how to (dis)connect wifi quick?
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Is there a screenbar plugin or something to quickly change the network i'm in or at least an on/off toggle for wifi?

I am using the network statistic screenbar thingy, but this one does not even recognise a lost in connection, neither does Wayfarer do. I disconnect now by disabling the wireless in the preferences, as there is no button to be found that disconnects to a connected wifi anywhere?

Would be nice to have the network stats equipped with a button to connect/disconnect tho.

[ Edited by amifrog 21.11.2020 - 17:54 ]
  • »21.11.20 - 17:33
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    WirelessManager takes Arexx commands, so you can do something like
    Code:
    rxcmd WLANMNGR.1 "reassociate"

to force re-connection. Issuing 'netconfig autoconfig' in a shell may also do the trick.
  • »21.11.20 - 20:57
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    I don't nèed it to automaticly reconnect. I want to switch off the connection at my will.
    When i re-activate the wlan-device in preferences, it immediately shows the last wifi connection as green/connected. i don't like that. it should rather offer the known/detected wifi networks as available for me to connect to. There is only a forget button, i don't even know what to think of that, it doesn't make any sense as it probably finds the forgotten APs the next second again.
    And to repeat this again: the system doesn't seem to recognise a lost connection to the network/internet. It just waits til timeout but still don't know the reason.
  • »22.11.20 - 20:51
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

I want to switch off the connection at my will.

Then you can send a 'disconnect' to WLANMNGR.1.

Quote:

When i re-activate the wlan-device in preferences, it immediately shows the last wifi connection as green/connected. i don't like that. it should rather offer the known/detected wifi networks as available for me to connect to.

I haven't seen a behaviour like that on any other OS and isn't how the underlying (Linux-ported) systems work.
  • »23.11.20 - 00:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

When i re-activate the wlan-device in preferences, it immediately shows the last wifi connection as green/connected. i don't like that. it should rather offer the known/detected wifi networks as available for me to connect to.

I haven't seen a behaviour like that on any other OS and isn't how the underlying (Linux-ported) systems work.

Windows offers the option to "automatically connect to this network when in range" for every wi-fi network.

In fact, MacOS offers an "auto-join" checkmark in its list of saved wi-fi networks as well.

Also, Ubuntu offers a similar option.
  • »23.11.20 - 02:16
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Yes, it is an option everywhere.
  • »23.11.20 - 16:04