Most stable OWB?
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    I've been using the OWB that came with 3.11. I use a browser heavily for long up-times. I've found after heavily browsing it eventually stops loading pages. An example would be browsing long eBay searches with 200 listings per page. By about the 5th or 6th page it will stop loading. Another example would be youtube. I was watching youtube videos last night and about the 3rd video, it started meditating. I have 2GB in the G5 and don't seem to be running out of memory. Is the JIT build a newer build overall or just adds JIT to this build? Anyone determined the most stable revision overall?

OWB is great, I probably torture it more than most users. Feedback would be appreciated. I could file a bug report if anyone on the team sees it as helpful, but they are likely aware.

[ Edited by redrumloa 25.07.2018 - 20:39 ]
  • »26.07.18 - 00:39
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    I've had the same "stops loading pages" issue, especially when browsing some heavy sites. It stalls some connections which would take ages to timeout (if ever, and somehow it blocks opening new pages at the same time), so long that it's better to restart the browser. Usually a restart of the browser helps, but sometimes the old browser leaves something on background and a whole new instance of OWB is started (OWB.2).

I've reported this and I've been adviced to compare the situation to the latest Fab's OWB 1.24, because it's most likely because of Deadwood's fixes which were implemented from the AROS version to our OWB, but it'd need some confirmation.

I've been using 1.24 occasionally now, and so far I haven't experienced similar issue with it, but the problem is that those old OWB versions consume much more memory than our current versions, and you usually run out of memory before being able to do as heavy browsing on sites as with the current OWB, which forces you to restart the browser sooner than wanted.

But as I've never seen such behaviour with old OWB 1.24 (or at least if some connection seems to stall, it doesn't block new pages), I'm pretty sure this is a new issue, but if anyone of you others could also confirm the situation, it would be helpful to identify the issue better.
  • »26.07.18 - 05:23
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    @ redrumloa

I went to Ebay.com, searched for socks, switched to 200 results per page, and managed to navigate to page 12 without issues.

I appears to be tricky to reproduce this behaviour.
  • »26.07.18 - 05:31
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Zylesea
    I can confirm the behaviour like jPV described it. Depends also on how manynetwork connections are allowed (I set it to 14), but pages with much advertizing are blocking network connections. Try spon.de for example. It may also be that blocked servers (by the router) are promoting in this behaviour ( I blocked quite some advertizemt servers).
    --
    http://via.bckrs.de

Whenever you're sad just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
    ...and Matthias , my friend - RIP
  • »26.07.18 - 11:25
    Profile Visit Website
    guruman
    I confirm as well and I also confirm that the behavior was present with OWB 1.24 as well. It was just a bit less likely to reach the point the browser is basically stalled because sometimes you got low on memory before it happened, and in both cases the solution was just to quit and restart OWB. I do not have issues with stability (it stalls but does not crash). As Zylesea says, chosing a different number of network connections helps mitigating the issue (I have 20-24).
    By showing the status bar on the lower side of OWB windows you can kind of see what's happening: when most lamps stay a still red, the browser is slowed down. When all the lamps are red, the browser is stalled and requires to be restarted.
    It looks like attempted network connections that do not receive complete answers never properly timeout. Re-load of the page should drop all the network connections (all lamps to black) and re-start data loading, but I do not know the technical issues that might prevent this behavior to be implemented.

Kind regards,
    Andrea
  • »26.07.18 - 22:13
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Tom01
    I had no such Problems with OWB, yet.
  • »26.07.18 - 22:29
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:
    @ redrumloa

I went to Ebay.com, searched for socks, switched to 200 results per page, and managed to navigate to page 12 without issues.

I appears to be tricky to reproduce this behaviour.

Maybe try the same, but 3-4 listings per page right click on and open in a new tab to view. Not saying keep open, view and close.

[ Edited by redrumloa 27.07.2018 - 00:11 ]
  • »27.07.18 - 04:10
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
    @ redrumloa

Maybe try the same, but 3-4 listings per page right click on and open in a new tab to view. Not saying keep open, view and close.

Here are the steps I followed this morning while using Odyssey v1.25:

1. I went to Ebay.com.

2. I searched for 'socks'.

3. I switched to 'list view' and 200 results per page (near the bottom of the page).

4. I opened four listed products in background tabs.

5. While the backround tabs were still loading, I scrolled down the results page to the bottom and clicked on the link for the next page as soon as the results page finished loading.

6. I then switched to each background tab in order to close them as soon as those pages were fully loaded.

Result: I stopped after getting to page 10 of the results on Ebay. The browser did not end up in a stalling state.

It would be nice if others would follow these steps as well in order figure out if they are useful to reproduce any stalling or not. Without clear and precise information on how to reproduce problems, it is next to impossible, i.e. prohibitively time-consuming, to try to solve them.
  • »27.07.18 - 08:17
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I am very happy with OWB v1.25, with the JIT version also, as they actually work, which v1.24 with MorphOS v3.10 did not.

I have had very few negative issues with v1.25, and it now allows me to at least register and then login to F1 (Formula 1 racing car website) to see the live commentary of sessions for free. It also, so far, seems to be handling all the ebay changes that have been altered recently, and allows me to login to Parcel2go website, though I haven't ordered a delivery through the site as yet, but it looks like it will work OK - but I'll comment on that if it doesn't if/when that happens.

I haven't gone looking for socks recently, not even networked ones, but accessing ebay is a working experience, and I have not had any stalling moments so far that are worthy of mentioning.

So, for me, OWB v1.25/JIT is back on track, and as useable as I'd expect/hope it to be - great work MorphOS Team 8-)
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »28.07.18 - 04:03