OWB vs Wayfarer speed
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    Just messing around because IMO it feels as though network speed is faster. I have no proof though, just seat of the pants feel via NFS transfer.

Anyway, I loaded OWB and then went to speedtest.net. I leave all the settings the website finds but note which server it connects to for the test so I can use the same one on Wayfarer. OWB pegs the CPU when I go to speedtest.net. Nevertheless, I am able to click GO on the webpage and my download speed is:
    download- 6.54Mbps
    upload- fails

Wayfarer:
    Speedtest.net pegs the CPU also, just like in OWB.
    download - 31.83 Mbps
    upload - fails

Not bad at all.
  • »14.10.20 - 03:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    I wonder why upload fails?
    MorphOS is Amiga done right! :-)
    MorphOS NG will be AROS done right! :-)
  • »14.10.20 - 06:30
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I don't think that site gives reliable results anymore, because it has bloated quite much and something hogs all the available CPU power... for updating the meter graphics or something like that? At least I've got way better speeds when downloading files from elsewhere than what that site reports.
  • »14.10.20 - 06:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Yes, Sppedtest.net has at least 3 scripts and 9 trackers/ads running. Without a decent ad blocker or PiHole it is useless. As most of the web these days...
  • »14.10.20 - 08:52
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    You do realize BOTH browsers have the same hindrance, right? LOL. Both have to deal with that. You can see the difference in performance.
  • »16.10.20 - 03:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

TheMagicM wrote:
    You do realize BOTH browsers have the same hindrance, right? LOL. Both have to deal with that. You can see the difference in performance.

Diffierence in performance with what? I would guess that the difference comes how well they can run these heavy scripts in this particular page instead of actual transfer capabilities/speeds generally.
  • »16.10.20 - 07:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    TheMagicM
    yea after testing with a few other websites, its not really a good test. False alarm, false alarm. Time to put the pitchforks down.

LMAO
  • »17.10.20 - 00:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    ThePlayer
    More interesting would be the browsing performance on websites.
    Is Wayfarer faster then OWB displaying modern websites?
    PowerMac G5 Quad 2.5 running UWQHD Resolution
  • »17.10.20 - 09:07
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    The first display them, the other doesn’t... ;-)
  • »17.10.20 - 09:43
  • ASiegel
    @ takemehomegrandma

Quote:

The first display them, the other doesn’t...

Put differently, Odyssey is much faster :-)
  • »17.10.20 - 09:53
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    @ takemehomegrandma

Quote:

The first display them, the other doesn’t...

Put differently, Odyssey is much faster :-)

As for the "quickness without displaying" some IBrowse or AWeb would outperform it though. Even Sputnik would, hands down.
  • »17.10.20 - 10:06
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    @ ThePlayer

From my experience it differs quite depending on the actual site.
    Wayfarer is way faster on https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ in comparison to Odyssey.
    But wetteronline.de/guetersloh (or whatever actual city) is slower and remains in full load permamently. Then again the wetterticker fails completely on Odyssey since a while - Wayfarer can handle it :-). For the rain radar it's the opposite.

--

Issues that I found:
    -The scrollbar of Wayfarer isn't always following the content (try meta.tagesschau.de).
    - Missing option to visit a site regardless of a non trusty certificate.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »17.10.20 - 11:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    - Missing option to visit a site regardless of a non trusty certificate.

Simply click on the trust icon or Show Certificate in the error message.
  • »17.10.20 - 13:52
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cego
    Thanks for this great browser!

I think my Peg2 with 1GHz it is just too slow. Its ok for simple sites, but as soon as Javascript heavy stuff kicks in, its over.
    Facebook is unusable and scrolling in general isnt really smooth.
    But it'll be enough for downloading amiga/morphos stuff and writing on amiga forums :)

I think a PPC JIT for JS would increase performance by a huge margin. Deactivating it really pushed the performance even on my 1GHz G4.
    Pegasos II G4 @1.0GHz, 1GB DDR Ram, Radeon 9200Pro, 240GB SSD+160GB HD, MorphOS 3.18, AmigaOS4.1 FE, Debian 8
  • »17.10.20 - 13:58
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    WayFarer
    I've tested with speedtest.net myself and over AirPort with my tiny whity iBook i've got 11Mbps down speed. Adblock and PiHole enabled.
    Upload failed "upload test error a socket error occured during the upload test. a firewall could be blocking ...".

OWB
    Upload issue is the same.
    But OWB feels more responsive.

Results from
    speed-battle.com/speedtest_e.php
    actually shows OWBs advantage.

[ Edited by amifrog 06.11.2020 - 22:06 ]
  • »06.11.20 - 21:51
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    My thoughts on speed comparison of OWB v Wayfarer has a degree of irrelevance to it, as OWB doesn't have the complexities of the inner workings of Wayfarer. OWB has been "tweaked" over the years to get the best from it, and now its "use-by-date" has almost expired. Whereas Wayfarer is only in its early days of release, "fresh off the shelf", so there's going to be lots more in its development path, and it can access so many more modern websites that OWB is now failing at even rendering the main page of a website that you really can't compare them against each other.

I like the fluid feel of use you get with OWB as it does what it can so very, very well, but I feel we all have to look to the future ... and that's Wayfarer ... bring on v1.6 and beyond ... I'm hungry for more. :-D

We should just be extremely happy that jacadcaps, Piru, jPV, and the others in the Dev. Team are working wonders with this latest browser that is keeping our "head-above-water" in the internet technology era we are in.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.11.20 - 00:58
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    takemehomegrandma
    Quote:

amifrog wrote:
    WayFarer
    I've tested with speedtest.net myself and over AirPort with my tiny whity iBook i've got 11Mbps down speed. Adblock and PiHole enabled.
    Upload failed "upload test error a socket error occured during the upload test. a firewall could be blocking ...".

OWB
    Upload issue is the same.

Results from

How does speed compare in sites like:

Google Maps (with street view)
    Twitter
    Medium
    Google Docs
    Etc

;-)
  • »07.11.20 - 04:43
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > [...] jPV, and the others in the Dev. Team are working wonders with this latest browser

jPV is now a MorphOS development team member?
  • »07.11.20 - 09:05
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Quote:

takemehomegrandma wrote:
    Quote:

amifrog wrote:
    Results from

How does speed compare in sites like:

Google Maps (with street view)
    Twitter
    Medium
    Google Docs
    Etc

I am not the right person as my iBook is lacking power in every way and none of the above is in use here so i might search for others.
  • »07.11.20 - 09:20
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > [...] jPV, and the others in the Dev. Team are working wonders with this latest browser

There you are again, making a spurious concoction of your own - jPV .... comma .... and the others in the Dev. Team ...]

So there was no mention that jPV is in the Dev. Team - just jacadcaps, Piru and jPV are spending their valuable spare time working on Wayfarer along with others, it just so happens that jacadcaps and Piru are in the Dev. Team but jPV has ... and may well still be working with them.

You spend too much of your own valuable spare (wasted) time picking apart others comments unnecessarily and to what end !!
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »07.11.20 - 10:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

There you are again, making a spurious concoction of your own - jPV .... comma .... and the others in the Dev. Team ...]

His selective quoting should have also included the two names right before jPV, to make his point more clear, because the sentence quoted like this;

"jadacaps, Piru, jPV, and the others in the Dev Team" certainly makes it look like jPV is included in the Dev. Team with jadacaps and Piru, which most if not all members know those two are Dev. Team members.

Quote:

So there was no mention that jPV is in the Dev. Team - just jacadcaps, Piru and jPV are spending their valuable spare time working on Wayfarer along with others, it just so happens that jacadcaps and Piru are in the Dev. Team but jPV has ... and may well still be working with them.

Instead of arguing, just admit that you wrote your sentence in a way that makes it look like jPV is included with the other two in the Dev. Team. It's as clear as day.

Quote:

You spend too much of your own valuable spare (wasted) time picking apart others comments unnecessarily and to what end !!

This is/may be true, but he does catch a lot of mis-statements and mistakes that I and other members make, which can and do mislead other readers of the forums. It can be irritating, and that is how I perceived him when I first joined these forums, but now I value his precision, and overlook any irritation his posting style may occasionally trigger in me.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »07.11.20 - 19:26
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > There you are again, making a spurious concoction of your own [...]
    > So there was no mention that jPV is in the Dev. Team

What you wrote made me think you regarded jPV as a MorphOS team member (see also amigadave's reply, who, contrary to me, is a native English speaker like you, and he is right that the quote should better have included the preceding names). Hence my question. Why shouldn't the skilled developer that is jPV possibly have become a member? And why shouldn't it be possible that you (and others) happen to know about such fortunate team growth while I (and others) don't?

> to what end !!

Just to know if the MorphOS team now includes jPV (which he kindly answered), which I think would have been pleasant news not just to me.
  • »07.11.20 - 19:52
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

amifrog wrote:

OWB ends up running a lot less JavaScript on many websites - since many event-driven things will simply never trigger in Odyssey.
  • »07.11.20 - 20:03
    Profile Visit Website
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    I experienced the most slowdowns with these Cookieconsent BS. I vote for a private mode, who's in with me?
    @jacadcaps
    Please keep on going, you are our hero!
  • »07.11.20 - 22:00