Elastic Dreams
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    I've tried to install Elastic Dreams on my PowerMac G5 and it just comes up with the following error when I try to run it;

"No hexview yet for"

What am I doing wrong?

I've only tried it on my G5 so far, so I might try it on my MacMini to see if that works at all.

Any help much appreciated.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »13.01.22 - 09:48
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Zetec-s - Elastic Dreams is a 68k executable with, if you had PPC hardware (603e/604e PPC on an accelerator card) at the time it was released in the Classic Amiga era would take advantage of that hardware too, as well as a FPU.

However, if I remember correctly, it is much like Candy Factory Pro - very flaky/unstable, if runnable at all for MorphOS, and in any case it seems like you've not got it installed correctly as it should install the 68k executable, and copy the icon to the executable .info, assign a directory on your system where it all was installed to via the user-startup script, and be able to run it from there. As the "No hexview yet for" message is an indication that you've not got the program installed correctly as it is intended, as the installation Demo file for Elastic Dreams off Aminet does install as it should, it just halts on the main opening screen (blank page), well that's all it gets to on my MacMini.

I don't think Elastic Dreams works stably or at all with MorphOS, as is the case with Candy Factory Pro, so I would just not bother installing it to try to get it working on MorphOS, as you'll spend time probably getting nowhere other than frustrated with it not loading. :-(

Elastic Dreams was from the same "stable" as BurnIt, Papyrus Office, from Titan Computer.de, along with MotionStudios which is where Candy Factory Pro also originated, IIRC, all of which were quite unstable. That's if Papyrus Office ever got completed fully, as I don't think it ever was fully released.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »13.01.22 - 12:07
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Zetec-s wrote:
    I've tried to install Elastic Dreams on my PowerMac G5 and it just comes up with the following error when I try to run it;

"No hexview yet for"

What am I doing wrong?

If you right-click the executable, what does it say as the title of the pop-up menu? Sounds like it doesn't recognize it as an executable file...

Anyway, Elastic Dreams works on my Mac mini... I haven't really used it much, but just occasional tries by drawing some effect and see it animated, haven't noticed any problems with this one minute of playing or so :)

I think I haven't installed it on MorphOS, but just copied an installed dir from my A1200. So, maybe installation itself doesn't work for some reason? Maybe it even tries to patch the exe and fails there if it doesn't seem to be a recognizeable file?
  • »13.01.22 - 14:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    Quote:

jPV wrote:

If you right-click the executable, what does it say as the title of the pop-up menu? Sounds like it doesn't recognize it as an executable file...

That is definitely something to do with it as it states its a Datatype at the moment. How do I change this to an executable? I probably knew how to do that 20 years ago on AmigaOS but my memory has faded a bit.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »13.01.22 - 15:18
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Zetec-s wrote:
    That is definitely something to do with it as it states its a Datatype at the moment. How do I change this to an executable? I probably knew how to do that 20 years ago on AmigaOS but my memory has faded a bit.

Check if it has Readable and Executable protection bits set (from Icon Information, for example).

If it's not that, do other 68k executables show up correctly on the menu? So that we can count out misconfiguration in OS.

Third option would be a corrput file...

[ Edited by jPV 13.01.2022 - 18:31 ]
  • »13.01.22 - 17:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    To start Elastic you have to install it with installer from CD! Seems that main-file is converted during installation to your choosen system. There are some versions on CD: 68K (020,030,040,060) and PPC (PowerUP/WarpUP) and then there are drivers (showing-modules) for ECS/AGA, CGFX(!!), P96, Grafiti, Retina.....etc.

But:
    There is no way (I found none) to set mainscreen at beginn. It seem that there is always opened a 640x480 58Hz-Screen, which my LCD (PowerMac G5) cannot handle (out of range) - so I cannot say whether Elastic is now running or not...(it seems it does, but takes over whole system....)
    On my A3K it opens a 640x480x24Bit P96 screen, which I have never choosen. I think installer does set this automatically, when choosing a showing-module....
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »13.01.22 - 19:06