MorphOS beginner
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > I have an OfficeJet Pro 8035

According to specs, this is a PCL3GUI-only printer, so chances to make it work with MorphOS are slim, even with TurboPrint.

> our network printer is an Epson Workforce 4833.

This one has a good chance to work with the new MorphOS printing system as MorphOS 3.12 "Added driver for Epson ESC/P-R printers", with ESC/P-R happening to be the native language of this model.

> If the HP won't work, I'll buy one of the Turbo print compatible printers :)

I suggest using a printer that's compatible with the new MorphOS printing system (which means PostScript, PCL5, ESC/P-R, SPL2/SPLc) and not take ancient TurboPrint into account.
  • »24.11.22 - 15:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Pro 8035 understands PCL3 GUI (which is not compatible to other PCL3). I'm afraid that won't work with MorphOS new printing system and not with the old one (Turboprint) too. You may try an old HP-Deskjet-driver in Turboprint and test. And if it even works, it will print only in low resolution.

Workforce 4833: Don't find any information about his print language - I assume EPSON has its own language. But there seems to be a way to print PDF-files directly.
    So create an logical network-device for that printer (let say named PRTN: ) with netprinter.device and print a pdf direct to the device. (for help: https://library.morph.zone/Print_System)

copy <file.pdf> >PRTN:

If it works, there may be a chance that this printer can also understands postscript.

Edit: Oh, Andreas was quicker.....!!

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 24.11.2022 - 15:36 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »24.11.22 - 15:35
  • Just looking around
    StantheMorphOSMan
    That is a genuine surprise! I'll try it when my system gets here and I have it set up, and let you know. :)

Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

According to specs, this is a PCL3GUI-only printer, so chances to make it work with MorphOS are slim, even with TurboPrint.

This one has a good chance to work with the new MorphOS printing system as MorphOS 3.12 "Added driver for Epson ESC/P-R printers", with ESC/P-R happening to be the native language of this model.

I suggest using a printer that's compatible with the new MorphOS printing system (which means PostScript, PCL5, ESC/P-R, SPL2/SPLc) and not take ancient TurboPrint into account.
    Only Amiga makes it possible!
  • »30.11.22 - 20:35
  • Just looking around
    StantheMorphOSMan
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

Could you be so kind as to walk me through setting up an Epson ESC/P-R printer with the new print system? I can't find anything on it on the MorphOS CD. Nor for any printer or new print system. What am I missing?
    Only Amiga makes it possible!
  • »17.12.22 - 04:42
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ StantheMorphOSMan - The Epson file you need for that printer seems it should be in - System> MorphOS> Data> Printers> epson-escpr-wrapper, and in that printers folder there is an additional PPD folder (no icon) that has an epson.ppd.lha - not sure if you need to add that to System> Devs> Printers as I am not sure which model you actually have :-?, and I don't own such a printer, so I don't know if the epson.ppd file is required - maybe worthwhile unarchiving it and putting it in Devs> Printers anyway, if you don't need it nothing adverse will happen anyway. 8-)

However, for a PostScript printer like my HP2500 you need to use the "Printers" system printer mechanism ... NOT "Printer" (no 's' on the end). You need to physically add your PPD file (mine is "HP2500_6.PPD") into the System> Devs> Printers folder, and then using the MorphOS (System Settings) Preferences> Printers - link to it via the Drivers tab using the "Add..." button, and then select it within the Printer profile tab and also select the other methods you want to use, such as the "Output path" (printer device i.e. USBPAR, NETPAR, etc.), Options. ;-)

With a bit of luck that should be about it . . . I can't guarantee it as I don't have the printer type you have acquired for use with MorphOS, but it would be nice to know if you are successful in getting it to function correctly. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »17.12.22 - 05:40
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Could you be so kind as to walk me through setting up an Epson ESC/P-R
    > printer with the new print system? I can't find anything on it on the
    > MorphOS CD. Nor for any printer or new print system. What am I missing?

Comments #5 and #12 have a link to the article on the MorphOS Library that describes setting up a printer with the new printing system. Did you follow the steps there? If you did, at which step did it fail for you?
  • »17.12.22 - 14:46