Jalapeno - how to erase CD-RW?
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    Hello

Since there is new version of MorphOS i'm planning to update system. I have CD-RW but it have session already. I tried to erase this CD-RW, but cannot find erase option.

So question is how to erase CD-RW discs?
  • »16.02.20 - 12:17
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Just updated my emergency CD and this is how it went:

- Drop ISO on Jalapeno
    - Start "Burn"
    - Jalapeno scans for media
    - Jalapeno realizes it is already written
    - Jalapeno offers "erase" / "cancel"
    - I hit erase
    - media gets erased
    - Jalapeno goes back to offering "burn"
    - I hit that
    - burning starts
  • »16.02.20 - 13:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    That's weid idea when someone just want to erase CD-RW. It should be available as option somehere.
  • »16.02.20 - 13:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Alternate way: Jalapeno is only a frontend for some UX-Progs located in Mossys:Data/Jalapeno. These progs can also be used seperately from a Shell.
    To blank a CD:
    MosSys:/Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord blank=all Erases all on CD and takes a while. You may use blank=minimal (for only PMA, TOC, pregap)
    cdrecord finds the CD-Drive itself - no device-entry required.
    MosSys:/Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord -help shows you all comands
    MosSys:/Data/Jalapeno/cdrecord blank=help shows you all blanking options

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 17.02.2020 - 12:25 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »16.02.20 - 16:56
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    What do you need a blank CD-RW for, if not writing something on it?
  • »16.02.20 - 21:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    There was erase cdrw tool in cdplayer package from Itix.

http://amigazeux.net/cdplayer/down.php

[ Edited by zukow 16.02.2020 - 22:30 ]
  • »16.02.20 - 21:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    Is there possibility to add Erase option to Jalapeno? It's only program to write CD/DVD which don't have such option that i ever used.
  • »02.01.21 - 15:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    Quote:

Tom01 wrote:
    What do you need a blank CD-RW for, if not writing something on it?

To keep level of this question i'll say just "why not?".

There are some occassions when you need clean CD-RW/DVD-RW, eg. you want borrow clean media to someone (without your random stuff), or just need clean media to record something somewhere.

Show me few programs to write media which don't have erase option? That's weird for me not to have such option.
  • »02.01.21 - 15:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Sorry I haven't used optical media in many years, not even sure my MorphOS computers have working drives anymore (I've removed them from all of my laptops for example).
  • »02.01.21 - 16:55
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    @ Solo_Kazuki - You can use MakeCD 3.2d beta12, from this hosted website which is free to download and install a valid generic registration keyfile (Serial Number: 555555555, License Key: "H8HsRww)7Uz)!iXE5PUMfgP#VymA6", for the program from the webpages and that has DAO capabilities and you can use its Quick Erase functionality for CD-RWs.

There is also Frying Pan v1.3.2 from MorphOS Storage which has just a quick erase function for CD-RWs and DVD-RWs.

Though I have to agree with you, that you'd think that Jalapeno would have been blessed/designed with the ability to just "blank" a CD-RW/DVD-RW without the process only being built-in, but inaccessible, as it's writing data to a disc that has already got unwanted data on it.

I suppose a lot of users prefer to have SSDs or HDDs in their optical drive bay, but I still like to keep a working optical drive, and still basically need to in order to boot the MorphOSBoot CD v3.11 or an earlier release, to be able to get SCANdal functional (scanning software - though it's almost a MorphOS software scandal) due to the outstanding issues still being an issue, and waiting to be fixed. :-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »03.01.21 - 00:41
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > You can use MakeCD 3.2d beta12, from this hosted website [...]
    > and install a valid generic registration keyfile

From the link (emphasis mine):
    "Beta 11 removed any restrictions on ISO image creation for registered users [...]. Later a registration key was made available for free so that everyone had a chance to use MakeCD. Beta 12 removes the registration dialog completely because it serves hardly any useful purpose anymore [...]"
  • »30.11.21 - 20:01