Booting MorphOS 3.12 on Pegasos 1
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _coliN_
    Hello!

I want to boot the new MorphOS 3.12 - CD on my Pegasos 1 via a burned CD-RW.
    Usually I do it with the following command:
    boot /ide/cd@1,1 bootpeg1.img

Then I can update the system with the Installer script.

With 3.12 it doesnt boot, and stops after loading the boot image. Then the cd-rom ends running and nothing happens.
    Tried it with different devices. The same reaction, when I copy the boot iamge to the boot disk, and change the boot command....

The boot image of 3.11 has a size about 2.3 MB. The boot image of 3.12 has only 1.5 MB.
    Is it the wrong image on the CD???
    Can someone help me?

Thanks!
  • »10.10.19 - 16:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    amigadave
    Quote:

_coliN_ wrote:
    Hello!

I want to boot the new MorphOS 3.12 - CD on my Pegasos 1 via a burned CD-RW.
    Usually I do it with the following command:
    boot /ide/cd@1,1 bootpeg1.img

Then I can update the system with the Installer script.

With 3.12 it doesnt boot, and stops after loading the boot image. Then the cd-rom ends running and nothing happens.
    Tried it with different devices. The same reaction, when I copy the boot iamge to the boot disk, and change the boot command....

The boot image of 3.11 has a size about 2.3 MB. The boot image of 3.12 has only 1.5 MB.
    Can someone help me?

Thanks!

Could it be because you're using a CDRW, instead of a CDROM? I know that I created plenty of CD drink coasters because I burned them the wrong way in the past, but you're probably smarter than I was, and wouldn't make that mistake.

I don't know the exact size of the "boot.img" file, but I would think that checking the size of the whole MorphOS.iso image file would be more important. The check sum for the morphos.iso image is listed on the download page IIRC.
    MorphOS - The best Next Gen Amiga choice.
  • »10.10.19 - 16:50
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I haven't been able to boot my Peg1 with 3.12 either, so there is probably some bug in the bootpeg1.img. I know that some other(s) have succeeded, but I certainly haven't. I have tried in several ways, from CD and by copying image to HD etc. I guess we'll have to wait for 3.13, but confirms from other people would be welcome too.
  • »10.10.19 - 17:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> The boot image of 3.11 has a size about 2.3 MB. The boot image
    >> of 3.12 has only 1.5 MB. Is it the wrong image on the CD???

> I would think that checking the size of the whole MorphOS.iso
    > image file would be more important. The check sum for the
    > morphos.iso image is listed on the download page IIRC.

_coliN_ fears that the MorphOS team put a wrong or defect boot.img for the Pegasos 1 on the MorphOS 3.12 ISO image. This is something entirely different than just a borked download, and the ISO image wouldn't show a different MD5 check sum in this case.
  • »10.10.19 - 17:10
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    _coliN_
    Quote:

Andreas_Wolf wrote:

> I would think that checking the size of the whole MorphOS.iso
    > image file would be more important. The check sum for the
    > morphos.iso image is listed on the download page IIRC.

_coliN_ fears that the MorphOS team put a wrong or defect boot.img for the Pegasos 1 on the MorphOS 3.12 ISO image. This is something entirely different than just a borked download, and the ISO image wouldn't show a different MD5 check sum in this case.

I dont suspect a wrong or defect image. Perhaps its a wrong naming and a confusion with the images?

I will try the Cd-R method, and then ask the developer team directly in the next days....
  • »11.10.19 - 08:00
  • MorphOS Developer
    bigfoot
    Quote:

_coliN_ wrote:

Can someone help me?

The reason the Pegasos 1, Pegasos 2 and Efika boot images are smaller in MorphOS 3.12 is that they're using a more efficient compression method than previously. It's the right boot image :)

There have indeed been some reports of failure to boot on Pegasos 1, but we haven't pinpointed the problem yet. As we have limited access to Pegasos 1 machines on the MorphOS team these days, we'll have to rely on user reports to try to figure out what's causing the boot failure.

What this means is that the more information you can supply about your system, the easier it will be for us to figure out what the cause is. What motherboard revision (original/April/April 2), what firmware version, how much memory have you got installed, which add-on boards have you got installed, what happens when you try to boot, when does it fail/stop and anything else you can think of would be helpful for us to know. If you have the required hardware/setup to capture serial logs, then that would be really helpful too.
    I rarely log in to MorphZone which means that I often miss private messages sent on here. If you wish to contact me, please email me at [username]@asgaard.morphos-team.net, where [username] is my username here on MorphZone.
  • »11.10.19 - 08:02
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >>>> Is it the wrong image on the CD???

>>> [...]

>> _coliN_ fears that the MorphOS team put a wrong or defect
    >> boot.img for the Pegasos 1 on the MorphOS 3.12 ISO image.

> I dont suspect a wrong or defect image.

At least "wrong image" was your own wording.

> Perhaps its a wrong naming and a confusion with the images?

Yes, that possibility I took to be included in the meaning of your "wrong image" wording. Besides the Pegasos 1, there would have to be at least one other MorphOS platform to fail booting 3.12 then, however.
  • »11.10.19 - 10:25