OWB v1.25/JIT - some ebay pages don't react to mouse events
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    NewSense
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote: Running Webkit from the second half of 2019 ....

I take it you mean 2020, as the 2nd half of 2019 is now historic? I'm only mentioning it so that it can be corrected, if applicable, not just to be 'finding fault for the sake of it'.

Also, Parcel2Go's website has now advanced to the next step of JavaScript, so OWB doesn't work with it anymore to arrange a courier.

As a result, I'm currently having to use my Window's system, which really I try to avoid using as it annoys me that MorphOS's OWB can't do what it needs to.

So, until Jacadcaps manages to overcome the issues, that I'm sure he'll find with updating MorphOS's version of OWB when he gets to focus working on it, the current version of OWB is going to be gathering more and more 'digital' dust at least as far as I use it less and less.

I did find that I can get access to PayPal as long as I 'spoof' as Internet Explorer 11 and as long as I've accessed it while the JavaScript core hasn't been used much, as the 'memory leak' we all know about seems to affect the accessibility of JavaScript in some circumstances, whether some of the code is not getting released to be utilised on other pages I don't know, but something seems to affect it so this happens more often when the total RAM is running out/low.

[ Edited by NewSense 11.02.2020 - 06:44 ]
    MacMini 1.5GHz,10,2,64MB VRAM,1GB,Airport, Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW,Iomega MiniMax,Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x, USB2, MorphOS 3.12, Mac OSX 10.4/10.5, A1138+A1139 PwrBk MOS v3.12,Model 5,8/5,9, & PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP)
  • »11.02.20 - 06:31
  • Butterfly
    Butterfly
    Britelite
    Quote:

I take it you mean 2020, as the 2nd half of 2019 is now historic? I'm only mentioning it so that it can be corrected, if applicable, not just to be 'finding fault for the sake of it'.

I'm quite confident he means 2nd half of 2019, as there's currently no way to run something from the future ;)
  • »11.02.20 - 08:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Just thought I'll share a bit since there was a bit of speculation in the thread.

Work is ongoing on a port of a fairly recent stable branch of WebKit. I do have a mostly working standalone jsc (JavaScriptCore command-line tool) and am now working towards making sure its testing suite fully works. WebKit has changed quite a bit since Orygin's days, enabled by improvements in C++ itself. The current port is generally only possible because we've stepped up our game with the SDK during the last two years (new binutils, gcc7-9, new perl, etc) so even though I'm working on WebKit on my own, this is really a Team effort - so far most of the crashes have been fixed in the compiler and or libnix (by Piru) and not by changing the WebKit source code itself.

The next step will now be to compile WebCore (that's where the layouter is, etc) and then port WebKitLegacy. Porting WebKit (previously known as WebKit2) makes no sense on MorphOS. The idea is to generally have a very simple class being able to display HTML first and then extend it with all the necessary interfaces - this is similar to the changes in OWB I've made to make it possible for it to be used in Iris.

Once that's done I'll be able to start on a browser application itself, isolated from WebKit & co.

And to make one thing clear: I've no intention of supporting things like the Inspector or media playback. There's no way these things will ever be fast enough on PPC to be satisfactory.

[ Edited by jacadcaps 18.02.2020 - 14:22 ]
  • »18.02.20 - 13:20
    Profile Visit Website
    NewSense
    @ Jacadcaps - Thanks for the informative explanation regarding Webkit/WebKit2/Webcore/JavaScriptCore, which seems to me yet another beneficial addition of your approach to keeping us all well informed, which I personally am really grateful for. Nice to know you and others in the Dev Team have seemingly already made some progress, and thanks again for this timely update. :-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,10,2,64MB VRAM,1GB,Airport, Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL+CD-RW,Iomega MiniMax,Belkin 6 port 3 x Firewire/3 x, USB2, MorphOS 3.12, Mac OSX 10.4/10.5, A1138+A1139 PwrBk MOS v3.12,Model 5,8/5,9, & PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP)
  • »18.02.20 - 16:36
    koszer
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    And to make one thing clear: I've no intention of supporting things like the Inspector or media playback. There's no way these things will ever be fast enough on PPC to be satisfactory.

I won't be missing the Inspector, but... do you mean I won't be able to watch YouTube videos on MorphOS?
  • »18.02.20 - 17:47
    NewSense
    The Inspector is quite useful sometimes to see into websites inner workings, or extract data that you couldn't get at otherwise, such as embedded images in the page(s). I take it I would still be able to run any older versions of OWB to gain the usefulness of the Inspector from those versions of OWB, as an alternative to any replacement browser you and the Dev. Team complete, just for such purposes? :-?
  • »18.02.20 - 17:56
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I take it I would still be able to run any older versions of OWB

Same for YT playback.
  • »18.02.20 - 18:17
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    jPV
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:

I won't be missing the Inspector, but... do you mean I won't be able to watch YouTube videos on MorphOS?

I won't miss the inspector either, but I surely would miss the media playback, because YouTube and other videos are still playing just fine for my needs on overlay modes even on Mac mini 1.5GHz, which I use as my main setup. I would think that videos would play even better on G5 systems... so definitely going to miss this and forces to go to two browser daily use, which makes things more clumsy. It wasn't fun in old days to use IBrowse + Sputnik combo etc when new browsers weren't yet as usable as IBrowse, but were needed to render some pages...

And does media playback include audio playback too? That isn't demanding and I'm using Bandcamp and other sites regularly too...

But of course it's better to have updated engine/browser even wihtout media playback than get stuck on all fronts... so I'll take it without media playback too, but still bit of a shame if it's not even an option to get that later...
  • »18.02.20 - 18:24
    Profile Visit Website
    NewSense
    I forgot to ask - will this custom build to create, what will be, our new browser once-and-for-all free us of the 'memory lock' we suffer from with OWB where memory does not get released as the program is used until it is closed/quit? :-?

Along the same line of thinking as jPV has questioned ... will we still be able to download videos from YouTube and other sites, as before, via the right context menu to view them via MPlayer as a separate downloaded video file, even if that cannot be done while on the webpage being viewed at the time? :-? Surely that option can/should be retained!
  • »19.02.20 - 20:40
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Quote:

free us of the 'memory lock' we suffer from with OWB

It might. There's quite a few memory management functions in WebKit that are not enabled in Odyssey - namely all the stuff Apple did for iOS devices, esp. when they were still 32bit. So we should be able to flush background tabs, etc when memory usage is too high. It remains to be seen how effective this would be though. Safari on my old iPhone 5C would sometimes crash on out-of-memory on some heavy pages so I don't think it'll be much better.

As for YT downloads, that means supporting user scripts. Dunno. There's nothing to retain since this is a completely new project, not an update of Odyssey. Some things (media playback included) may simply arrive in the years to come.
  • »19.02.20 - 22:29
    Profile Visit Website
    NewSense
    @ jacadcaps

- 'memory-lock' - as long as you work as much of your 'magic' as possible - that's all that can be expected I suppose

- 'YT' - if you can support what you can enable from the first release and develop what else is possible, and within the capabilities of the hardware, again that's all that can be expected

- it's all a big ask of you anyway, and I'm sure you, and the rest of the Dev Team, are up for the challenge for us all anyway. I appreciate what you've (all) done already, and can't wait to see what a newer browser has to offer, to try to keep pace with the race amongst mainstream browser development, and thanks for the insight into your initial work already. 8-)
  • »20.02.20 - 23:06