Morphobia by Encore - New MorphOS demo from Decrunch 2020
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    Puni
    Hi everyone,

A new MorphOS demo has been released at Decrunch 2020 in Poland. It is called Morphobia and was created by Encore.

Morphobia on YouTube

A very nice demo! Hope you enjoy it too!

[ Edited by Puni 02.08.2020 - 20:44 ]
    Member of Void - An Amiga demo group (website)
  • »02.08.20 - 20:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Thank you. đź‘Ť

Executable version has been already submitted to morphos-storage.net:
    https://www.morphos-storage.net/?id=1565144

On my PowerBook G4 1,67GHz works with 60fps in native resolution (1440x960). The production doesn't require additional libraries, uses only standard MorphOS components (Reggae multimedia framework, TinyGL). So it should work on standard installation of MorphOS.
  • »02.08.20 - 20:53
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Drako^lM
    Nice and funny demo I like very much
    Hardware :
    Power Mac G5 2.3 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18 & OSX 10.5
    Mini G4 1.5 Ghz & MorphOS 3.18
    BlaBla Team Member -> http://blabla.ppa.pl
    AmiParty Team Member -> http://www.chal.pl/
  • »02.08.20 - 20:59
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Drako^lM wrote:
    Nice and funny demo I like very much

Thank you. đź‘Ť
    I hope everything works correct. I have tested only on my machine (PowerBook G4, 1.67GHz).

I am going to also update Morphoza and Morphilia because during creating Morphobia I add to to my mini-engine many important modifications. New version of the mini-engine should be used in previous demos too. Performance should a bit increase. And I would like to keep compatibility these demos with my framework.
  • »03.08.20 - 08:50
    Profile Visit Website
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Awesome!

Morphobia had best music and extremely cool effects like the snowflake (where your nick was mentioned) and the mirror part. The stereoscopic effect of the "scream" was a cleverly executed :)

It's an totally impressive one's man job (apart from the music).

I get 75 fps on fullscreen on a 9800 AGP 2x and G4@1.6ghz PMac with 1280x1024 24bit screenmode. All of your demos run smoothly in my system.

I have two requests though:

1) Can you add a loop option so each of your demos can be played continuously and automatically?
    2) Can you add a playlist mode, so we can select all of your (recent) demos and play them continuously?

Both options would be great for amiga parties when showcasing MorphOS.

Well, at least for me would be extremely useful at least :) Otherwise, I have to revisit my table every couple of minutes to change the demo, which is a deal breaker after an hour or so :P

[ Edited by Cool_amigaN 03.08.2020 - 11:56 ]
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »03.08.20 - 09:56
    Profile Visit Website
    Templario
    Thank you for your new demo for MorphOS.
  • »03.08.20 - 11:00
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Thank you for the opinion and performance report. I have only one MorphOS machine and I don’t know how it works on other configurations.
    I can’t fully guarantee stable max speed if demo works under system and with multitasking (especially on window) because in background works many tasks with various priorities. It is not easy but I implemented some simple mechanism which lets to keep better stability of performance (especially on fullscreen). I won’t describe details because it is not interesting and my English is not the best tool for describing. :)

We could create a script which starts demos in specified order. If you edit saved preference files (standard JSON text format) in ENVARC, you will find option “launcher: true”. If you change value from “true” to “false”, the launcher won’t be started before the demo. Remember to set and save in launcher all settings (fullscreen, resolution, report,…) to proper states because demo will use these values.

The script could contain:
    Code:
    encore_morphoza/morphoza >NIL:
    encore_morphilia/morphilia >NIL:
    encore_morphobia/morphobia >NIL:

Unfortunately there is one problem. End scroller is looped so started demo won’t end and next demo won’t start. :) I had to add an option (hidden, like option “launcher”) which closes demo when end scroll is finished. But this requires modifications in code and release new versions. I could implement this feature.

When would you need these features?
    Unfortunately next 2-3 weeks I will be busy. :(

[ Edited by MDW 03.08.2020 - 12:46 ]
  • »03.08.20 - 11:44
    Profile Visit Website
    Cool_amigaN
    Thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

I don't have any deadline set, I suppose within September could be nice.

I always showcase the demos fullscreen and demos are always stable at full speed.

Indeed I 've guessed that the text part at the end must be looped and that worries me, if my request is doable without much effort or not.

Anyhow, pls keep us posted. I think that would be nice addition, imho.
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »03.08.20 - 14:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Indeed I 've guessed that the text part at the end must be looped and that worries me, if my request is doable without much effort or not.

I will add this option to all of these 3 demos, create a script and try if demos could be started infinity. :)
    Morphoza and Morphilia should be updated to version 1.1 with or without the option. :)

Quote:

Anyhow, pls keep us posted. I think that would be nice addition, imho.

I will write info in this thread if I add the function to all demos.

Greetz!
  • »03.08.20 - 17:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Wow, this new demo is nice! A bit short, but much more consistent and better design than the two previous demos. The previous demos had some nice scenes, but would have needed more time spent on the design side. Definitely getting better now and I really wait for future demos :)

BTW. I couldn't quit the demo by Esc or Enter when I ran it on the fullscreen mode on my Mac mini 1.5GHz, but otherwise it ran just fine. It does quit from the window mode though...
  • »03.08.20 - 17:58
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Wow, I loved the previous 2, but this one is on an even greater level.

Great job, I really enjoy these.
  • »03.08.20 - 19:21
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Thank you for the opinion. I agree - design requires improve but each next production is better. :) So probably next will be better. If I would created next. The trilogy is closed. I am not going to create quadrilogy. :)

Quote:

jPV wrote:
    BTW. I couldn't quit the demo by Esc or Enter when I ran it on the fullscreen mode on my Mac mini 1.5GHz, but otherwise it ran just fine. It does quit from the window mode though...

Really? It is very strange and... almost impossible. :)
    Could you check if you can quit the demo by RAMIGA+Q and if you can change window/screen mode using RAMIGA+F? Will the application pauses endscroller if you press SPACE (or Left Mouse Button)?

Do you use a Commodity for sometnig like switch screens, active windows? If yes, please write me which. I would tried on my system.

I haven't got bug-reports with keyboard problems. would like to fix it because I will use the same base-code for next productions (non-demoscene too) where keyboard handling is very important. :)

[ Edited by MDW 03.08.2020 - 22:11 ]
  • »03.08.20 - 20:32
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Templario wrote:
    Thank you for your new demo for MorphOS.

You're welcome. This still is pleasure for me. :) However now I am going to switch to more... interactive productions.
  • »03.08.20 - 20:38
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

MoerBoer wrote:

Thanks a lot. I did what I could. It looks very simple, but not to me. I spend a lot of time developing this kind of engine/framework and learning drawing, modelling, animation. I implement everything (apart of small JSON parser), don’t use external engines, libraries. It is very huge (for me) project. But I love developing it and creating something what uses these mechanisms. :)
    Greetz!
  • »03.08.20 - 20:42
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > now I am going to switch to more... interactive productions.

A successor to Fortis? :-)
  • »03.08.20 - 22:01
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    A successor to Fortis? :-)

Something more difficult for me and (I hope) more interesting for players. :) About one year ago I have started creating the game but it required more knowledge from me. I have already learned what I needed and implemented the most difficult (for me) elements. This is 1% of game but rest 99% is easier than the 1%. :) So I would like to back to the project and create real game from the concept prototype.
    I can tell that the game is on surface of big sphere (planet) and on orbits of the planet. However this is too early stage. We don’t like plans, we like facts. :) So I will tell more when I create something more.
  • »03.08.20 - 23:44
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

MDW wrote:
    Quote:

MoerBoer wrote:

Thanks a lot. I did what I could. It looks very simple, but not to me. I spend a lot of time developing this kind of engine/framework and learning drawing, modelling, animation. I implement everything (apart of small JSON parser), don’t use external engines, libraries. It is very huge (for me) project. But I love developing it and creating something what uses these mechanisms. :)
    Greetz!

Will your "demo" framework be available sometimes for others to use? Not that I can code in C+, as I'm a Ruby on Rails, JS, VueJS coder.

But I would like to play with it someday.
  • »04.08.20 - 07:24
    eliot
    I like this demo really much.
    But on my Mac Mini with current Mos I also could not quit with esc, cmd+q or mouse.
    I even could not switch back to Ambient screen using cmd+m.
    I watched it in fullscreen mode.
    regards
    eliot
  • »04.08.20 - 11:25
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    I like this demo really much.

Thank you. I am happy. :)

Quote:

But on my Mac Mini with current Mos I also could not quit with esc, cmd+q or mouse.
    I even could not switch back to Ambient screen using cmd+m.
    I watched it in fullscreen mode.

Thank you for the bug report. It is very important for me.
  • »04.08.20 - 15:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Unfortunately I have no Mac Mini. It would be great if a user of MacMini (where the problem occurs) check beta version. I someone could help me, please send me e-mail to address m_d_w(at)a_m_i_g_a(dot)p_l (please remove separators "_"). I will send link to version 1.1 beta.
    Thank you.

[ Edited by MDW 04.08.2020 - 17:28 ]
  • »04.08.20 - 15:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I tried again now, and keys do work if I run the demo on a lower resolution screen. On 800x600 screen I can quit just fine, but when increasing resolution to 1280x1024, it doesn't seem to accept the keys everywhere... for example, if I press the Esc at the beginning, it may quit in the middle of the car scene then. And for 1920x1080 it seems to be impossible to quit at all in practise.

No key combination will work when this happens... I can't swap to Ambient by command-m and I can't even reboot the machine by ctrl-cmd-cmd.

So, it seems that all input events get blocked for some reason when it gets too heavy for the machine?
  • »04.08.20 - 17:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Great test and helpful conclusions (optimistic for me). Thank you very much! :) I have already sent you two versions for test.
  • »04.08.20 - 17:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Very nice! Impressive for a 2 man job, and just one for gfx and animation!
  • »04.08.20 - 19:54
    eliot
    @mdw
    If you need more testers I can do that.
    Just write an email to amiga at exdev de.
    regards
    eliot
  • »05.08.20 - 08:02
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

eliot wrote:
    @mdw
    If you need more testers I can do that.
    Just write an email to amiga at exdev de.

Thank you. However jPV has already checked beta versions. It was my stupid bug. :) Fixed version 1.1 will be released today. I will update all three demos.
    Thank you for bug-report. It was very important for me.
  • »05.08.20 - 08:21
    Profile Visit Website