Problems starting MorphOS installer CD image from USB stick
  • Just looking around
    Hello, I am a beginner with MorphOS!

I have following problem:
    I am trying to create a multi-boot installer USB stick for my Mac Mini G4 (Mac OS X 10.4/10.5 (Server), Mac OS 9, Debian Linux 8.11, MorphOS 3.11). So far, I succeeded with every operation system except MorphOS 3.11. My USB stick is partitioned in APM (Apple Partition Map) to make it bootable.

I made some experiments for booting MorphOS 3.11, using another USB stick. I tried partitioning it using the schemes APM (Apple Partition Map) and MBR (Master Boot Record) and formating with different filesystems (HFS, FAT32).

I used the method with "boot.img" copied from folder "mac_ppc32" and the installer .iso file "morphos.iso" copied to the top-level of the partition. I booted from Open Firmware prompt.

My results so far are:
    * booting from HFS partition obviously NOT supported under MBR and APM scheme
    * booting from FAT32 partition IS supported under MBR scheme (single and multi-partitions)
    * booting from FAT32 partition NOT supported under APM scheme

Now my question is:
    Is there a way to get the MorphOS 3.11 installer image "morphos-3.11" booting from a partition (HFS or FAT32) on a APM scheme? I think there must be a way as the CD image itself seems to be using APM scheme.

Thanks in advance for help!

------------------------------
    Attachment - used links:
    * MorphOS Library - F.A.Q.:
    https://library.morph.zone/F.A.Q.
    * MorphOS Library - Open Firmware
    https://library.morph.zone/Open_Firmware
    * MorphOS Library - Filesystems:
    https://library.morph.zone/Filesystems
    * Wikipedia - Apple Partition Map:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Partition_Map

------------------------------
    Attachment - used partition scheme:
    (Mac OS X - Terminal: "diskutil list") and booting commands (from Open Firmware)

Code:
    MBR/FAT32 - single partition
    Master Boot Record

/dev/disk1
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: FDisk_partition_scheme *32.0 GB disk1
    1: DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED 1 32.0 GB disk1s1

[OK] boot ud:,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso (boots from 1st partition (Untitled 1))

-----
    Code:
    MBR/FAT32 - multiple partitions

/dev/disk1
    0: FDisk_partition_scheme *32.0 GB disk1
    1: DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED 1 10.8 GB disk1s1
    2: DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED 2 10.8 GB disk1s2
    3: DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED 3 10.4 GB disk1s3

[OK] boot ud:1,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso (boots from 1st partition (Untitled 1))
    [OK] boot ud:2,\boot.img bi umsd0.1:morphos.iso (boots from 2nd partition (Untitled 2))
    [OK] boot ud:3,\boot.img bi umsd0.2:morphos.iso (boots from 3rd partition (Untitled 3))

-----
    Code:
    APM/FAT32 - single partition
    Apple Partition Map

/dev/disk1
    0: Apple_partition_scheme *32.0 GB disk1
    1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk1s1
    2: DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED 1 31.8 GB disk1s3

[FAILED] boot ud:,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso (boots from 1st partition (Untitled 1))

-----
    Code:
    CD (morphos-3.11.iso):

/dev/disk1
    0: Apple_partition_scheme *258.0 MB disk1
    1: Apple_partition_map 1.0 KB disk1s1
    2: Apple_HFS MorphOSBoot 257.7 MB disk1s2

[SHOULD START] boot cd:,\\:tbxi (boots from 1st partition (MorphOSBoot))

[ Edited by Kitchen2010 11.09.2018 - 17:39 ]
  • »11.09.18 - 17:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Do a small HFS partition (~30MB) on stick for boot.img.-Means stick has to be Apple-Partition-Map. This partition should be the first one. Then make the rest as SFS-partition named MOS-Sys (or whatever you want). Sign it bootable (in HDconfig) and don't forget to format. On that partition copy the CONTENT of the MorphOS.iso-image (NOT the image itself).

Boot from Open Firmware with:

boot ud:,\boot.img BD=MOS-Sys
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »12.09.18 - 12:50
  • Just looking around
    Thanks for the answer, but the problem is that I do not have already some running MorphOS installation. So I am stuck with APM/MBR and FAT32/HFS which are creatable with Mac OS X (10.4).

I made another try during the last weekend to recreate the CD layout.

Here the results:
    1.) APM/HFS (1 partition, HFS+)
    a) mounted "morphos-3.11.iso"
    b) copied block-wise the partition "MorphOSBoot" to the HFS+-partition:
    Code:
    sudo dd if=/dev/disk2s2 of=/dev/disk1s3
    (result mounts as HFS partition and looks OK)
    (FS check with "Disk Utility" fails, but it also fails with the CD image!)
    c) boot into Open Firmware:

Code:
    dir ud:,\

Size/ GMT File/Dir
    bytes date time TYPE CRTR Name

01/01/1904 00:00:00 * mac_ppc32
    (* means blessed folder)

Code:
    dir ud:,\mac_ppc32\

Size/ GMT File/Dir

1501436 07/04/2018 04:03:02 boot UNIX boot.img
    1100 07/04/2018 04:45:19 ???? ???? boot.ixt
    1852 07/04/2018 04:45:19 ???? ???? bootinfo.txt
    2657 07/04/2018 04:03:02 tbxi UNIX macofboot
    46752 03/01/2013 23:18:28 ???? ???? VolumeIcon.icns
    ("macofboot" has type "tbxi", i.e. will be loaded as default as bootloader)

Code:
    boot ud:,\\:tbxi

(black screen)
    (grey screen)
    (rotating text-cursor)
    ELF loaded
    DO-QUIESENCE
    [STOPS HERE, Kernel loaded: ctrl-opt-opt works as reset combination]

Code:
    boot ud:,\mac_ppc32\macofboot
    [same as: "boot ud:,\\:tbxi"]

Code:
    boot ud:,\mac_ppc32\boot.img

load-size=16e8fc adler32=bd628950
    ELF loaded
    DO-QUIESENCE

2.) APM/HFS (1GB partition, rest unformated)
    a) mounted "morphos-3.11.iso"
    b) copied file-wise the partition "MorphOSBoot" to the HFS-partition:
    Code:
    copy -Rv /dev/Volumes/MorphOSBoot/ /dev/Volumes/Untitled\ 1/
    (result mounts as HFS partition and looks OK)
    (FS check with "Disk Utility" succeeds)
    c) boot into Open Firmware:

Code:
    dir ud:,\

Size/ GMT File/Dir

01/01/1904 00:00:00 mac_ppc32
    ("mac_ppc32" folder is not blessed anymore, so we must start manually)

Code:
    boot ud:,\mac_ppc32\macofboot

(black screen)
    (grey screen)
    (rotating text-cursor)
    ELF loaded
    DO-QUIESENCE

Code:
    boot ud:,mac_ppc32boot.img

ELF loaded
    DO-QUIESENCE

3.) I tried if I can get a list of the devices/volumes which can the bootloader see:
    Code:
    boot ud:,\mac_ppc32\boot.img bm
    (APM/HFS and MBR/FAT32)
    (list is empty, it seems that it cannot even see the cd0: and umsd0: device or this feature does not work on the Mac Mini G4)

4.) I tried to give the USB partition as boot device argument to the boot loader:
    Code:
    boot ud:,\mac_ppc32\boot.img bootdevice=umsd0

ELF loaded
    DO-QUIESENCE
    (again the bootloader seems not to recognize the USB partition as a device)

Here my questions:
    1. Can someone explain me how exactly MorphOS boots from the CD (APM/HFS)?
    2. Is there some way to get a list of the devices/volumes from the bootloader that it can see (boot argument?)?
    3. Why can the bootloader boot from MBR/FAT32 but not from APM/FAT32? (documentation says that only HFS is not bootable from the vanilla booloader "boot.img" does not HFS support built-in. (see [3]))
    4. Are there some hardcoded pathes in the bootloader that prevents booting from a different combination?
    5. Are there other bootloader images available with more filesystem support?

-----
    Links:
    * MorphOS Library - Open Firmware:

Citations:
    [1]
    ""DO-QUIESCE finished" indicates that the file has been booted and the machine is now running under MorphOS. Problems after that stage are MorphOS related, and if the MorphOS boot image doesn't appear soon, then MorphOS might not have found a device or image to boot from, or there might be driver or compatibility issues. MorphOS reset keys (Ctrl-Lcmd-Rcmd, Fn-alt-alt) also work at this stage even if there are any other problems halting the boot process."

[2]
    "MorphOS itself creates a umsd0: device for the USB mass storage device and our ISO file is found from this device when the boot.img has been loaded."

[3]
    "The Mac partition can be an existing OSX installation (HFS+ formatted partition) or previous MorphOS installation (the HFS formatted Boot partition), for instance. The ISO image itself can't be loaded from an HFS partition, because MorphOS kernel (boot.img) doesn't have HFS support built-in. HFS support is loaded from filesystem level at the later stage when you boot MorphOS, but as OF recognises HFS partitions, boot.img can be loaded from them."
  • »18.09.18 - 12:30
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    My guess would be that MorphOS decides the OS partition isn’t bootable due to a missing boot flag, but it could be something else too. Why not use a fat32 partition or so and just boot the iso file? You can add boot parameters ti the bootinfo.txt by the way.
  • »19.09.18 - 11:34
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Thank you for your proposals! As I said in the first post would like to boot MorphOS from a multi-boot USB stick in the APM partition format. (Preferably, using the .iso method)

The .iso-boot method seems to work only from a MBR/FAT32 partition. But what I need is .iso-boot from a APM/FAT32 partition. I can not see the reason why it cannot boot from APM/FAT32 but from a MBR/FAT32 partition.
    -- Can someone explain this behaviour to me? (Maybe I have something missed here!)

Another try was, as the the 2nd post suggested, to copy the contents of the .iso file to the partition. I tried to re-create the same situation as for the CD image (APM/HFS!). But again it did not work here.
    -- Same here, can someone explain me how the CD (APM/HFS) should boot? (The documentation says HFS partitions should be not bootable ?!?)

My experiments are all try&error, as the bootloader gives absolutely no hint or error messages as feedback. It would be very helpful, if it could give back a list of the devices it can actually see (e.g. cd0:, hd:, umsd0:)
    -- Maybe someone knows some boot arguments I did learn so far to accomplish something like that?

Thanks in advance for any help!
  • »19.09.18 - 18:35
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Kitchen2010 wrote:
    Another try was, as the the 2nd post suggested, to copy the contents of the .iso file to the partition. I tried to re-create the same situation as for the CD image (APM/HFS!). But again it did not work here.
    -- Same here, can someone explain me how the CD (APM/HFS) should boot? (The documentation says HFS partitions should be not bootable ?!?)

In the standard MorphOS installation where you have the boot.img on a HFS partition, but the actual installation on a SFS partition, the HFS partition should not be bootable and SFS should. And this kind of setup was suggested in the 2nd post, although it suggested to use volume name, but I think device name is needed. Booting an installed MorphOS system from HFS isn't supported. And the MorphOS CD isn't in HFS format.

Quote:

My experiments are all try&error, as the bootloader gives absolutely no hint or error messages as feedback. It would be very helpful, if it could give back a list of the devices it can actually see (e.g. cd0:, hd:, umsd0:)
    -- Maybe someone knows some boot arguments I did learn so far to accomplish something like that?

If you boot from the MorphOS CD, you can then use the Info command in the shell to see what device names you have on the MorphOS side.

I could try to experiment with sticks with APM, but that goes to the next week earliest...

[ Edited by jPV 19.09.2018 - 21:01 ]
  • »19.09.18 - 19:00
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

"In the standard MorphOS installation where you have the boot.img on a HFS partition, but the actual installation on a SFS partition, the HFS partition should not be bootable and SFS should. And this kind of setup was suggested in the 2nd post, although it suggested to use volume name, but I think device name is needed. Booting an installed MorphOS system from HFS isn't supported. And the MorphOS CD isn't in HFS format."

--So the HFS partition is in reality a SFS partition? That would explain why experiments in the 2nd post failed. But why can I see the files when I mount the .iso image file? Is it a kind of hybrid filesystem type HFS/SFS?

Quote:

"If you boot from the MorphOS CD, you can then use the Info command in the shell to see what device names you have on the MorphOS side."

--The problem is that I cannot get so far that MorphOS boots, I can get just the bootloader "boot.img" to boot (until the point it prints "DO-QUIESENCE" on the Open Firmware prompt).

Quote:

"I could try to experiment with sticks with APM, but that goes to the next week earliest..."

--Time is no problem, when you can solve my problem. I have already wasted almost a month getting to boot MorphOS from a APM-formatted USB stick. If you showed me how to get the bootloader to boot from the .iso image file placed on a APM/FAT32 partition, I would be all happy!

[ Edited by Kitchen2010 20.09.2018 - 11:10 ]
  • »20.09.18 - 11:10
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> In the standard MorphOS installation where you have the boot.img
    >> on a HFS partition, but the actual installation on a SFS partition,
    >> the HFS partition should not be bootable and SFS should. [...]
    >> Booting an installed MorphOS system from HFS isn't supported.
    >> And the MorphOS CD isn't in HFS format.

> So the HFS partition is in reality a SFS partition?

No. In order to run MorphOS, the APM setup on PPC Macs must contain at least the following:
    - a small HFS partition containing the MorphOS boot.img, set to non-bootable
    - a larger SFS partition containing the MorphOS system files, set to bootable

The reason for this setup is that the Mac OpenFirmware can read HFS but cannot read SFS, so it loads the boot.img from the HFS partition. The boot.img in turn can read SFS and thus starts the MorphOS system from the SFS partition. The 'bootable' flag is required by the boot.img, not by the OpenFirmware, that's why the SFS partition must have it and the HFS partition must not have it.

> why can I see the files when I mount the .iso image file?
    > Is it a kind of hybrid filesystem type HFS/SFS?

The MorphOS CD/ISO should be in ISO 9660 format with Rock Ridge or Joliet extension.
  • »20.09.18 - 12:13
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    Kitchen2010:

Im not really sure what you are doing, because the method I described in #2 is running perfectly an all MACs I own.

Please do screenshots of your partition-map (HFS-partition and SFS-partition) in HD-confiig and post it here. If you have done what I wrote in #2 and what A.Wolf had wrote, then there will be no reason why it should'nt run.....

Btw: You may use Device-name or Volume-name in boot command for boot.image - both should work. (see #10). But if boot-flags are set (or unset) properly, MOS will find the right partition itself.

Bootable stick example:

Partition with boot.img: 33868476rx.jpg

Partition with MOS-System (Content of ISO): 33868477jg.jpg

[ Editiert durch Amigaharry2 20.09.2018 - 14:35 ]
    Peg2, 3xPowerMac G5, 2xPowerbookG4, 2x MacMiniG4, Efika (again), A3000T and life is never boring.....
  • »20.09.18 - 12:50
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    You can just place the ISO file on the same partition as boot.img (so HFS). Just remember that to boot the iso file you need to specify a path using the device name, NOT volume name. So bi=dh0:mos.iso and not bi=system:mos.iso.
  • »20.09.18 - 12:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Guys, thank you very much for your feedback!

@Andreas_Wolf, Amigaharry2:
    I understand what you mean, but my problem is:
    1. I have no running MorphOS here, i.e. I cannot format my USB stick under MorphOS (= no SFS partition possible).
    2. My Mac Mini G4 has just 2 USB ports which I use for my keyboard and the USB stick (USB hubs do not work, I tred that already), so I cannot have 2 USB sticks simultaneously running on my Mac Mini G4.
    3. My Mac Mini G4 has a broken CD/DVD drive, so I cannot boot from a burned CD of the .iso image file.
    4. What I have on my Mac Mini G4 is a HDD with 2 partitions with Mac OS X 10.4 and Mac OS X 10.5. Therefore that leaves me to format my USB stick with the filesystems: HFS, FAT32.
    5. I would like to create a multiboot USB stick with all installable operation systems for my Mac Mini G4 (Mac OS X (Server), MacOS 9, Debian Linux 8 and MorphOS) which all require to have the USB stick formatted with the APM partition scheme (= no MBR).

Your tips are very useful when I get so far that I can install MorphOS on the HDD (HFS-boot-partition + SFS-system-partition) or when I have already a MorphOS system running already to create a SFS partition on the USB stick (what I unfortunately cannot with my setup).

I would rather stick with the method "boot.img+.iso-file" if that is possible.

@jacadcaps:
    Quote:

"You can just place the ISO file on the same partition as boot.img (so HFS). Just remember that to boot the iso file you need to specify a path using the device name, NOT volume name. So bi=dh0:mos.iso and not bi=system:mos.iso."

So far I understand the documentation pages, the bootloader "boot.img" cannot boot from a HFS partition but from a FAT32 partition and the documentation also says that Open Firmware supports loading from HFS and FAT32 partitions (see links [1], [2]).

I made another try to get it boot from a APM/FAT32 partition:

Code:
    APM/FAT32 - single partition
    Apple Partition Map

# diskutil list
    /dev/disk1
    0: Apple_partition_scheme *32.0 GB disk1
    1: Apple_partition_map 32.3 KB disk1s1
    2: DOS_FAT_32 UNTITLED1 31.8 GB disk1s3

# copied contents from folder "/mac_ppc32/" of "morphos-3.11.iso" and "morphos-3.11.iso" itself to the APM/FAT32 partition.

# ls -la /Volumes/UNTITLED1/
    drwxrwxrwx@ 1 user staff 16384 Sep 21 09:54 .
    drwxrwxrwt@ 6 root admin 204 Sep 21 09:54 ..
    -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 user staff 46752 Mar 1 2013 VolumeIcon.icns
    -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 user staff 1501436 Jul 4 05:03 boot.img
    -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 user staff 1100 Jul 4 05:45 boot.txt
    -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 user staff 1852 Jul 4 05:45 bootinfo.txt
    -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 user staff 2657 Jul 4 05:03 macofboot
    -rwxrwxrwx@ 1 user staff 258048000 Jul 18 13:13 morphos.iso

[FAILED] boot ud:,\boot.img bi umsd0:morphos.iso
    [FAILED] boot ud:,\boot.img bi dh0:morphos.iso

(rotating text-cursor)
    ELF loaded
    DO-QUIESENCE

-----
    Attachment - used links:
    * MorphOS Library - Open Firmware: [1]
    * MorphOS Library - Filesystems: [2]
    https://library.morph.zone/Filesystems
  • »21.09.18 - 09:18
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Amigaharry2
    I think it would be more sucessfull to send you a prepared stick to boot.........
  • »21.09.18 - 21:55
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'm sure I could supply a replacement DVD or CD drive for a small cost (most of the cost would likely be for shipping) if that would make this issue no longer a problem, and solve your optical drive problems. ;-)

If you can't do the mechanical work of opening it up, then you could always send me the mini itself, and I'd fix the optical drive issue, and send it back to you, at cost. 8-)

I use my Mac Mini with 6+ USB hubs, but they are all externally powered, and they offer me about 20 additional USB ports, so external USB ports do work with the Mac Mini - just so you know :-P . . . 8-)

I'm not sure if you've got an Apple keyboard, but if you have one of the older A1048 keyboards then that keyboard has 2 additional USB 1.1 (IIRC) ports on the back of it which are useable with MorphOS.

Let me know if you're interested. My profile states where I am located. :-D
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »22.09.18 - 03:24
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

Kitchen2010 wrote:
    Quote:

"I could try to experiment with sticks with APM, but that goes to the next week earliest..."

--Time is no problem, when you can solve my problem. I have already wasted almost a month getting to boot MorphOS from a APM-formatted USB stick. If you showed me how to get the bootloader to boot from the .iso image file placed on a APM/FAT32 partition, I would be all happy!

I made a quick test now, first I had a stick with MBR/FAT and it worked fine. Then I changed the partition mapping to APM with HDConfig under MorphOS, and made a FAT partition on it. It doesn't seem to work indeed. I have now tried on three different PPC Macs, and none of those recognized the partition even at the firmware level. So I can't even try to load the boot.img file, because I just get error when trying to list or access the partition from Open Firmware. It really looks that APM/FAT is a no go...

Maybe you just have to use MBR/FAT stick for MorphOS, buy a new one or find an access to some Windows PC to prepare a compatible stick.
  • »27.09.18 - 13:20
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    I am very sorry guys, I was not able to participate in this thread because I needed to travel abroad due my job last week!

@NewSense:
    Thanks for the offer but I intend to replace the CD/DVD drive anyway for a second HDD, so it is wasted money for just the installation process. I got an ADB keyboard with the iMate adapter, so I have no USB slots at my keyboard. Maybe my USB hubs are not all compatible.

@jPV:
    Thank you very much for confirming the booting issue with the APM/FAT32 partition. The documentation says that Open Firmware supports reading/booting from FAT32 partition only since version 3.0 (= last G4 series and G5 series Macs), so the Mac Mini G4 might be the first with has the ability (I could boot Debian Linux without problems from a APM/FAT32 partition).

It seems that I need to purchase a cheap USB stick for the MBR/FAT32 installation method.

@all:
    Again thank you for all the helping in this thread!
    Do you know a way to contact the MorphOS developers for a bug report/wishlist? I would like to report them that booting from APM/FAT32 is not working, so that it can be fixed a future release!
  • »02.10.18 - 09:40