SCSI controller module for X5000
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Why is it that the driver module for SCSI controllers has not yet been fixed...? It has been broken/disabled since the very FIRST X5000 compatible MorphOS version, and that appeared several years ago!

I have plenty of unused SCSI disk capacity which I would like to use also with MOS. And before someone adds an ignorant comment about speed: In X5000 SCSI-3 disks work faster than any USB2 media!

PS. If the excuse is the lack of testers with suitable HW, it is not valid. Here is a volunteer - just drop a PM to me!
  • »23.04.22 - 07:24
  • ASiegel
    @ Renoir

Quote:

PS. If the excuse is the lack of testers with suitable HW

Have you considered that this is not about "testers" but overall users?

Decisions regarding development priorities are guided by how many people would benefit from the work.

Quote:

And before someone adds an ignorant comment about speed

I am quite confident that nobody would have brought up performance. SCSI has had a miniscule market share for many years.

Expecting developers to devote thousands of USD/EUR worth of labor so you can avoid buying new storage media for your premium-priced X5000 desktop computer is a foolproof way to get disappointed.
  • »23.04.22 - 07:43
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    Have you considered that this is not about "testers" but overall users?

Decisions regarding development priorities are guided by how many people would benefit from the work.

The developers has not yet commented this, so we do not know their priorities and the availability of potential testers. But fixing an already existent driver is not an owerhelming task. The same problem was present also in the OS4.1 scsi driver, and it was localisez and fixed within 24 hour from my report! (It just took much longer to come available for end users, due to Hyperions update politics ;).

Quote:

I am quite confident that nobody would have brought up performance. SCSI has had a miniscule market share for many years.

I can tell you from my own experience from other forums that performance has been the primary objection when SCSI disks has been mentioned in the context of X5000.

Quote:

Expecting developers to devote thousands of USD/EUR worth of labor so you can avoid buying new storage media for your premium-priced X5000 desktop computer is a foolproof way to get disappointed.

Complete nonsense... I did not ask to develope a new driver for a new, unknown hardware but simply to fix a bug in an existent driver! insteads, developing a new driver for a sata2/3 controller, so that one could USE those "new storage media" of yours, THAT would be expensive!

Maybe you ignore that X5000 have natively only two Sata2 drive connectors, already occoupied by boot disks for different OSs, and there are not yet MOS drivers available for ANY Sata2/3 boards. Thus, it is currently impossible to connect those "new storage media" you expect me to buy.
  • »23.04.22 - 13:14
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Hi Renoir,

You might remember me from recently, where I despite your antagonistic posts here on MorphZone replicated and debugged a problem you were having with a corrupt partition table making the MorphOS installer not work correctly. I figured that maybe you just had a bad day, or that replying kindly to your not very kind messages might persuade you to change your approach to communicating with MorphOS developers and MorphOS users. Unfortunately it seems that I was wrong.

Testers are expected to be able to communicate politely as well as be able to include information with their bug reports. Therefore I will unfortunately have to decline your application to become a MorphOS tester.

The chance of a particular bug getting fixed improves greatly with how easy the bug reporter makes it to fix the bug. I can of course only speak for myself, but I'm fairly sure that there are no MorphOS developers who enjoy having to drag information about a potential bug out of someone to even have an idea what the bug report is even about.

You did in your previous reply indicate that you already know what the bug is. If that's the case, just let us know and I'm sure it'll get fixed right away. If that's a misunderstanding on my part, or not what you intended to say, then if you want your problem resolved, you're gonna have to supply some information about your hardware setup. Saying "[the SCSI driver is] broken/disabled" does not convey any actual information. It's not missing, and to the best of my knowledge it's not broken either, at least not in any way that I'm aware of.

Generally when you have a problem that's related to a specific piece of hardware, the very minimum information you'd need to provide is what hardware that is. Brand and model name/number as an absolute minimum. It's also a good idea to include information about not only which specific motherboard slot this hardware is installed in, but also exact and complete information about all other hardware that's installed in the system.

What is also usually very, very helpful is if you hook up a serial cable to the machine you're having the problem with and capture a log from a boot attempt that fails. Often such a log can point the MorphOS developers in the right direction at the very least, and sometimes even make it possible to fix bugs in minutes. As an alternative, we can also spend our time writing pointless forum replies to meaningless forum complaints. Which one of the two would you prefer?
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »23.04.22 - 15:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

Renoir wrote:
    Complete nonsense... I did not ask to develope a new driver for a new, unknown hardware but simply to fix a bug in an existent driver!

A more accurate description is that you wrote a deeply passive aggressive message that questions why an obscure and rarely referenced SCSI driver bug has not been fixed after many years of waiting.

Quote:

Maybe you ignore that X5000 have natively only two Sata2 drive connectors, already occoupied by boot disks for different OSs, and there are not yet MOS drivers available for ANY Sata2/3 boards. Thus, it is currently impossible to connect those "new storage media" you expect me to buy.

You will find the MorphOS hardware compatibility list here:
    https://www.morphos-team.net/hardware

Four years ago, MorphOS 3.10 introduced support for SiI3132 PCI Express Serial ATA II controllers at the same time when X5000 systems were added to the list of officially supported devices.
  • »24.04.22 - 08:26