How to setup the flat design / skin ?
  • Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Priest of the Order of the Butterfly
    Tcheko
    Hello,

This skin has been made by some third party (Highlander).

It hasn't been promoted to ISO because it requires a somewhat cumbersome and complex manual setup to work.

As you might know, deep (ie change all the little bits in every corner) skinning requires changing screen decoration, MUI, ambient settings, icons... And all this have to be done from different places.

It really makes this flat skin a pain to install. We'd like to build some kind of integral theme switcher someday which would solve this skin install pitfall.

Still, for the people interested with this skin, the best is to get it from the author. PM me for his email.

Cheers,
    Quelque soit le chemin que tu prendras dans la vie, sache que tu auras des ampoules aux pieds.
    -------
    I need to practice my Kung Fu.
  • »18.07.18 - 17:26
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Elowan
    Awesome - so there is some hope to get this skin. But cumbersome and complex setup sounds not good. Like I said, I am not a developer or experienced MorphOS user...

@koszer

hello - so you want to try to rebuild it? Would be great :D
    12" ibook G4 1.33Ghz, 1.5GB RAM, ATI 9550 32MB, 16GB SSD, WiFi, BT, ComboDrive
  • »23.07.18 - 06:18
  • Leo
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    Leo
    @Tcheko: maybe it would be a good idea to have real "themes" that would include everything: MUI, skins (maybe icons?), etc... So that's it's easier for the user to use things like this flat design without having to play with lots of different apps/settings?
    Nothing hurts a project more than developers not taking the time to let their community know what is going on.
  • »23.07.18 - 08:21
    Profile Visit Website
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    >> We'd like to build some kind of integral theme switcher
    >> someday which would solve this skin install pitfall.

> maybe it would be a good idea to have real "themes" that would
    > include everything: MUI, skins (maybe icons?), etc... So that's
    > it's easier for the user to use things like this flat design
    > without having to play with lots of different apps/settings?

I guess that's exactly what he meant by "integral theme switcher" :-)
  • »23.07.18 - 09:11
  • ASiegel
    @ Leo

Unfortunately, this is far easier said than done and it is quite time-consuming to implement.

For instance, we have a graphical user interface toolkit that allows users to set up individual settings on a per-application basis.

But, we also have window skins, which include certain defined colors that do not merely affect window decorations but may also influence how applications look in some cases, that are chosen on a per-screen basis.

So, in theory, it can happen that a user sets up an application to look nice with a black window skin and white or light grey text on dark backgrounds. If this application has its windows moved to a different screen that has a white window skin, it will likely look out of place and might end up having the 'wrong' text color, etc.

It is challenging to combine these different concepts without severely limiting the user configurability. It is something that needs to be considered carefully.

That said, important work has been done already. MorphOS 3.10 introduced "graphics-less icons" that utilize Ambient's central icon storage. Rather than always littering the same bitmap or vector graphics thousands of times on your harddisk, Ambient now just needs a single graphic file. As a very much desired side-effect, this also means that switching between different icon graphics for all / most folders can be as easy as replacing a single file.
  • »23.07.18 - 09:34
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    > This skin has been made by some third party (Highlander). [...]
    > the best is to get it from the author.

FlatPapillon skin released :-)
  • »15.03.20 - 22:26
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MoerBoer
    Thanks so much!

I really like this skin, gives the OS a very modern look,
  • »18.03.20 - 05:27