Just bought a Mac mini G4
  • Just looking around
    Hi there,

Huge Amiga nerd from since back in the day. My biggest treasure is my A500+ with Vampire. I’m currently running Amikit XE with a few modifications on it. I’m mainly all about the classics, but MorphOS just looks too good to ignore.

I have a storage question. The mini has a 44 pin ide just like my 500 and 1200. I could just pop a cf card adapter with cf card in or I’ve been thinking about getting an mSATA with 2.5” adapter case with 44 pin ide. I’m not sure if there will be a noticeable performance difference. What should I do here?

I haven’t been following MorphOS software as much. Just a few minutes ago I found a thread in here that got me to scummvm 2.0, that’s awesome. Dopus4 is a must have for me, but beyond that what else should I try out? What’s the browser of choice? OWB?

Anyways, any reconditions would be great. Game ports, demos, any must have tool.

Thanks!
  • »15.05.19 - 04:54
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    I've used those adapters in G4 PowerMacs. They would probably work in a Mac Mini.
    Although I've only tested them with SATA2 drives, not SATA3 drives.

You can get some killer performance numbers with OWC SATA2 SSDs.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »15.05.19 - 05:45
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Hi and welcome!

I'd recommend to read more about MorphOS and its software from MorphOS Library. You can see that it comes already with an extensive software collection bundled in, including the OWB browser. The Getting Started article should also have few important tips to notice. And if you still have the OSX installation there, but don't like the loud boot chime, please do disable it by muting the audio from OSX side before installing MorphOS :)

MorphOS Storage is a good place to look for games and other software. You could also want to try demos from the MorphOS Demopack.
  • »15.05.19 - 06:17
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    @Jim
    No chance to get a SATA SSD with adaptor into a Mini.

mSATA should work and will bring quiete a boost just by nixing seek times.
  • »15.05.19 - 12:07
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Korni
    Code:
    Dopus4 is a must have for me, but beyond that what else should I try out? 

Ambient is really capable these days. I used DOpus4 before Ambient got filetype actions support. DOpus4 (4.16) seems to work fine. Maybe someone here still uses it as a main filemanager, so can tell more.
    http://korni.ppa.pl/modkowypaczek/ | My Rifle, My Bunny, and Me
  • »15.05.19 - 12:25
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Completely agree, I was using DirOpus 4 for very long time. But today is for me much easier use Ambient in MorphOS, and DirOpus I use in AmigaOS only.

[ Edited by sailor 15.05.2019 - 15:21 ]
    AmigaOS3: Amiga 1200
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »15.05.19 - 12:46
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    @Jim
    No chance to get a SATA SSD with adaptor into a Mini.

mSATA should work and will bring quiete a boost just by nixing seek times.

Some blogger did this by removing the casing around the SSD. But I agree, normally there isn't enough space for the adapter and the SSD
  • »15.05.19 - 15:15
  • Just looking around
    Thanks for all the hints!

There is a lot to discover. Still waiting for the mini to be delivered. FedEx says 05/20.

In the meantime I will fill my file server with some stuff I want to try out. Btw, SMBFS working well in MorphOS?

Thanks!
  • »15.05.19 - 15:21
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

Madlax72 wrote:
    Btw, SMBFS working well in MorphOS?

yes, it works very nice.
    see also other Network drivers
    Also NetFS is easy and works fine (between MOS-AOS only)
    NFS works, but is very slow (for my surprise I try also NFS between PPC and ARM linux, and it is slower than samba)
    AmigaOS4: Micro A1-C, AmigaOne XE, Pegasos II, Sam440ep, Sam440ep-flex, AmigaOneX1000
    MorphOS: Efika 5200b, Pegasos I, Pegasos II, Powerbook G4, Mac Mini, iMac G5, Powermac G5 Quad
  • »15.05.19 - 15:54
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > MorphOS developers [...] aren't stuck with other public versions.

Stuck? The OS3 and OS4 versions are in active development.
  • »15.05.19 - 21:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    ....and is also running well under MorphOS (68K-Version).
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »15.05.19 - 21:33
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Madlax72 schrieb:

I have a storage question. The mini has a 44 pin ide just like my 500 and 1200. I could just pop a cf card adapter with cf card in or I’ve been thinking about getting an mSATA with 2.5” adapter case with 44 pin ide. I’m not sure if there will be a noticeable performance difference. What should I do here?

As already suggested, get an mSATA to IDE adapter. I have good experinece with Kingston mSATA drives on these adapters (mini and Powerbook). It gives quite a boost.
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »15.05.19 - 22:36
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Which version of Mac mini G4 did you buy? The "silent upgrade" 64 MB VRAM version, or an ordinary 32 MB one?
  • »15.05.19 - 23:10
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Which version of Mac mini G4 did you buy? The "silent upgrade" 64 MB VRAM version, or an ordinary 32 MB one?

That is a good question. It’s an A1103 with 1.5GHz G4. I just reread the listing on eBay it doesn’t have any more information regarding the exact version. I guess I will find out on Monday
  • »16.05.19 - 03:30
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    Completely agree, I was using DirOpus 4 for very long time. But today is for me much easier use Ambient in MorphOS, and DirOpus I use in AmigaOS only.

I will give ambient a fair shot. I’m running DOpus5 as WB replacement and I’m still using dopus4 a lot. Total Commander is my most used tool in windows.
  • »16.05.19 - 03:32
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

sailor wrote:
    Quote:

Madlax72 wrote:
    Btw, SMBFS working well in MorphOS?

yes, it works very nice.
    see also other Network drivers
    Also NetFS is easy and works fine (between MOS-AOS only)
    NFS works, but is very slow (for my surprise I try also NFS between PPC and ARM linux, and it is slower than samba)

I never heard of NetFS before. Will have to check it out. I’m running a small file sever on an odroid with a 4tb usb drive. I’m mirroring a lot of Amiga stuff. I’m used to have it mounted in os3. Good to know I can do the same in MOS.

Normally avoid NFS like the plague :-)
  • »16.05.19 - 03:36
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Quote:

Madlax72 wrote:

In the meantime I will fill my file server with some stuff I want to try out. Btw, SMBFS working well in MorphOS?

Yes, SMBFS works pretty fine and it's included in MorphOS... MorphOS developers update and make own optimizations to it and aren't stuck with other public versions. I'm using it regularly with Win10 and Debian based servers.

Sailor's link was a bit broken, so here's what he wanted to link:
    Mounting Network Drives

You might want to check this page too:
    Filesystems

Looks very much like smbfs in os3. Thanks for the links!
  • »16.05.19 - 03:37
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

Madlax72 schrieb:

As already suggested, get an mSATA to IDE adapter. I have good experinece with Kingston mSATA drives on these adapters (mini and Powerbook). It gives quite a boost.

What speeds are you getting out of it?
  • »16.05.19 - 03:38
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Madlax72 wrote:
    Quote:

koszer wrote:

That is a good question. It’s an A1103 with 1.5GHz G4. I just reread the listing on eBay it doesn’t have any more information regarding the exact version. I guess I will find out on Monday

Unless it's overclocked, it should have 64MB VRAM then. 64MB version is much better in MorphOS use, and rarer to find, so take good care of it :)
  • »16.05.19 - 06:07
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    sailor
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Sailor's link was a bit broken, so here's what he wanted to link:
    Mounting Network Drives
    @jPV:
    thanks, this is the right lint.
  • »16.05.19 - 07:26
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Madlax72 wrote:

It’s an A1103 with 1.5GHz G4. I just reread the listing on eBay it doesn’t have any more information regarding the exact version. I guess I will find out on Monday

If the serial number is visible anywhere on the photos then you can check using it. If there is no serial number (peeled of or not visible on your photos) then I'd suggest being extra careful. Does it have a built-in modem, or just a plug in its place? If the latter, then your chance of 64 MB VRAM grows.
  • »16.05.19 - 08:09
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    Unless it's overclocked, it should have 64MB VRAM then. 64MB version is much better in MorphOS use, and rarer to find, so take good care of it :)

I hope it's the genuine 1.5GHz version then. I will check it out once I received it.
  • »16.05.19 - 18:23
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    Quote:

Madlax72 schrieb:
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

Madlax72 schrieb:

More than twice the speed of the original Mac mini hdd wich was 34643 KB (Hitach 5400rpm 80 GB)i and with the Kingston (SMS200S) I got 78407 KB/s with the programI used for testing (MasterISO - for some historical reasons).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »16.05.19 - 21:11
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

Madlax72 schrieb:

More than twice the speed of the original Mac mini hdd wich was 34643 KB (Hitach 5400rpm 80 GB)i and with the Kingston (SMS200S) I got 78407 KB/s with the programI used for testing (MasterISO - for some historical reasons).

That's pretty fast. Just ordered a 256GB mSATA SSD and IDE enclosure/adapter. Can't wait! I am getting around 9MB/s out of my SSD connected to the Vampire 500 :-)
  • »16.05.19 - 21:57