MorphOS presentation for AmiWest (was 2020, now 2021)
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Hi everyone,

The broadcaster for the events at the 2020 AmiWest Show is requesting a 15 to 30 minute live (via a Zoom call) presentation of MorphOS3.14 and the new Wayfarer web browser. I have already asked jadacaps if he could do it, but he is not available. Are there any of you who would be interested in doing such a presentation and Q&A session this Saturday afternoon (Pacific Time)?

Bill says that he can be flexible regarding the exact time, but it would need to be some time between 2pm and 5pm (1400 and 1700) Pacific Time on October 24th. It will be conducted via a Zoom call, and he also suggested that a remote desktop could be incorporated, to display the MorphOS Amibient desktop, instead of streaming a video of MorphOS running, but I am still not exactly clear on the details of how it will be done.

I can try to do it myself, but it will be difficult for me to prepare in time, as I have been away from home for several days, and don't even have a MorphOS system set up in my house at this point in time. For this reason and others, I am hoping I can get one of the members here to step up and do the presentation via the Zoom call, even though I know it is a last minute request.

[ Edited by amigadave 29.03.2021 - 18:39 ]
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »22.10.20 - 04:07
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Setup VNC server at MorphOS -> Connect any VNC viewer from your PC to MorphOS -> Connect Zoom from your PC to AmiWest's PC -> Share screen at Zoom -> Use your MorphOS.

Your local PC and MorphOS should preferably be connected via LAN.

Though the refresh screen of Ambient won't be snappy as native usage, it will be sufficient for a presentation :)
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »22.10.20 - 08:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

It will be conducted via a Zoom call, and he also suggested that a remote desktop could be incorporated, to display the MorphOS Amibient desktop, instead of streaming a video of MorphOS running, but I am still not exactly clear on the details of how it will be done.

Not only are there performance issues from VNC itself, there are also image quality issues. This is compounded by the delay and quality issues arising from Zoom itself. Not to mention that the Zoom connection quality issues that would arise if someone from the other side of the pond would attempt to present.

Any sensible presentation would only make sense if prerecorded from the graphical output with professional grade recording equipment, and the presentation played back direct to the stream.

In short, there is no way to make work it in such a short time frame and with the options made available.

[ Edited by Piru 22.10.2020 - 12:08 ]
  • »22.10.20 - 09:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Samurai_Crow
    Adding to what Piru said, Zoom calls require either a MorphOS version of a closed-source app or high performance JIT based JavaScript in the browser. Wayfarer doesn't have fast JavaScript and MorphOS doesn't have the Zoom app. Zoom screen-share won't work.
  • »22.10.20 - 13:08
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    @Samurai_Crow

You could share the VNC client, as described by Cool_amigaN. It would look like shit though: First you'd have lag and slowness from the VNC, then from Zoom and finally from streaming the Zoom client.
  • »22.10.20 - 14:57
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Piru wrote:
    @Samurai_Crow

You could share the VNC client, as described by Cool_amigaN. It would look like shit though: First you'd have lag and slowness from the VNC, then from Zoom and finally from streaming the Zoom client.

Thanks to everyone for your informative answers. Not exactly what I was hoping for, and I doubt that I, or anyone else will have time to create a new video of MorphOS before it is needed, but perhaps I can recommend an already finished video presentation that has been made, for the AmiWest broadcaster to use simply by playing it back on his PC, and afterwards, have a Q&A session with any of the experienced users, or developers who are available to participate in a Zoom video chat, or if that is inconvenient, a simple text chat?

Surely there must be a few videos out in the wild that show MorphOS3.14 running, and Wayfarer browsing the Internet? A discussion about the changes made between MorphOS3.13 and 3.14 might be interesting to some users, since those changes were needed to allow Wayfarer to work on MorphOS, and many AmigaOS4 users will ask why Wayfarer can't be ported to the OS they prefer.

Pointing out the improvements that are constantly being added to MorphOS is (IMHO) the best way to create interest in MorphOS within the larger Amiga community, without any bashing being done, which always does more harm than good.

Are any of you interested in participating in the AmiWest presentation by simply doing a short description of MorphOS3.14 improvements, and answering some questions after the AmiWest broadcaster plays one or two videos of MorphOS3.14 running?
  • »22.10.20 - 18:58
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I have two NewTek TriCasters that could do this. I’m not sure what’s required to be shown though? At least my setup is broadcast quality, no Skype or Zoom call mess.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »22.10.20 - 19:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • rob
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    rob
    A video of the MorphOS demonstration could be pre-recorded to include in the Zoom call while the caller talks us through the features and software they are showing.

This might be the preferencial option regardless of MorphOS' inability to connect to the zoom call.
  • »22.10.20 - 22:44
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    So this did not happen, was there actually some video/presentation prepared for anyone interested?
  • »25.10.20 - 14:28
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Skateman
    To bad,

xeno74 has his AmigaONE X5000/20 up and running with MorphOS and Wayfarer. Retry at AmiWest 2021 that is...
  • »25.10.20 - 17:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    I offered to record a video and demo MorphOS too but I got no response. I Actually have the professional video equipment to show it the right way.
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »26.10.20 - 02:28
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @discreetfx

Did you offer it to the Amiwest organizers? This is really all that counts. If anybody would like to show off MorphOS, they can.
  • »26.10.20 - 02:52
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    discreetfx
    The request came up at the last minute on this site so I didn’t contact the organizers. I’m not one of the developers of MorphOS so would not want to show or represent it without prior approval from the MorphOS Team.

[ Edited by discreetfx 26.10.2020 - 05:55 ]
    DiscreetFX
    Making your
    Digital Films
    More Effective!
  • »26.10.20 - 11:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ discreetfx

Quote:

The request came up at the last minute on this site so I didn’t contact the organizers. I’m not one of the developers of MorphOS so would not want to show or represent it without prior approval from the MorphOS Team.

Anybody who would like to give a fair demonstration of MorphOS in public has the approval of the MorphOS development team.
  • »26.10.20 - 15:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

discreetfx wrote:

Yes, it was a last minute request by the organizers, who try to provide information on all platforms related to the Amiga, at AmiWest Shows. Bill apologized for his last minute request, and up until about a few weeks before the show, I still was planning on attending in person, so a prepared presentation via video would not have been needed. I hope to prepare earlier for next year, and if anyone wants to produce a video of MorphOS or any of it's included programs, I'll always be thankful for the assistance.
  • »27.10.20 - 16:29
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

Yes, I informed the organizers that I am planning to rent a display table at AmiWest during Oct. of 2021, so if anyone has any videos of MorphOS running demos, or games, or demonstrating any productivity software, I can play those videos on my Window laptop, sitting next to which ever MorphOS systems I decide to take to the show with me. Having some MorphOS videos ready for the show will also ensure that something is presented during this AmiWest Show, in case for any reason I have to cancel going to the show in person. So, if anyone wants to suggest any videos for me to play during the show, or has videos they want to send to me, let me know. Hopefully it will be safe enough for me to go to Sacramento for this year's AmiWest Show. I haven't properly displayed MorphOS at an AmiWest show for a few years now (well, some people may say that I've never REALLY shown MorphOS properly at any AmiWest Show, but at least I have tried to do so a few years in the past). I'm always looking for help and any ideas for what to demonstrate during my MorphOS display at the show. I do not plan on doing an official presentation, but would be open to helping someone else, if some user wants to show up at AmiWest, and needs help preparing a presentation.
  • »27.03.21 - 14:23
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

amigadave wrote:
    I haven't properly displayed MorphOS at an AmiWest show for a few years now (well, some people may say that I've never REALLY shown MorphOS properly at any AmiWest Show, but at least I have tried to do so a few years in the past).

Tried looking at You Tube MOS videos, they arent either quality enough or modern enough (showing 3.15).

Cant help since I am no US citizen, but in re-thinking the presentation I would go with

a) Displaying it has Live CD, its fast to install and supports quite a lot PPC hardware incl. SAM460 and X5000 (beyond most of G4 and G5 ATI Macs). Explaining its based on modern incarnations of last and best in Amiga World (MUI, USB stack, AHI ...) and first to go native PPC.

b) Displaying good package of bundled apps, which is unparalleled in AOS world
    https://library.morph.zone/Applications

c) Showing layer that is brought by Crysalis pack - like Wayfarer, Iris, Dock, menu options to launch apps. Showing Wayfarer vs Safari on MacOS X as display of capable and faster browser on same hardware or vs Odyssey MOS-OS4/paid Ibrowse 2.5. Explaining its most capable AOS world browser where Google Maps, Google Docs and many modern website do work

d) Displaying some MOS native 3rd party games and apps to show it has some eco-system

5 minutes each section. Having such video on You Tube, and as High Quality offline video on PC and MOS machine.
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »27.03.21 - 17:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Showing Wayfarer vs Safari on MacOS X

Comparing with a decade-old browser? More fair comparison would be against TenFourFox or something on Linux.
  • »27.03.21 - 18:28
  • vox
    vox
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Showing Wayfarer vs Safari on MacOS X

Comparing with a decade-old browser? More fair comparison would be against TenFourFox or something on Linux.

Surely, lastest Ten-Four-Fox or Firefox on PPC Linux :)
    ------------------------------------------
    iMac G5 1GB with MorphOS and MacOS X
    Lame PC with AmiKit XE
    YT channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdHl_msNWHEVPf229h_gijQ
    Telegram Amiga group: https://t.me/amigaranchorelaxo
  • »28.03.21 - 15:55
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Safari is uptodate. Just not on PPC.
    That aside, please show the general usability; (re)boot time, error handling, some apps, maybe emulation?
    And have a modern theme to show off, some customizations and such..
  • »28.03.21 - 16:17
  • K-L
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    K-L
    >> Tried looking at You Tube MOS videos, they arent either quality enough or modern enough (showing 3.15).

I made a video (only in French, sorry) showing Internet tools on MorphOS. I wanted to translate it but never found the time (nor did I find the time to make others).

https://video.triplea.fr/videos/watch/266ae0fb-f16b-422e-99cb-a6acb955fc31
    PowerMac G5 2,7 Ghz / Radeon 9650 / MorphOS 3.15
    AmigaOne X1000 (unused ATM)
  • »28.03.21 - 17:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>> Showing Wayfarer vs Safari on MacOS X

>> Comparing with a decade-old browser? More fair comparison
    >> would be against TenFourFox or something on Linux.

> Surely, [...] Firefox on PPC Linux :)

...or SpiderWeb or Arctic Fox or something WebKit-based like Midori.
  • »28.03.21 - 18:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Safari is uptodate. Just not on PPC.

Yes, but PPC is what "on same hardware" means.
  • »28.03.21 - 18:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    @thread,

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. I was hoping (and still hope) that some of you would have something already created to contribute, or perhaps be willing to spend some time creating between now and this Oct. when the show happens. I'll write down your suggestions, and keep searching for suitable videos.
  • »30.03.21 - 01:35