Audiophile MorphOS
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Hi Morpherz,

Since MorphOS 3.10 supports USB audio it dragged me back to this system that i haven't used for years. So i purchased a Powerbook G4, requested for my old licence to be assigned to the new machine (thanks to Ralph from the MorphOS team who helped me a great deal with it) and jumped back into the blue butterfly world.

Enough about the introduction, here's my goal : i'd like to turn my MorphOS laptop into an audiophile setup, mainly to be able to listen to some hires music (flac, not dreaming yet about playing DSD in MOS). I tried a few USB Dacs and most of them were unsupported (USB Audio v2.0) but my good old Astell&Kern AK320 digital audio player seems to be supported. It shows up in Poseidon with the usbaudio class assigned to it. It shows up in the AHI config with 2 devices, 16 and 24bit units.
    Unfortunately, none of the audio players i've tried (Aminet Radio, SongPlayer, Mplayer) won't output anything when i select the AK320 as the current AHI unit.(even mp3, flac files etc) That's where i need some help. Maybe i'm not setting it up right, maybe these softwares simply don't support it but i've read here some feedback about users being able to output sound on an USB dac.

Any idea that would help me with it ? is there any software that would allow me to play hires (24 bit 96/192khz flac files) ?

thanks ! and glad to be back.
  • »14.09.19 - 12:15
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    If it does not work out of the box then you are pretty much out of luck. You can try to go to the Poseidon preferences, unbind and force binding to USBaudio. Here it helps with a very cheap pcm2704 equipped device, though it needs to be done every reboot so it's impractical. My fx-audio dac X3 just works, though it's only 16bit via USB.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »14.09.19 - 17:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    Thanks for the feedback Korni, i was thinking the same, i'm just unlucky that none of my Dacs work (i have 4/5 of them from Daps to desktop Dacs).
    Thinking about the Fiio k3 Dac/Amp, there's a USB audio 1.0/2/0 switch on it, it may work :-)

What music player do you use ? (software)

[ Edited by SoundSquare 14.09.2019 - 20:07 ]
  • »14.09.19 - 19:06
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    First of all define not only UNIT in System/Soundprefs for AHI - do it also for UNIT 0 ! (Some progs needs it exact)
    If you click on any mp3 in Ambient, it should directly be played on your device (without any 3rd-party SW). If ist does, USB-driver, AHI-Prefs and AK320 works well and the problem has to be searched at players.
    If not: Choose different units and sound-resolutions. Play a bit with prefs on right side in prefs-window.
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »14.09.19 - 19:16
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    flac - mplayer (latest 1.0 by fab, not 1.1)
    mod - uade, eagleplayer
    mp3 stream - cgmradio

Also, by "out of the box" I meant setting up both MorphOS AHI Preferences and Audio player (if it has its own settings).
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »14.09.19 - 19:47
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    thanks to both of you, i did try every combo possible in AHI settings but still no luck, i need to find a compatible dac now !
  • »15.09.19 - 20:36
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Unfortunately AHI caps the audio frequency at 72kHz. Don't think you could do 24 bits either. I think this is mostly due to the fact that AHI's internal resampling routines are total crap.
  • »15.09.19 - 20:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    ok, one more thing to cross off my MorphOS usage wish list.

Thanks for this information Jacadcaps, you saved me from investing more into the Dac thing.
  • »16.09.19 - 10:24
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    We are thinking about addressing this, but unfortunately it means replacing AHI with something else.
  • »16.09.19 - 13:14
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    SoundSquare
    if you ever come into this, don't hesitate to contact me for beta testing as i have quite a lot of audio devices that can be tested (portable dacs, desktop dacs, daps etc).
  • »16.09.19 - 15:47