AmigaOne X5000 and MorpĥOS 3.12
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Brumiga
    Hello,

I would want to buy an AmigaOne X5000 and use it for morphos only. Last year, at the little french gathering 'ùalchimie' I already wanted to buy one from amedia computer or relec. Alas it was not possible for morphos, only for amigaos 4.x. Amedia computer said and still says that they want to sell with new components, on wich a warranty is possible. No third party hardware, video card, sound card, sata controler card or network card. At the ùalchimie I met a guy that bought one to relec. On warmup he spoke about the problems he encoutered. Problems with usb sticks not mounted, the dvd burner plugged to the internal sata connector is not reconized, the sound card and its ouputs.

Now that morphos 3.12 has been released how is the AmigaOne X5000 supported ? I would also want to know if it will be possible to transfer the licence from my dead pegasos 2 g4.

Thanks for the future clarifications.

Brumiga
  • »06.10.19 - 14:56
  • ASiegel
    @ Brumiga

Hi, just a quick note regarding the following:

Quote:

Amedia computer said and still says that they want to sell with new components, on wich a warranty is possible.

MorphOS supports numerous graphics cards that you can still buy brand new from resellers with full warranty to this day.

I am puzzled why Amedia would have claimed otherwise a year ago. Perhaps they got confused because MorphOS supports such a wide array of graphics cards.
  • »06.10.19 - 15:34
  • Caterpillar
    Caterpillar
    outrun1978
    Quote:

Brumiga wrote:
    Hello,

I would want to buy an AmigaOne X5000 and use it for morphos only. Last year, at the little french gathering 'ùalchimie' I already wanted to buy one from amedia computer or relec. Alas it was not possible for morphos, only for amigaos 4.x. Amedia computer said and still says that they want to sell with new components, on wich a warranty is possible. No third party hardware, video card, sound card, sata controler card or network card. At the ùalchimie I met a guy that bought one to relec. On warmup he spoke about the problems he encoutered. Problems with usb sticks not mounted, the dvd burner plugged to the internal sata connector is not reconized, the sound card and its ouputs.

Now that morphos 3.12 has been released how is the AmigaOne X5000 supported ? I would also want to know if it will be possible to transfer the licence from my dead pegasos 2 g4.

Thanks for the future clarifications.

Brumiga

To use MorphOS to its fullest potential and have 3D gaming on the X5000 it will mean using a 2nd hand Radeon X1650 which is about 14 years old and you will probably be stuck with VGA output. Just make sure it is a PCI Express version and you will be fine. . A 2nd hand series 4000 card won’t give you 3D gaming but I think is preferable over a series 5000-6000 card because of hardware overlay. I have tested a few cards and found the HDMI output can be a little suspect. Never really encountered any issues with USB, DVD drive or sound cards. The only odd issue I’ve found is with the Internet using a 8168 network card where you have to reset the machine sometimes to connect to the internet.
  • »06.10.19 - 16:45
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > Alas it was not possible for morphos, only for amigaos 4.x.

You mean paying for an OS4 license is mandatory when buying an X5000? If so, Amedia or Relec could make the same offer as ACube.

> Now that morphos 3.12 has been released how is the AmigaOne X5000 supported ?

At least the 3.12 release notes do not mention any X5000-specific improvements over 3.11.

> I would also want to know if it will be possible to transfer the licence
    > from my dead pegasos 2 g4.

This should be possible. A proof of the Pegasos being dead might be requested by the MorphOS team.
  • »06.10.19 - 21:27