ATI Rage
  • Just looking around
    Brunty
    I apologise in advance as I know the subject of graphics cards on here is often discussed! However, I've been unable to find any info on my current problem and I've been at this for many hours now.

So, my system has been running very happily with my old Voodoo3 3000 pci but I want to return that card to it's old machine now. I first tried installing a Saphire X1950 Pro, but the machine fails to boot. I got myself an ATI Rage 128 Pro 32Mb.

I installed this card as well as the Voodoo and it booted up as normal using the Voodoo, but I experience freezes so regularly that the system is unuseable (I can bearly open a shell and type pciscan). The only time I managed this I saw that the system has correctly seen the Rage card.

I go to screens to change Ambient - only the Voodoo is available.

If I remove the Voodoo I can hear the machine boot up as normal, but I get no screen output at all. If I try to boot from the install CD I can hear it spin up as normal, but no screen output.

I've looked at removing prefs pointing to the Voodoo, but nothing has worked so far.
    Any help?
  • »28.09.19 - 16:32
    Kronos
    Is the Rage a Mac(PPC) card? AFAIK the MorphOS driver expects these to be initialized by the OF (unlike the Voodoo).
    Same should go for the 1950Pro.

Even if the Rage is PPC, there is still the question wether a card intended for early PowerMacG4 will even work a G5.
  • »28.09.19 - 17:01
  • Just looking around
    Brunty
    I believe that it's a PC card, but the machine recognises it...

I'm not sure why the machine won't even boot with the X1950pro fitted, which the link above suggests should work out of the box. Or am I still being confused with the slot type and the fact I've been looking for these "Pro" cards which flags up a lot of results, but hardly any with agp pro slots?
  • »28.09.19 - 18:10