Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    OSX 10.5:
    iMac-MEM.jpg

DebianSid:
    iMac-MEM-lnx.jpg

That is very cool! Time to go Ram hunting for my iMac too!

p.s. Does MorphOS pick up all 4.5gb too?
  • »30.06.20 - 07:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Did anybody test it in real?
    Are there any advantages over 10.5? Drivers for better GPU, boot from raid, etc... ?
    And what about new applications for 10.6 ? Aren't they distributed as intel-exe only and not universal binary?
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »30.06.20 - 07:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Does MorphOS pick up all 4.5gb too?

The iMac doesn't magically change the 31-bit addressing of MorphOS, which means 2 GiB RAM maximum. Minus address space for I/O etc. that's about 1.7 GiB usable RAM remaining. This is valid in general for current MorphOS, no matter the hardware platform.
  • »30.06.20 - 07:48
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> OSX 10.6 now works on PPC

> Did anybody test it in real? Are there any advantages over 10.5? Drivers
    > for better GPU, boot from raid, etc... ? And what about new applications
    > for 10.6 ? Aren't they distributed as intel-exe only and not universal binary?

I recommend skimming over the linked thread. It's all discussed in there :-)
  • »30.06.20 - 07:53
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:
    > Does MorphOS pick up all 4.5gb too?

The iMac doesn't magically change the 31-bit addressing of MorphOS, which means 2 GiB RAM maximum. Minus address space for I/O etc. that's about 1.7 GiB usable RAM remaining. This is valid in general for current MorphOS, no matter the hardware platform.

Makes sense, didn't even think of that. Saves me some money then :)
  • »30.06.20 - 08:01
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Norbi
    Thanks for the screenshots.
    Now everything is clear.
    My memory (not samsung) behaves the same as yours.
    I was surprised by the large use of virtual memory at 4GB. Apparently that's how OSX does.
  • »30.06.20 - 09:39
  • Just looking around
    Hello! I'm wondering if the fans issue is still here after the new updates. I've wanted to buy an imac since 3.12, but the temperature/fans problem is holding me back :)

Thank you.
  • »12.10.20 - 00:05
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    Quote:

CMTX wrote:
    Hello! I'm wondering if the fans issue is still here after the new updates. I've wanted to buy an imac since 3.12, but the temperature/fans problem is holding me back :)

Thank you.

On my iMac G5 20" iSight running MorphOS 3.14, I solved the overheating problem using Frank Mariak iMacFanCtrl 0.3 tool (version 0.2 works with MorphOS 3.13 but not with the latest MorphOS update).
    This tool allows to manually control fan /temperature avoiding issues and hardware failures with too high
    temperatures when the system reaches too high CPU load.

As for the fan issue, I think in this thread it was well explained by sailor (post # 14) how to fix it ...

It is actually a bit uncomfortable to have to increase the revs of the three fans after each boot.
    Surely, it would be more convenient to be able to automate this process during boot and live peacefully without the fear of forgetting to adjust the fans with the risk of frying GPU or other hardware, but unfortunately I don't know how to do it.
  • »12.10.20 - 07:43
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Strange, I've never had issues with mine.

The fans ramp up when needed and the temperature is properly controlled without any extra programs.
  • »12.10.20 - 09:21
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    Quote:

MoerBoer wrote:
    Strange, I've never had issues with mine.

The fans ramp up when needed and the temperature is properly controlled without any extra programs.

In my case, without manually adjusting fan speed via the iMacFanCtrl tool, after about half an hour of normal use (without major commitments for the CPU) the temperature systematically rises from 45°C (just after boot) to 78-85°C and the Northbrige controller also reaches beyond 90°C. In this situation, I do not hear the fans start automatically and I suppose that in such temperature conditions hardware damages would be almost inevitable.

In your case, at what temperatures do the fans automatically increase?

Probably Frank could clarify our doubts about the automatic adjustment of the fan speed to the temperature increase.
  • »12.10.20 - 14:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    My fans ramp up drastically at about 85c cpu ( northbridge sits at about 72c at that stage )

It sounds like a jet for a second or two then drops the cpu temps quickly to about 75c and it gradually goes down then.

Normal usage for me it sits at about 65c - 70c for the CPU and 70c for the northbridge
  • »12.10.20 - 16:01
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    BatteMan
    If you want to do it automagically at every boot, you can add this in your user-startup :
    Code:
    	C:talk2smu_setfan 0 2500 >NIL:
    C:talk2smu_setfan 1 2500 >NIL:
    C:talk2smu_setfan 2 2500 >NIL:

You can modify 2500 by a number between 0 to 5000 (but 0 is maybe not a good idea ^^).

--
    /me doesn't put those lines in his startup but it's a good idea ^^
    Proud user of MorphOS since 2003 !
  • »12.10.20 - 19:41
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    Quote:

BatteMan wrote:
    If you want to do it automagically at every boot, you can add this in your user-startup :
    Code:

You can modify 2500 by a number between 0 to 5000 (but 0 is maybe not a good idea ^^).

--

Where did u find that talk2smu_setfan command ?
  • »12.10.20 - 21:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

AKiLL schrieb:
    Quote:

BatteMan wrote:
    Code:

--

This is no official tool, actually. I will probably release another update to the fancontrol UI tool that allows to define some minimum rpm values on startup.
  • »12.10.20 - 22:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Thank you for your answers. Looks like it's safe to get one now :)
  • »14.10.20 - 14:36
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    sabbate
    i bought today an isight for 100 euro from a german dealer, in the past i used morphos but my machines had broken they were all g5

Hello:)
  • »19.10.20 - 18:44
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Welcome! Maybe you are also lucky with your temps, like I've been. Mine rarely gets hot unless I run Encore demos non stop, but the fans does their thing

qdqc2w2
  • »19.10.20 - 19:01
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    sabbate
    yes fortunately i read how to fix the fans :), however wayfarer is one of the reasons why i got imac and i think i will support jadacaps
  • »19.10.20 - 19:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Mine is running fine without any fan issues or programs, hence hoping you might be also be lucky.
  • »20.10.20 - 06:02
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    sabbate
    yes it is a refurbished imac, i have seen photos of its interior too, it should work without problems
  • »20.10.20 - 10:42
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

cyfm schrieb:
    Quote:

AKiLL schrieb:
    Quote:

BatteMan wrote:
    Code:

--

This is no official tool, actually. I will probably release another update to the fancontrol UI tool that allows to define some minimum rpm values on startup.

There is a new version 0.4 of iMacFanCtrl available at morphos-storage.net which allows to adjust minimum rpm values and which can also be configured to skip the UI in order to avoid any additional user interaction on startup launch.
  • »01.01.21 - 16:16
    Profile Visit Website
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    AKiLL
    Quote:

cyfm wrote:
    Quote:

cyfm schrieb:
    Quote:

AKiLL schrieb:
    Quote:

BatteMan wrote:
    Code:

--

There is a new version 0.4 of iMacFanCtrl available at morphos-storage.net which allows to adjust minimum rpm values and which can also be configured to skip the UI in order to avoid any additional user interaction on startup launch.

Just downloaded and installed. Thanks for the update.
  • »01.01.21 - 18:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Frank, what's still stopping you from adding the iMac G5 to the official supported hardeware list? To my recognition none of the iMac users reported real issues. Except the fan thing which seems to affect only some users and can get fixed by the fan control program .
    I am pretty satisfied with my iMac G5. 3.15 runs fine on it.

[ Editiert durch Zylesea 02.01.2021 - 01:12 ]
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »02.01.21 - 00:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Cocoon
    Cocoon
    Fogg_80
    You are right. My iMac have had fan problem, but with 3.14 all ok, I hope even with 3.15.
    Stile Ubuntu
    Sorry for my bad english.
  • »02.01.21 - 08:57
  • MorphOS Developer
    cyfm
    Quote:

Zylesea schrieb:
    Frank, what's still stopping you from adding the iMac G5 to the official supported hardeware list? To my recognition none of the iMac users reported real issues. Except the fan thing which seems to affect only some users and can get fixed by the fan control program .
    I am pretty satisfied with my iMac G5. 3.15 runs fine on it.

Well, maybe for MorphOS 3.16. We typically don't add additional hardware support for bug-fix updates. The main reason iMac G5 isight isn't officially supported is that there are plenty of other iMac G5 variants that don't work at all to run MorphOS, so you basically are on your own to look one up that works.

Speaking of smooth experience, starting with MorphOS 3.15, the released installation hdimg - dubbed #?hybrid.hdimg for this reason - can be booted via USB stick on various supported Apple hardware if you dump the raw image to some USB stick directly and modify the boot device in OF via

Code:
    setenv boot-device ud:,\\:tbxi

If it can't find a related USB device, it should fall back to HD/CD boot automatically. It will take a while until it times out on iMac for example but rather useful if you quickly need to boot from a MorphOS live image and don't have a CD at hand or your CD drive is already starting to act up.
    We will provide some more detailed information about this new installation feature at some later point.
    If you are already using a more complex boot menu or modified the boot process otherwise, this is probably less appealing.
    Unfortunately, the USB stick won't show up in the graphics boot menu which would make it even simpler but it seems Apple decided not to support that early boot feature back then.
  • »02.01.21 - 13:41
    Profile Visit Website