Strange behaviour of a PowerMAC7,2 under MOS3.12
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I've a Powermac7,2, Dual1.8GHz, Firmware 5.15f0, which has following issue running MorphOS_3.12:

After boot.img is booted from boot-partition(HFS), he does'nt see the complete HD anymore (where he booted from!!!)- and booting stops. They partitions even don't occur in early-startup-menue.....
    In the past boot.img_3.12 booted through after several reboots (sometimes even on the first attempt), but then it needs more and more reboots, and now no chance.
    If I use on the same HD (nothing changed) but boot.img from MorphOS3.11, every partition (SYS, WORK,...etc.) can be seen after booting (but no complete booting, because boot.img 3.11 is too old for the 3.12 installation, of course).
    On 5th partition, MacOS X is located, which also boots without any problem.

I've now switched back to MorphOS3.11, but thats not really satisfying, because I have to switch back OWB, VPDF and have no temperature-control......
    Btw.:
    Tested this with a plain installation on a CF-Card (2nd.ide.device) too: the same behaviour. Seems really depending on boot.img. On my other PowerMACs (7,3) are no such issues, but they have a newer firmware (5.18f7, 5.24f1).....!?!

Any ideas?
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »25.12.19 - 19:24
  • Just looking around
    I had the same issue with the very same configuration. I solved pressing C at boot forcing the system to load the right boot.img of 3.12
  • »28.12.19 - 09:26
  • Just looking around
    I had the same issue with the very same configuration. I solved pressing C at boot forcing the system to load the right boot.img of 3.12
  • »28.12.19 - 09:27
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I'm booting from a forth-bootmenue, which makes sure, that the propper boot.img is used. Even if I do a direct boot from Open Firmware (command boot hd:,\boot.img), most tries won't run. In some cases even early-startup-menue can't be reached. But sometimes it boots without any problem into 3.12-System.

I've now switched back from 3.11 to 3.12 and installed MosSYS: new. At moment it boots sometimes from Bootmenue. Booting manually, as I wrote above, boots now in 99% - but also not allways! Anyway, it does much better then before. Something had changed, but what?
    This is a bit strange, because bootmenue and complete MOS-installation is 1:1 ident to my other G5-PowerMACs, where I could never see such a behaviour. Perhaps it's a timing-problem by the quark-kernel in combination with this older Firmware, or something else - I have no idea........- but it seems not to be a hardware-issue, because MacOS X and MOS >3.12 always boots perfect.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »28.12.19 - 17:03
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I've tested now some different boot-devices with MOS 3.12 and 3.11. I used plain installations from ISO. All devices have a small HFS-boot-partition (first on device) and a following, bigger and bootable SFS-partition for systeminstallation.

1. Booting boot.img and system from internal HD on IDE-port : MOS 3.12 is booting kernel, but nothing more - in early boot menue no IDE-devices visible any more.

2. Booting boot.img and system from internal CF-Card on 2nd.ide,device (CD1): MOS 3.12 loads kernel an boots completely to Ambients surface, but also no IDE-device recognized!

3. Booting boot.img and system from USB (ud): MOS 3.12 is loading kernel and boots only into a shell - loadwb fails(!!), but complete directories can be seen in shell. Seems there is also a kernel-problem accessing a USB-partition to boot MorphOS.
    CF-partitions are seen and can be accessed, but no IDE-devices recognized.

Doing 1 - 3 with MOS 3.11 everything works as it should.
    Loading MacOS X all partitions on HD can be seen.

I'm sure now, that this is a major bug in boot.img_3.12 in combination with these older PowerMACs!

If anyone can verify this behavior, please write it here. I will inform MOS-Team about that.
  • »29.12.19 - 19:12