for quick swapping from the View> Icons / All Files / Thumbnails I use Cmd + =, but I just cannot figure out a way to be able to have a keyboard based shortcut to Snapshot the option to retain/save the choice selected for Icons / Window / All - does anyone know how to do this? 8-)

It used to be possible to enable this option on Amiga OS/WB 3.x with Tools Daemon 2.2 but with Ambient I just cannot find a way to enable it . . . as yet! 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »23.02.23 - 10:41
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    My idea would be to see what is needed most in MorphOS and bring it over.

I think homebank makes alot of sense.

Since:
    1. MorphOS doesn't have a native accounting system.
    2. It is written in MUI.
    3. It somewhat works already.
    4. I believe the sourcecode is available for it.
    5. It has really good bones for an accounting system so it would only require tweaking, such as adding for language for US applications.
    6. I'm not aware of anyone that is working on it for MorphOS.
    7. This is something that may carry a bounty to make some money with. Regardless, I might be willing to give you a little bit to get you going...

Good luck!
  • »23.02.23 - 13:49