PowerBook CD problem
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    When I insert any CD (including Morphos 3.15, 3.16 etc.)

The CD does not stay inside the PowerBook reader
    It is expelled for no reason.

Does anyone know how to fix this or what could be the reason.

Thanks.
  • »14.04.22 - 18:49
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    OF forces eject if the CD is unreadable. Likely a sign of the drive's age.
  • »14.04.22 - 20:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

white wrote: When I insert any CD (including Morphos 3.15, 3.16 etc.). The CD does not stay inside the PowerBook reader, it is expelled for no reason. Does anyone know how to fix this or what could be the reason. Thanks.

It's easy enough to fit a replacement compatible DVD-RW for little money, and get the system to function as you want it to, if it is the drive that has failed, but quite often all it needs is the read/write head to be cleaned with isopropyl alcohol on a small piece of tissue, stroked very lightly across the lens while the tissue is still wet with the isopropyl alcohol.

Then you just need to leave it for a short while for the liquid to evaporate in a warm room, with the lid/metal cover screwed back on over the top to stop dust from collecting on the lens once it's been cleaned. 8-)

Occasionally the ribbon membrane can fail but this is more uncommon to have happened than debris on the lens, so don't throw the drive out without first checking that it is really beyond repair - that's my suggestion, hope it works for you. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »16.04.22 - 00:41
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @jacadcaps
    @NewSense

Thanks for the tips,

Currently the cd-rom drive still does not work.

Unfortunately the drive continues to eject any inserted CD-ROM.

It actually makes it impossible to upgrade to the new version of Morphos.

I was wondering if it was possible to convert "my purchased key" to the PowerBook g4 1.67mhz 128mb of video memory.
    To be able to use it with the PowerBook g4 1.5 mhz 64mb of video memory.

Thanks,

Or are there other solutions to be able to update the morphos version without a working cd-rom drive?

Thanks.
  • »02.05.22 - 07:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

white wrote:
    Or are there other solutions to be able to update the morphos version without a working cd-rom drive?

Yes, here: https://www.morphos-team.net/guide/usb-boot
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »02.05.22 - 07:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @bigfoot

Thank you for your suggestion,

The exact steps for the PowerBook g4 and key combinations:
    APPLE KEY + ALT + F + O
    this actually works.

But sadly it makes the experience unpleasant.

If it was possible to somehow get a key to the g4 1.5 at 64mb of video it would be better.
    In exchange for the cancellation of the previous key.

If possible.

If this is not possible, I understand and thank you anyway.

In this case
    I will put them both on sale, if anyone is interested can contact me the PowerBook G4 1.67 at 128mb of video ram already has the key activated, just replace the cd player.

At this time, I cannot devote myself to this for personal reasons.

Thanks.
  • »02.05.22 - 15:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

white wrote:
    @bigfoot

APPLE KEY + ALT + F + O
    this actually works.

If the optical drive of your second PowerBook works then you could swap them. With any luck that trick would work and the experience would be pleasant again.
  • »02.05.22 - 15:48
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @koszer
    I had thought about this,
    i saw a video on youtube about how to do it:

instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTdTz18bkFA

But never having done so, I risk making a mistake (too many screws)
    etc.

the price is 200 euro both PowerBooks in case anyone is interested.

One of which with the key already activated.

[ Edited by white 02.05.2022 - 17:17 ]
  • »02.05.22 - 16:15
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

white wrote:
    @bigfoot

APPLE KEY + ALT + F + O
    this actually works.

Isn't it more unpleasant to burn a CD and use it? :) By the time it gets written you have long ago typed "boot ud:,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso" on the OF prompt :)

At least I don't want to touch CD anymore at all... always hated that media and I'm happy to be able to use USB sticks for installation.

And 1.67GHz/128MB sounds more pleasant than 1.5/64... are you a bit hasty now? :)
  • »02.05.22 - 17:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

white wrote: instructions: Replace PowerBook DVD-CD-RW drive on YouTube
    But never having done so, I risk making a mistake (too many screws), etc..

If you'd prefer to have it fixed . . . if you're prepared to send it to me I'll replace the drive for cost of a replacement DVD-RW-DL or a cheaper CDRW/DVD-ROM drive and you can pay me for just that and the cost of a courier to/from my address in UK? :-?

Send me P.M. if you're interested in this alternative? 8-)

Replacing an optical drive in a PowerBook is a fairly simple procedure really, so if you decide to want to try yourself then I would only encourage you to do so, as long as your competent with a small Philips head, and torx head screwdriver. 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »02.05.22 - 19:42
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    @white

For me better than youtube videos are repair guides from iFixitcom.
    Select your powerbook type and go on!

But the easiest installation is via USB like bigfoot and jPV said. Last week I installed my new overclocked Mini via USB - I have the same problem vith DVD like you - it is totally useless ;-)
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »02.05.22 - 19:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    @white
    Last week I installed my new overclocked Mini via USB - I have the same problem vith DVD like you - it is totally useless ;-)

Once I had a Mini with a faulty drive that started working after a blow with compressed air. Might be worth a try.
  • »02.05.22 - 20:03
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @All
    Thanks for all the replies
    and that I simply don't have the screwdrivers for such small screws :-)
    And I'm nervous.

Not being able to do it apart from the aluminum body to be lifted carefully, the rest seems simple to me.

But is the cd-rom reader of the g4 1.5mhz compatible with that of the g4 1.67 in your opinion?

Thanks.
  • »02.05.22 - 20:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    amyren
    I just updated from 3.16 to 3.17 on my PowerBook without using cd or usb, using this method.

Download the iso file and mount it.
    Then copy the MorphOSBoot:mac_ppc32/boot.img file into your Boot: partition.
    Reboot (the boot splash screen should now show 3.17)
    Mount the iso file again
    Open a shell window and type assign sys: MorphOSBoot:
    Navigate to the MorphOSBoot:WBstartup folder and launch the installation program (FirstFlight)
    Follow the instructions and the install should run just as if you booted from CD.
  • »02.05.22 - 22:11
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

white wrote: But is the cd-rom reader of the g4 1.5mhz compatible with that of the g4 1.67 in your opinion?

It should be compatible, but it may have less features, may only be a CDRW-DVD-ROM, rather than a DVD-RW/DL, but you should be able to swap the optical drive from one system to the other and get it to be useable, as they both have the same interface. 8-)

Note: ensure you use the cable from the 1.67 with the 1.67, and the 1.5 with the one from the 1.5 - you will probably not get them to work if you connect the cable from one PowerBook with the alternative one you want to use it in, as the cables are probably wired differently/different part number (slightly) - which is Apple's idiosyncrasy/idiosynchronicity. :-/
  • »03.05.22 - 05:33
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

amyren wrote:
    Navigate to the MorphOSBoot:WBstartup folder and launch the installation program (FirstFlight)

Tip: there's no need for the assign if you just launch Tools/IWizard instead of FirstFlight. Note that this isn't an officially recommended way and it might stop working in the future. Just thought to tell that assigning SYS: somewhere else might cause other issues.

Another way to avoid using CD or USB is by booting the installation media (ISO) from the HD. Copy mac_ppc32/boot.img to Boot: (maybe with a different name like bootnew.img to not mess the existing installation), and then MorphOS ISO to, for example, dh2:morphos.iso.

Then just boot from the OF prompt: boot hd:,\bootnew.img bi dh2:morphos.iso
  • »03.05.22 - 07:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Alexco
    Quote:

amyren wrote:
    I just updated from 3.16 to 3.17 on my PowerBook without using cd or usb, using this method.

Download the iso file and mount it.
    Then copy the MorphOSBoot:mac_ppc32/boot.img file into your Boot: partition.
    Reboot (the boot splash screen should now show 3.17)
    Mount the iso file again
    Follow the instructions and the install should run just as if you booted from CD.

Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Tip: there's no need for the assign if you just launch Tools/IWizard instead of FirstFlight.

This is exactly the way I do the update since years. The last CD-R I wrote is 3.7.
  • »03.05.22 - 07:56
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Why so complicated:

Download iso, copy propper boot.img to boot-partition and then copy complete MorphOS-directory to your System-Partition (drag&drop). Click away error-massages for used skin-files (they mostly dont chance, so they are'nt necessary to copy).
    Otherwise you can update them later (never had to do that since MSO2.x).
    Then reboot and copy all other files you need from outside the MorphOS-directory (on ISO) to your Systempartition. You need only to copy updated files (most of them are not) - read docs!
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »03.05.22 - 10:35
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Why so complicated:

Download iso, copy propper boot.img to boot-partition and then copy complete MorphOS-directory to your System-Partition (drag&drop). Click away error-massages for used skin-files (they mostly dont chance, so they are'nt necessary to copy).
    Otherwise you can update them later (never had to do that since MSO2.x).
    Then reboot and copy all other files you need from outside the MorphOS-directory (on ISO) to your Systempartition. You need only to copy updated files (most of them are not) - read docs!

This sounds way too complicated and time consuming for me, I'll rather use the well-working official installer that does everything for me. And I think there are several possibilities to get an unfinished installation by this handwork way. You don't get pure/script/executable bits properly set for new files, you lose your working ARexx environment, files that would be deleted by the installer won't get deleted, etc...
  • »03.05.22 - 10:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I'd never any problem by installing that way, but for sure - if someone is'nt familar with MOS-structure and MOS-installation, it's better to use installer.
    In my case, I know MOS-installation very well and want to know allways what's happening on my system (maybe, I'm not the "typical" user.... ;-) ).

Btw:
    AREXX-problems only occurs, if you don't locate rexxsys.library (68K) outside MOSSYS: in System:libs. But it's well known, that any 3rd-party-software should be located outside MOSSYS:. (Installer does'nt touch files outside MOSSYS:)
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »03.05.22 - 12:30
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    @All
    Ok,
    thanks once again for the suggestions.
    I blew into the cd player :-)

The cd started working again.
    I guess it's dust or the lens is dirty I have no idea.

Without disassembling the cd (since the "torx" kit costs 25 euros)
    I guess it is the dust or the lens that creates this problem.
    I'll try to find something blowing inside.
    Not compressed air cans, those only do damage.

Suggestions?

Thanks again.
  • »03.05.22 - 13:14
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    I'd never any problem by installing that way

Or you just haven't noticed. In any case it's hard to get the sytem like the developers have intended. You don't know if they have deleted some obsolete files, are commands that should be resident really resident, did you really notice to copy all changed files, etc?

Quote:

AREXX-problems only occurs, if you don't locate rexxsys.library (68K) outside MOSSYS: in System:libs. But it's well known, that any 3rd-party-software should be located outside MOSSYS:. (Installer does'nt touch files outside MOSSYS:)

But when you copy the SYS:MorphOS/ manually, you get the non-working rexxsyslib.library installed in MOSSYS:... doesn't that cause any problems or is there some magic in MorphOS for this case? When you use the installer, that doesn't happen.
  • »03.05.22 - 16:33
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Oh, I would know if there where any problems with MorphOS. I use 5 Powermac G5 in my office and some Powerbooks in the "field" outside. Do nearly all the work with MOS - every day! And the most problems ever occured, are comming from User-Progs - not MorphOS.

Arexx: You certainly are right - my fault, you have to delete it manualy (was in hurry and wrote without thinking.....).
  • »03.05.22 - 20:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    What I forgot: Normaly MOS should use libs outside MOSSYS: if they are newer versions (afaik)........think Geit explained that some time ago.
    Unfortunately rexxsys.library-dummy has a higher version then the old 68K-library.

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 04.05.2022 - 10:29 ]
  • »04.05.22 - 08:03