"Hybrid" 3.16 installation media cannot update X5000!
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    The 'hybrid' installation media does not work with X5000. It cannot update my existing MOS 3.15 installation which is on a hard disk connected to the onboard Sata controller. If I try, it refuses with this message: "Can't find any MorphOS installation to to upddate!" Ironically, the icon of this previous installation is shown on the Workbench! Again one braindead installer...

Isn't there a working 3.16 installer, specific for X5000? I'm pretty sure there was such for some earlier MOS versions.
  • »07.04.22 - 04:35
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Hi there,

I used that exact installation media a few weeks ago to update an X5000, as have other MorphOS users, so it is the right one for installation on the X5000. Unfortunately it seems that you're running into some issue, so let's see if we can figure it out.

First make sure that you booted from the installation media and not from your existing installation. Right click on empty space on the desktop to activate the top menus, then from the first menu select "About MorphOS". At the top it should say "Version 3.16" and then a date. If it doesn't, you didn't boot from the installation media.

Next check that the partition you're trying to update is validated. Hold the right mouse button over the partition icon on the desktop and select "information". On the right hand side of the window, it should say "Status: validated".

Also I can't imagine that this isn't the case, but it is one of the checks the installer does. Open HDConfig from the Tools drawer of your MorphOS installation, then click on your boot partition to open the details for the partition. There are some radio buttons on the top right where the one that says "boot with priority" should be selected. If it's not, select it and save the changes.

Next, make sure that you didn't accidentally modify the existing MorphOS installation. Open the partition you want to update on the desktop, then select All Files from the drop-down box in the top right corner of the window. There should be a folder called "MorphOS" as well as a MorphOS.readme file.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »07.04.22 - 05:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

.First make sure that you booted from the installation media and not from your existing installation. Right click on empty space on the desktop to activate the top menus, then from the first menu select "About MorphOS". At the top it should say "Version 3.16" and then a date. If it doesn't, you didn't boot from the installation media.

Checked, it is 3.16. Also Uboot shows that it is the installation media which is chosen for booting. Besides, the 'First flight' window appears automatically on screen, and it is possble to start the installer.

Quote:

Next check that the partition you're trying to update is validated. Hold the right mouse button over the partition icon on the desktop and select "information". On the right hand side of the window, it should say "Status: validated".

Checked, it is validated.

Quote:

Also I can't imagine that this isn't the case, but it is one of the checks the installer does. Open HDConfig from the Tools drawer of your MorphOS installation, then click on your boot partition to open the details for the partition. There are some radio buttons on the top right where the one that says "boot with priority" should be selected. If it's not, select it and save the changes.

HDconfig sees the disk and the partitions on it (boot partition is SFS), but I cannot open the 'edit...' window for any of the partitions. If I try, the menubar flashes red for a second but nothing happens.

Quote:

Next, make sure that you didn't accidentally modify the existing MorphOS installation. Open the partition you want to update on the desktop, then select All Files from the drop-down box in the top right corner of the window. There should be a folder called "MorphOS" as well as a MorphOS.readme file.

Checked, they are present.

I have also a second installation on a USB stick, and 'updater' sees the boot partition but says it is not formatted?! But this is not true as I can boot from it! HDconfig lists this boot partition as 'SFS NODOS'.
  • »07.04.22 - 06:01
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    PS. I have both on the hard disk and the USB stick also a NTFS parttion. Could it be somehow the source of the problems...?

I DID a long time ago ask in another thread (which I just reactivated) advice HOW a NTFS partition should correctly be created on a MOS disk, but did not get then ANY information from MOS developers!
  • »07.04.22 - 07:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    It shouldn't be due to NTFS, but I can't rule anything out at this point. Most likely is that whatever is causing your HDConfig problems is causing your MorphOS installation problems as well, so I'd like to figure out what's going on there and get it solved.

So just to confirm, when you say 'edit...', what exactly do you mean/do? Do you just left click on the partition in the window, or something else?
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »07.04.22 - 09:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    It shouldn't be due to NTFS, but I can't rule anything out at this point. Most likely is that whatever is causing your HDConfig problems is causing your MorphOS installation problems as well, so I'd like to figure out what's going on there and get it solved.

So just to confirm, when you say 'edit...', what exactly do you mean/do? Do you just left click on the partition in the window, or something else?

I have tried two ways:
    1) Click the partition with left button
    2) Click the partition with right button and select from the popup menu "Edit partition..."

Both give just a red flash on the main menubar.
  • »07.04.22 - 10:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Right, and last question for now: Which partition table format do you use? I assume it's RDB, but I just want to be sure. I think it'll tell you if you hold the right mouse button on the drive icon in HDConfig.
  • »07.04.22 - 11:09
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Actually, one more question again: Which locale are you using?
  • »07.04.22 - 11:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

bigfoot wrote:
    Right, and last question for now: Which partition table format do you use? I assume it's RDB, but I just want to be sure. I think it'll tell you if you hold the right mouse button on the drive icon in HDConfig.

This is peculiar... In HDConfig none of the three options (RDB/MBR/MAC) is selected. But when I checked it via Linux, Gparted reported the partition table is "Amiga" which means the same as RDB. Media Toolbox (OS 4.1) says the status for the disk is 'Defective RDB', as usual for MOS disks.

The locale is "Suomi".
  • »07.04.22 - 12:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Thank you, that info gives me a pretty good idea what the problem is.

I think that part of your RDB is damaged - either a filesystem or a bootloader stored in the RDB has been corrupted, probably by other partitioning tools. Unfortunately it seems that HDConfig runs into a bit of an error state when that's the case. I'll fix that for 3.17 at the very least.
  • »07.04.22 - 12:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

I think that part of your RDB is damaged - either a filesystem or a bootloader stored in the RDB has been corrupted, probably by other partitioning tools. Unfortunately it seems that HDConfig runs into a bit of an error state when that's the case. I'll fix that for 3.17 at the very least.

Ok, that's fine! If it helps you, I can also 'dump' my RDB to a file and send it to you. Just give me the correct size parameters for Linux's 'dd'.
  • »07.04.22 - 15:06
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

Renoir schrieb:
    Quote:

Ok, that's fine! If it helps you, I can also 'dump' my RDB to a file and send it to you. Just give me the correct size parameters for Linux's 'dd'.

You can also use MorphOS shell tool hdread to do that. Not exactly sure what your HD device is but it should work something like this:

Code:
    hdread ide.device 0 0 64 512 ram:rdb_dump.bin

Just change device name and/or unit in 1st and 2nd parameter to read the first 64 sectors to a file rdb_dump.bin

Arguments are Device/A,Unit/A/N,Sector/A,Count/A/N,SectorSize/N,File
  • »07.04.22 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:

You can also use MorphOS shell tool hdread to do that. Not exactly sure what your HD device is but it should work something like this:

Code:
    hdread ide.device 0 0 64 512 ram:rdb_dump.bin 

Thanks for the tip! Seemed to work ok.
  • »08.04.22 - 19:08