Installing MOS 3.15 on G5 with X1950Pro not working
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    matt3
    I'm trying to get Morphos installed on my G5 with the 1950.

I'm using a spare power supply to power the 1950 (until my molex to sata cord comes in)

I hold down C on the keyboard to boot from the MOS CD and nothing seems to happen. Caps lock doesn't light up on the keyboard and the screen remains black.

Any ideas on how to get it going?
  • »27.03.21 - 12:23
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    If this is a PC card, you need a bootable HD preinstalled or a 2nd graphics card to use the C key. Without an OpenFirmware supported card, the boot hotkeys do not work at all.
  • »27.03.21 - 12:45
    Profile Visit Website
    matt3
    Ok, I tried the ATI card that came with it. Mac OS says it's a RV351. I did look up and one website claims it a 9600 chip so I thought I would try it.

I tried booting off morphos cd and it locks up during the boot up process on a white screen. It does read the cd and boots for a bit, it doesn't get to the MOS splash screen.

Any ideas?

[ Edited by matt3 27.03.2021 - 08:13 ]
  • »27.03.21 - 14:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Ok, I tried the ATI card that came with it. Mac OS says it's a RV351. I did look up and one website claims it a 9600 chip so I thought I would try it.

I tried booting off morphos cd and it locks up during the boot up process on a white screen. It does read the cd and boots for a bit, it doesn't get to the MOS splash screen.

Any ideas?

Any additional cards inside your G5?
  • »27.03.21 - 15:04
    matt3
    Turned out the MOS CD wasn't good.

Nothing is in the system except the video card and a new blank SSD.

Got everything booted and installed MOS just perfect.

When I rebooted it didn't autoboot into MOS, it just asked for an OS. I put the CD in and it looks like MOS setup the SSD perfectly. There are 3 partitions, one boot with HSF and the system is bootable and work is the remaining. Everything is readable and seems normal, it just won't boot off the SSD. I choose an OWC SSD since they seem to be Mac friendly.
  • »27.03.21 - 16:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

matt3 wrote:
    Got everything booted and installed MOS just perfect.

When I rebooted it didn't autoboot into MOS, it just asked for an OS. I put the CD in and it looks like MOS setup the SSD perfectly. There are 3 partitions, one boot with HSF and the system is bootable and work is the remaining. Everything is readable and seems normal, it just won't boot off the SSD. I choose an OWC SSD since they seem to be Mac friendly.

Did you mess with the partitions during installation or did you use the "auto partition" option?
    What does the Open Firmware say when you type:

Code:
    printenv boot-device

?
  • »27.03.21 - 16:24
    matt3
    I didn't touch anything and MOS did it's thing on install.

PrintEnv Boot-device info:
    boot-device Common hd:,\\tbxi Signature 0x70 hd:,\\tbxi
  • »27.03.21 - 16:31
    matt3
    OK, I got it all working.

Strange, I had to initially connect the ssd to the spare SATA connector and it booted fine. I tried the 1950 and it works great. After I rebooted again it wouldn't boot and I had to switch the SSD over to the first SATA connector. Weird, maybe with the battery being dead it decides what it wants to do. :).

Will replace the battery soon.

LOL it keep switching sata ports every time I reboot... Is this because of the battery?

Thanks for the help!

[ Edited by matt3 27.03.2021 - 12:48 ]
  • »27.03.21 - 18:04