Playing sfx and music in application for MorphOS
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Together with SDL I also removed SDL_Mixer from my code. Now I have to reimplement playing music nad sfx using something else. I don’t want to use external libraries because MorphOS allows to play sound using its internal libraries. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about sound programming. Could something tell me what I should to use?

In directory Examples/Reggae of MorphOS SDK I found simple examples how to play an audio from disk or memory using Reggae. They are quite clear. However I would like to know if these methods are recommended for my requirements.

What I need:
    1. Play from memory several short sounds at the same time.
    2. Play music from disk (e.g. in WAVE format).
    3. Play a sound with specified number of loops.
    4. Play a sound from specified progress.
    5. Check progress of playing music.
    6. Stop specified sound.

Is Reggae good solution for games/demos or I should use e.g. AHI or OpenAL API?

Sorry for very basic question but... audio is not my favourite subject and I don't know anything about audio.

[ Edited by MDW 18.12.2019 - 20:01 ]
  • »18.12.19 - 19:13
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    No need for Reggae: AmiArcadia can do all the things on your list and uses AHI (relevant code is in aa-sound.c), which is a more portable solution.

[ Edited by Minuous 19.12.2019 - 06:06 ]
  • »18.12.19 - 19:56
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    No need for Reggae: AmiArcadia can do all the things on your list and uses AHI, which is a more portable solution.

Reggae looks quite good. :) However I can learn AHI... Should I use high-level or low-level AHI interface?

[ Edited by MDW 18.12.2019 - 20:01 ]
  • »18.12.19 - 20:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    The high-level interface is adequate for most needs; I'd suggest having a quick read of the AHI documentation first which discusses the pros and cons of each before starting coding.

[ Edited by Minuous 19.12.2019 - 06:15 ]
  • »18.12.19 - 21:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    I'd suggest having a quick read of the AHI documentation first which discusses the pros and cons of each before starting coding.

Yes, this is very good idea. 👍 I have started reading the documentation and analysing simple examples.

I can't find whether AHI allows to play a sound with specified number of loops. Does AHI contains this feature or I should implement looping in my code?

If I decided to AHI API, I'd had to implement loading sound files (e.g. WAVE). In case of Reggae I don't have to do it.

[ Edited by MDW 19.12.2019 - 12:00 ]
  • »18.12.19 - 21:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    AmiArcadia can do all the things on your list and uses AHI (relevant code is in aa-sound.c), which is a more portable solution.

What do you think about playing sounds using a sound DataTypes? It allows to loading, playing and it is portable between all Amiga-like systems.

[ Edited by MDW 21.12.2019 - 20:35 ]
  • »21.12.19 - 20:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    zukow
    For me, use reggae to load samples.
  • »21.12.19 - 22:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    If the datatypes system has enough functionality for you then you may as well use that. Although parsing a WAV file is pretty straightforward really.

There are various AHIP_Loop#? tags that can be used to control looping in AHI.
  • »22.12.19 - 00:15
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

zukow wrote:
    For me, use reggae to load samples.

I probably use Reggae for loading and playing sound. This is more elegant than AHI API and implement loading e.g. WAVE file. And I can play music in mpeg audio.

[ Edited by MDW 22.12.2019 - 21:21 ]
  • »22.12.19 - 00:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    If the datatypes system has enough functionality for you then you may as well use that. Although parsing a WAV file is pretty straightforward really.

I have tried to play WAVE, MP3 files using standard datatypes from MorphOS. It works very good. However I can only PLAY and STOP sound(s). After PAUSE a sound, RESUME doens't resumed the sound.

I think I will back to AHI or Reggae. Currently I am not going to create versions for other Amiga-system. Only MorphOS.

Quote:

There are various AHIP_Loop#? tags that can be used to control looping in AHI.

Yes, there are 6 AHIP_Loop... I will check it.
  • »22.12.19 - 00:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Minuous, zukow:

I have one question. I load a 16-bit stereo sample using sound datatype, check type of the sample (function GetDTAttrs with tag SDTA_SampleType). Returned type is 0x00020002, so this is really stereo 16-bit:

soundclass.h
    Code:
    #define SDTST_M8S  0x00010001 /* 8bit mono sample (default) */
    #define SDTST_S8S 0x00020001 /* 8bit stereo sample (samplewise left/right) */
    #define SDTST_M16S 0x00010002 /* same as SDTST_M8S but 16bit */
    #define SDTST_S16S 0x00020002 /* same as SDTST_S8S but 16bit */

However if I play the sound using AHI with parameter:
    Code:
    AHIio->ahir_Type = AHIST_S16S;

tempo of the sound is too fast (probably 4x).
    If I set parameter:
    Code:
    AHIio->ahir_Type = AHIST_M8S;

tempo of ths sound is correct.

What does it mean? Sound loaded using DataTypes always is converted to 8-bit?

If this is true, sound datatypes are absolutely useless. :) Now I understand why Reggae was created. :)
  • »22.12.19 - 15:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Minuous
    IIRC datatypes are always converted internally to an IFF representation. For sound files this would be 8SVX, even though there do exist IFF formats for storing 16-bit sound (eg. 16SV, AIFF).
  • »22.12.19 - 15:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

Minuous wrote:
    IIRC datatypes are always converted internally to an IFF representation. For sound files this would be 8SVX, even though there do exist IFF formats for storing 16-bit sound (eg. 16SV, AIFF).

Thank you for the clarification. :) So I won't use DataTypes. In case of sound this is useless on NextGen Amiga-like systems.
  • »22.12.19 - 15:30
    Profile Visit Website