New Modern Webkit-based Browser In Development
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vulture
    Thx Jacadcaps! That's awesome work!

Two things if I may:
    1. I need to enter http:// for wayfarer to be able to resolve a local ip. Is there a setting I'm missing or is it a glitch (or a feature)?
    2. I can't quite work out how I can have a global setting to popup a requester for media files and have it allowed by default for specific sites. Seems like if I change either one of them (the setting for a site or globally) the other is changed as well. Again, maybe I'm missing something.

Either way, thank you for this fantastic end-of-2020 year gift, let it go away on a high note! :-)
  • »30.12.20 - 19:15
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    https://wayfarer.icu/faq

"Spotify requires DRM EME extensions like Widevine or Fairplay. While not technically impossible, the associated licensing / certification costs are prohibitive."

https://techpp.com/2019/03/25/explained-widevine-drm-certification/

"Widevine is free to use by the content providers and does not require any fee for license generation and device registration. Instead, all that smartphone manufacturers need to do is clear a certification process, which includes different legal agreements, software implementation, and a few other measures."

Is it free or not? Of course "legal agreements" could cost (a lot). What am I missing?
  • »30.12.20 - 19:15
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    There's no fee for issuing licenses or registering devices, that's true. But that's not the same as certifying a DRM client implementation. You won't even get the specification without signing a legal agreement with Google first. And for that you need to create a legal entity - at least I would not want to have a personal liability. Would you?
  • »30.12.20 - 19:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps / Piru / jPV - Have any of you had time for a bit of "snow-time" with your families as yet?

@ jacadcaps - You certainly are a one-man programming machine/cyborg/nice-guy/insomniac. 8-D

The above comment also applies to Piru and jPV and all the others involved - not necessarily all on the MorphOS Dev. Team. 8-D

Thanks sooo much for all your hard work this year for us all to benefit from. I can't wait for 2021 to see it all in video :-o , but I can at least now hear the Christmas bells ringing faintly in the distance. 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »30.12.20 - 23:21
  • IKE
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    IKE
    Very awesome progress and many thanks to jacadcaps and the team!
    IKE

MacMini G4 1.5Ghz/PowerBook G4 1.67Ghz/PowerMac G5 2.0Ghz DP 7,2 Radeon 9650/256MB

Join the conversation @ r/morphos
  • »31.12.20 - 00:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    1.10 takes 8 minutes to start with an installation where I've only extracted the archive over older installations.

Clean install of 1.10 takes only a few seconds to start on my Sam460ex@1.15 GHz.

Which files should I delete in my old installation?
  • »01.01.21 - 23:24
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Cool_amigaN
    Sound playback consumes 15-25% less than (latest) OWB, depending on web site/serice. Never got more than 5% cpu usage, pretty impressive job right there! Exiting takes a little more time than previous versions (roughly about 5 secs). I think it only needs Video playback and the browser is complete from a user's pov.

Tbh this seems as a last call to arms for the PPC systems we are using... I remember fondly the days when I could access services like gmaps, gmail, dailymotion, yt and the likes on the same system I am using, which progressively dissapeared. Now many are enabled again, though processing power and js is killing the experience in some situations. Still, this might be a final push on the internet service life for many PPC..

Anyway, just a heads to anyone interested: apparently you have to import owb bookmarks with wayfarer turned off for them to work :P Perhaps a warning and/or wayfarer task check could be implemented. The Quick Links of owb didn't automatically appear and I had to move them manually from Wayfarer bookmarks manage tab.

On further a side note, is it possible to use the icons from owb also (back/forth/folder on quicklinks group etc)?
    Amiga gaming Tribute: Watch, rate, comment :)
  • »02.01.21 - 11:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

duga wrote:
    1.10 takes 8 minutes to start with an installation where I've only extracted the archive over older installations.

8 minutes would suggest the I/O perf is seriously crippled on your machine. Possibly a really slow and fragmented disk?
  • »02.01.21 - 13:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    @jacadcaps

I have a problem with opengameart.org

It loads and displays OK but after login the page reloads and displays only the blue background. The mouse pointer changes if I move it over the page, as if the links and parts are there, but invisible.

Also, I can not load another page in that tab later. The title and icon in the tab changes for the new loaded page but it is not displayed; just the blue background from opengameart.org. Opening another tab works ok.

Tried with Odyssey 1.26 and works as expected.
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »02.01.21 - 13:54
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Quote:

duga wrote:

8 minutes would suggest the I/O perf is seriously crippled on your machine. Possibly a really slow and fragmented disk?

It's an 5400 RPM SATA drive via a 3512 SATA controller. Not fast, not slow. MorphOS boots fast, a clean installation of Wayfarer 1.10 starts fast.

I lowered the cache from 512 to 64 MB, that didn't help (possibly even slower).
  • »02.01.21 - 14:34
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I can only suggest that you both defragment your disk and disable disk cache entirely.
  • »02.01.21 - 15:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Had the same issue - takes up to 2min and more to start. Installed Wayfarer completly new (deleted od installation and prefs-files in ENV-Archive/MUI), copied only my bookmarks.json back to new installation - and now it works as it should. I'm not sure, but I think it had to do with loading fonts at starting Wayfarer. Till yet this behave does'nt occur again.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »02.01.21 - 18:03
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN schrieb:
    Now many are enabled again, though processing power and js is killing the experience in some situations. Still, this might be a final push on the internet service life for many PPC..

I am always wondering what massive skripts are running on the sites and for which purpose exactly. I am no web developer and guess not all developments are stupid, but somehow I have the feeling the new versions are not always a real improvement (to say the least).

Yesterday I was updateing my Efika with MorphOS 3-15 (the device is most of the time in storage, last update was 3.12). But years ago it was a remoely usable machine even for the net. Yesterday it was just poor. For Wayfarer to start, it was a little to less memory. Odyssey starts up, but loading morph.zone consumes all free memory, AWeb starts fine, but well... Don't get me wrong, I am not compalining - the Efika _is_ way underpowered. But still I am wondering why the net has become that resource hungry on almost every site.

But as we cannot change that, we must be even more thankful to the MorphOS/Wayfarer team who are still giving us the option to use this blown web. Thank you guys (really!).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »02.01.21 - 21:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Yesterday I was updateing my Efika with MorphOS 3-15 (the device is most of the time in storage, last update was 3.12). But years ago it was a remoely usable machine even for the net. Yesterday it was just poor. For Wayfarer to start, it was a little to less memory. Odyssey starts up, but loading morph.zone consumes all free memory, AWeb starts fine, but well...

There's always Sputnik...

/me hides under the chair
  • »02.01.21 - 22:12
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

koszer schrieb:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Yesterday I was updateing my Efika with MorphOS 3-15 (the device is most of the time in storage, last update was 3.12). But years ago it was a remoely usable machine even for the net. Yesterday it was just poor. For Wayfarer to start, it was a little to less memory. Odyssey starts up, but loading morph.zone consumes all free memory, AWeb starts fine, but well...

There's always Sputnik...

/me hides under the chair

Tried Suptnik of course, too. But Sputnik moans about some missing bmp.decoder version I was not able to find and hence failed to start (Classes/Multimedia/ just contains the bmp.demuxer, but not the bmp.decoder). Should look up some old backup (next time I pull the Efika out of storage).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »02.01.21 - 23:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Amigaharry2 wrote:
    Had the same issue - takes up to 2min and more to start.

The slow start issue will be resolved in 1.11. I've rewritten the WebCore code responsible for this. The new code is about 40x faster on my mini. Probably even better if you're not using a SSD.
  • »03.01.21 - 00:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote: [... The new code is about 40x faster on my mini....]

Wow, that should be an awesome improvement!! 8-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.01.21 - 01:48
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

vulture wrote:
    1. I need to enter http:// for wayfarer to be able to resolve a local ip. Is there a setting I'm missing or is it a glitch (or a feature)?

IIRC by default Wayfarer identifies when an address is entered by doing some lookup of TLDs. If the hostname doesn't match this pattern a search engine will be invoked, unless if "Search only strings beginning with engine shortcut key" setting is set in the "Search Engines" settings.

If set Wayfarer will attempt to resolve the given name if it doesn't look like a host name, and invoking the search need to be prefixed with the shortcut key. Example "d intra" to invoke a DuckDuckGo search.
  • »03.01.21 - 02:49
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    vulture
    @Piru

I see, thx for the explanation and the solution!
  • »03.01.21 - 11:10
    Cool_amigaN
    Jaca, is it possible when starting a download to open automatically the download tab? Or at least have it as a possibility on the settings?
  • »03.01.21 - 21:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

Cool_amigaN wrote:
    Jaca, is it possible when starting a download to open automatically the download tab? Or at least have it as a possibility on the settings?

It already IS in the settings. Settings > Downloads > Popup Downloads tab on new downloads.
  • »03.01.21 - 22:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    I can only suggest that you both defragment your disk and disable disk cache entirely.

Seems the problem was related to session restoring, not cache. It's as fast as expected since disabling of loading session on startup.

[ Edited by duga 03.01.2021 - 22:33 ]
  • »03.01.21 - 22:33
    Cool_amigaN
    @Jaca: ehem, feeling stupid I missed it but works great, many thanks!
  • »04.01.21 - 11:39
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Minor warning: there is a bug in the Italian translation causing an invalid memory access when the media load popup opens. To be safe, either disable the popup or don't use the Italian translation for now. This is going to be addressed in 1.11.
  • »04.01.21 - 16:26
    Profile Visit Website
    Jambalah
    HI Jacadcaps, here is the culprit. Would you point me to the error so I could solve, please?
    Thank you and apologize to all italoan users.
    Pegasos II 1 ghz
    Powermac G4 Quicksilver with Sonnet Encore 1.8 ghz
    Powermac G4 MDD single 1.25 ghz, silenced for ears health...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.7 ghz I'll be back...
    Powermac G5 dual 2.0 ghz
    Powerbook G4 1.67 ghz 17
  • »05.01.21 - 15:31