Radeon 9600 to 9800 upgrade problem
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    Hello

I just change my Radeon 9600 with 64MB to Radeon 9800 with 128MB. Everything working fine except 15/16bit screen modes. Everything on these screens are with messed colors. I suppose old graphic settings of these screen modes from R9600 doesn't fit for R9800. How i can "refresh" screen modes to auto config them (like during installation)? Is there command or tool to do this?
  • »25.05.19 - 18:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Screenmodes are set according to EDID coming from the monitor. Customized settings are saved in SYS:Prefs/Presets/Monitors/yourmonitorname. You can copy and use this file on different systems and gfx cards as long as the gfx card is capable of specified resolution/refresh rate etc.

Screens (screen name combines name of the gfx and the screenmode) are "just" settings. It should be enough to go to the program settings and set it to use a specific, new screen).

Go to MorphOS Preferences -> Monitor. Add a new screenmode there and check if the image is correct in test mode.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »25.05.19 - 21:40
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    Image is always correct in settings, but after using in app there is mess in colors.

And moreover it looks like 8bit modes are also wrong displayed and there is mess in colors.

Edit: Deleting monitor doesn't help. It's weird but in settings colors are ok for screen but buttons are green not grey like in 24bit modes.

Moreover, when i use 16bit mode for Ambient there is mess with background picture and windows belts but icons were ok. But, when i was trying to do snapshot then background picture and windows were ok but icons had wrong colors.

It looks in 8 and 16 bit modes like R, G and B components are shuffled.

[ Edited by Solo_Kazuki 26.05.2019 - 00:09 ]
  • »25.05.19 - 22:45
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Odd, it should just work.
    I've moved between these cards with no problem what so ever.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »25.05.19 - 23:22
    Kronos
    Wild guess:

The 9800 is a PC card flashed to work in a PowerMac?
  • »26.05.19 - 06:47
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Solo_Kazuki
    Yes, it's flashed card.
  • »26.05.19 - 11:04
    Profile Visit Website
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Quote:

Solo_Kazuki wrote:
    Yes, it's flashed card.

Yeah...I used to do those (flashed cards).
    In fact, the only flashed card listed as supported on the MorphOS site is the FireGL X3 (and that reflects the fact that I sent one to Frank Mariak for R400 driver development).

The only Radeon 9800 I've retained has a full 128K Rom.
    Most flashed 9800s rely on a reduced 64K ROM, and can have issues with MorphOS.

I no longer recommend re-flashed PC cards with reduced Mac ROMs.

And, in fact, from the R500 on, we no longer rely on Apple or PC firmware (outside of Atom bios).

If you want to upgrade, obtain a real Apple Radeon 9800 or an Apple X800XT.
    Alternately, you can install a PC Radeon X1950Pro AGP card, but it will not show firmware prompts and the screen will remain blank until MorphOS boots.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »26.05.19 - 14:00
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    I agree with Jim here, using flashed cards (minus mentioned FireGL X3) is more headache than it is worth. While I personally had pretty good luck in general usage, they would benchmark just awful compared to a genuine Mac part.
  • »27.05.19 - 03:10