[SOLVED] Ambient settings freeze system
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Hi, this morning my system froze. After a reboot my Ambient prefs were reset.
    Now every time I open Ambient settings, as soon as I left or right click anywhere, system freezes again.

Settings for MUI, Ambient MUI and System all work. And the programs I usually use all work normally. It is just Ambient settings not working.

Any hints what can I check?

SOLVED: copied the Ambient prefs drawer from install CD and after reboot it works now.

[ Edited by emeck 20.09.2018 - 11:13 ]
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »20.09.18 - 09:18
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    It's not solved if you lost your original settings ;)

I guess it could be corruption of the Ambient.prefs file, and I would very first go to the SYS:.recycled directory and see if you have copies of that file there, and copy them to a safe place. There may be several versions of them with some extra characters at the end.

Maybe it can be some other Ambient settings file too, so look what there are in SYS:Prefs/Ambient/ directory and try to save them all from the SYS:.recycled directory.

Then delete or replace files from the SYS:Prefs/Ambient one by one to see which is the file causing problems, when you find that, you can try to replace it with your old settings file we recovered from the .recycled dir. See the filesizes if there's something suspiciously small or similar, and those are probably broken. You can also check the dates and use the latest you know to work.
  • »20.09.18 - 10:22
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    emeck
    Quote:

jPV wrote:
    It's not solved if you lost your original settings ;)

Yes, you are right. And I always forget we have tbe .recycled drawer... Anyway, it was a corrupted Ambient.prefs file (just 60kb). Found the .bak one from yesterday and all is back and good.

Thank you very much! Now it is solved :)
    PowerBook 5.8 MorphOS 3.18
    Mac Mini MorphOS 3.18
  • »20.09.18 - 11:02