Would upgrading from G4 Mini to G5 make sense?
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    I am using a Mac Mini G4 with 1GB ram installed in it. I am not much satisfied with the emulation of classic Amiga and PS1 (haven't tried others) and browsing. Would it be a big leap upgrading to G5?

I do not have any idea about MAC hardware old or new. :)
  • »18.01.21 - 19:05
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    G5 is much snappier than the G4 esp. with more heavy loads, also fan pitch sound is way less annoying. Comparing G4 1.67GHz in PB to 2.0GHz in PM. I had a mini G4 but sold it, though I have to say it was way bigger performance upgrade going from G3 to G4 than G4 to G5.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »18.01.21 - 19:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Korni schrieb:
    G5 is much snappier than the G4 esp. with more heavy loads, also fan pitch sound is way less annoying. Comparing G4 1.67GHz in PB to 2.0GHz in PM. I had a mini G4 but sold it, though I have to say it was way bigger performance upgrade going from G3 to G4 than G4 to G5.

At least upgrade from Mac mini or 1.67 GHz Powerbook to an iMac G5 iShight (1.8 GHz) is not that much of a performance step. In fact it seems to be a mixed bag. MPLayer is a good share faster, but for example Wayfarer is very similar, if not faster on the G4 1.67.
    That said the G5 iSight is really a nice machine which I enjoy very much (and it consumes surprisingly little energy).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »18.01.21 - 19:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Don't want to open can of worm but I wish I could just install MorphOS on one my old/new laptops. At this stage, it is pretty usable for a daily drive but the hardware limits it severely.
  • »18.01.21 - 20:13
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

retrolinuz schrieb:
    Don't want to open can of worm but I wish I could just install MorphOS on one my old/new laptops. At this stage, it is pretty usable for a daily drive but the hardware limits it severely.

That's not opening a can of worms. Probably most MorphOS users are awaiting the x64 switch. And switch is being worked on (demo shown already a while ago), but it isn't easy, it#s a lot of work.
    Hence we'll have to live with ppc kit for a while. MorphOS is great, but you need some patience.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »18.01.21 - 22:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    analogkid
    Well, to be honest, there are not that much differences in speed, if you compare some of the faster G4 machines with a modest G5. Due to the faster memory access, the G5 is able to play 720p videos properly, which won't work on any G4 machine without heavy frameskipping.

A G4 Mac mini only can have 1 GB of RAM, while the G5 can use upto 1,76 GB. MorphOS and its applications have a little memory footprint, but this makes a difference when doing memory demanding tasks like browsing with OWB or Wayfarer.

Oh, and it's easier to upgrade the harddisk of the G5, as you can use SATA drives without any adapter. On a Mac mini you are limited to PATA drives (or you are using mSATA drives with a PATA adapter).
  • »19.01.21 - 08:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Zetec-s
    I started out trying modern Morphos on a MacMini last summer, just as the smaller form factor would mean it wouldn't take up much room in the house.

I then moved onto a PowerBook G4 so that I could use MorphOS downstairs in front of the telly in a evening when I was away from desk.

But then when Wayfarer came out I got a real desire to get some more power, as that is literally the only problem with MorphOS, and when a G5 Quad was offered for free near to me I took the opportunity and haven't looked back since.

I still use the MacMini, it sits on my desk whilst the G5 sits next to it, and run bought through a KVM switch box, with the MacMini good when I want to do something quickly and the G5 good when I want to do something where power is more required, particularly as the heat seems to build up quickly on my MacMini.

I love both machines, but the G5 is the one I think gives me the best Morphos experience and also has brought me back to tinkering with computers like I used to with my PowerTower A1200 20 years ago.
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz/2GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Powerbook 1.67Ghz/1.5GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    MacMini 1.5Ghz/1GB MorphOS 3.18 Registered
    Efika 5200B 400Mhz/128MB MorphOS 2.3 Registered
  • »19.01.21 - 13:47
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    Oh, and it's easier to upgrade the harddisk of the G5, as you can use SATA drives without any adapter. On a Mac mini you are limited to PATA drives (or you are using mSATA drives with a PATA adapter).

That said, not all SATA drives will work with PowerMac G5 controller. It's generally safe to assume that all SATA-I and most SATA-II drives will work but hardly any SATA-III will.
  • »19.01.21 - 15:47
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Thanks everyone for your feedback. Looks like it doesn't make much sense to upgrade at this moment unless I find a G5 machine at a reasonable price. I think I'll keep MorphOS as a hobby OS that I use to connect to BBSes or to try some of those new Amiga softwares popping up here and there.

Wayfarer is an awesome browser and it fits my needs in its current stage, but the hardware is too limiting.

Crossing my fingers for the x64 switch. :)
  • »19.01.21 - 16:16
    analogkid
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:

That said, not all SATA drives will work with PowerMac G5 controller. It's generally safe to assume that all SATA-I and most SATA-II drives will work but hardly any SATA-III will.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I'm pretty sure that I'm using a SATA-III SSD in my G5.And that SSD is no magic mystery device. It's a standard device.

[ Edited by analogkid 19.01.2021 - 16:39 ]
  • »19.01.21 - 16:38
    analogkid
    https://www.intenso.de/produkte/solid-state-drives/2%2C5%22-SSD-High-Performance

This one is a SATA-III SSD, isn't it? Serious question.

I'm using the 240 GB version in a Powermac G5 (7.3, DualCPU 2.0 GHz).
  • »19.01.21 - 21:04
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>>> It's generally safe to assume that [...]
    >>>> hardly any SATA-III [drive] will [work].

>>> I'm not sure what you mean

>> https://morph.zone/modules/newbb_plus/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12583&forum=11&start=1

> [...] This one is a SATA-III SSD, isn't it?

Yes, seems so. And I don't see how this SSD working in your PowerMac G5 contradicts what was said in this thread. Nobody claimed that SATA3 drives categorically cannot work in a PowerMac G5. What was said here is that hardly any of them would work, and in the linked thread it was said that some of them wouldn't work. I guess the truth lies somewhere in between :-)
  • »19.01.21 - 21:15
    analogkid
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    Yes, seems so. And I don't see how this SSD working in your PowerMac G5 contradicts what was said in this thread.

Well, it's the slight difference between "hardly any drive will work" and "the first drive I tried works OOTB".

Quote:

Nobody claimed that SATA3 drives categorically cannot work in a PowerMac G5. What was said here is that hardly any of them would work.

Welcome to the wonderful world of nit-picking.
  • »20.01.21 - 10:39
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    Well, it's the slight difference between "hardly any drive will work" and "the first drive I tried works OOTB".

Then I'm happy for you but the first SATA-III drive I tried didn't work OOTB or any time later. The computer saw the disk, even tried to partition it but with no effect whatsoever. And no matter if I used OSX or MorphOS. Strangely enough it worked straight away in my wife's laptop.
    I also heard numerous reports from other users that they had trouble with newer harddrives in their G5's.

If we are to make some rule then I believe a statistically significant group is needed and one is not nearly enough.
  • »20.01.21 - 11:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> Yes, seems so. And I don't see how this SSD working in
    >> your PowerMac G5 contradicts what was said in this thread.

> Well, it's the slight difference between "hardly any drive will
    > work" and "the first drive I tried works OOTB".

No, it's not, because the former does not preclude the latter. You just want to see a contradiction where there is none, at least not without having enough data for representative statistics and an exact definition of "hardly any".

>> Nobody claimed that SATA3 drives categorically cannot work in a
    >> PowerMac G5. What was said here is that hardly any of them would work.

> Welcome to the wonderful world of nit-picking.

There is no nit-picking, just someone who deliberately misunderstands what was actually written. Did the thought cross your mind that you may have just been lucky with your choice of SSD? Anyway, you may want to add your SSD model to that thread for others to find.
  • »20.01.21 - 15:39
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

analogkid wrote:
    https://www.intenso.de/produkte/solid-state-drives/2%2C5%22-SSD-High-Performance

This one is a SATA-III SSD, isn't it? Serious question.

I'm using the 240 GB version in a Powermac G5 (7.3, DualCPU 2.0 GHz).

Thanks, I haven't dared to buy random SSDs myself, but I ordered couple of these now because of your confirmation (and they seemed to be cheap too) :)
  • »20.01.21 - 16:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    I tried a Kingston A400 240GB SATA 3 in my G5 and can confirm it did not work.
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB