Network no longer works 3.17 on G5.
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    Went to Preferences and network.

Says:
    Unable to open class: 'Network.mprefs'!

Should I delete some environmental setting?
  • »07.12.22 - 01:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Best run SFSDoctor. If that finds nothing, reinstall MorphOS.
  • »07.12.22 - 02:14
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Thanks Jacek...

Weird that I only had this system with a brand new ssd and a freshend G5 corrupt the OS in about 1 month.

I had to reformat everything. Will finish up tomorrow...
  • »07.12.22 - 03:55
    Templario
    Quote:

matt3 escribió:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Thanks Jacek...

Weird that I only had this system with a brand new ssd and a freshend G5 corrupt the OS in about 1 month.

One tip, make three partitions and you use one only for Internet programs.
  • »07.12.22 - 10:55
    matt3
    Is there a preferred file system? I went with SFS, but didn't know if something like pfs or similar would be better for the internet program partitian.

Wish Icefs was still being developed...
  • »07.12.22 - 18:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    There's no need for an 'internet programs' partition. Either SFS or PFS will do the job just fine. On a system with memory protection there is always a risk of the FS becoming corrupt, unfortunately. Wish you ran SFSDoctor instead of formatting, though. Most of those errors are easily fixable.

If you're worried about the data Wayfarer writes to disk, you can disable curl caches entirely in Settings.
  • »07.12.22 - 18:56
    Profile Visit Website
    KennyR
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

Thanks Jacek...

I had an SD card that did that a lot. Thought it was my RPi for years - until it did finally die and I got a new one and never saw a problem again.

Unfortunately it seems that the market is being flooded with SSD based on those kind of shitty cheap SD card chips, especially the SATA one as this is now often being considered obsolete. Don't get no-name brand cheap SSD and you're much less likely to get one that does this.
  • »07.12.22 - 20:45
    matt3
    I bet your right with the ssd being junk, that makes sense.

I bought a 120GB Transcend SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-inch SSD Solid State Disk SSD220S and thought it would be respectable. If it fails again, I'll dump it.

Thanks!
  • »08.12.22 - 01:02
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I just hope you did not move DDRs from your old G5 to the new one… ;)
  • »08.12.22 - 01:03
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    I just hope you did not move DDRs from your old G5 to the new one… ;)

LOL, nah. I left well enough alone for a change. :)

I tell you, the 2.7 is noticeably quicker than the 2.3, perhaps the 2.3 with it ram issues slowed it down. The 400MHz makes a bigger difference than the better video card for HD playback.

Now I'm wondering if the quadcore 2.0 will be any faster than the dualcore 2.7? I know memory and bus are faster and the ability to get really nice video cards, gives the newer system more speed. But will raw horsepower grunt of the 2.7 make it faster? Interesting question anyways...

Your work on Iris is sweet, can't wait until calendar and being able to schedule and respond to meeting requests, will be handy for sure!

[ Edited by matt3 07.12.2022 - 19:21 ]
  • »08.12.22 - 01:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Now I'm wondering if the quadcore 2.0 will be any faster than the dualcore 2.7?

There's no Quadcore 2.0, the only Quad is clocked at 2,5 GHz.

Quote:

I know memory and bus are faster and the ability to get really nice video cards, gives the newer system more speed. But will raw horsepower grunt of the 2.7 make it faster? Interesting question anyways...

I've owned the Dual 2,7 GHz and now I use Quad 2,5 GHz. From the tests I've made the 2,7 GHz is a bit faster in some areas (where the extra 200 MHz seems to matter) while in others the QUAD is clearly on the lead.
    I've also made some comparison tests with AmigaOne X5000 020/040 computers and the results are... well, quite interesting :)
  • »08.12.22 - 06:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    I've also made some comparison tests with AmigaOne X5000 020/040 computers and the results are... well, quite interesting :)

Is there link to results, please? I have X1000 and Quad, so I am very interested.
    And love benchmarks and tests ;-)
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »08.12.22 - 07:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    Is there link to results, please? I have X1000 and Quad, so I am very interested.

Not quite yet, but I'll publish them nice and clean with some charts as well as soon as I get some spare time.
  • »08.12.22 - 08:28
    matt3
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

sailor wrote:

Not quite yet, but I'll publish them nice and clean with some charts as well as soon as I get some spare time.

That would be very interesting thank you! Your right I meant to say dualcore pcie 2.0 system.

Once the new video drivers are completed it will be interesting what pcie cards and the bus do for performance. Based on your statements about the qc 2.5 over the dc 2.7, it will be interesting to see where the 2.0 falls in place.

If you need tests, let me know. My working system is a 2.7 with and X1950Pro AGP. I have a pcie 2.0 that a friend gave me, but I'm not going to work on that until the motherboard nic is working and the video drivers are completed.

[ Edited by matt3 08.12.2022 - 09:06 ]
  • »08.12.22 - 15:04
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

koszer wrote:

Super!
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »11.12.22 - 09:39