Wifi in MacMini and G5
  • Just looking around
    New user to MorphOS, Amiga user since '86. I just recently purchased both a MacMini 1.5ghz and a G5 2.0Ghz to run MorphOS on. I bought the MacMini and while waiting on it to arrive from Ebay, lucked into finding a complete G5 system with monitor for $20, all working. I'd like to use Wifi on them both if possible and was wondering of there are any problems using wifi and if not what is the best card to use? Will the standard Airport card work? Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Also, is 1 megabyte of memory still the max usable by MorphOS?

Tim
  • »17.07.18 - 06:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • ASiegel
    Quote:

tlgrooms wrote:
    New user to MorphOS, Amiga user since '86. I just recently purchased both a MacMini 1.5ghz and a G5 2.0Ghz to run MorphOS on. I bought the MacMini and while waiting on it to arrive from Ebay, lucked into finding a complete G5 system with monitor for $20, all working. I'd like to use Wifi on them both if possible and was wondering of there are any problems using wifi and if not what is the best card to use? Will the standard Airport card work? Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

The wi-fi in the Mac mini G4 should just work out of the box. That being said, as with any computer, reception can be an issue depending on your home network.

As both of your computers are desktop machines, you could just buy an external wi-fi access point and connect both machines via ethernet cable to it.

Quote:

Also, is 1 megabyte of memory still the max usable by MorphOS?

MorphOS will not even boot with 1 megabyte of memory :-) The limit is 2 gigabyte of memory.

If you have more memory (for use with MacOS or Linux), MorphOS will not mind, however,

Please note that the Mac mini G4 only supports 1GB of memory. This is a hardware limitation and not related to MorphOS.
  • »17.07.18 - 06:32
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

tlgrooms wrote:
    I'd like to use Wifi on them both if possible and was wondering of there are any problems using wifi and if not what is the best card to use? Will the standard Airport card work? Any help/suggestions greatly appreciated.

Standard Airport Extreme will work with PowerMac G5, but:

1. There are obviously two versions of this card. One (A1026) is not supported by MorphOS, while the other (A1027) works OK.
    2. The solid aluminium case of PowerMac G5 doesn't really work well with WiFi, so you need an additional external antenna to have some range of signal. Now... Apple in its own unique way didn't care to put a standard SMA connector, but used a proprietary antenna that's pricey as hell. There's a solution though. Instead of buying a genuine one, use some generic antenna with MCX male connector (or an adapter from MCX male to SMA).
  • »17.07.18 - 07:57
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

ASiegel wrote:

The wi-fi in the Mac mini G4 should just work out of the box. That being said, as with any computer, reception can be an issue depending on your home network.

As both of your computers are desktop machines, you could just buy an external wi-fi access point and connect both machines via ethernet cable to it.

I didn't realize the MacMini had built in wifi. I'm having trouble getting it to boot from CD to load Morphos. Tried holding C down and also tried holding ALT down. Neither one does anything, it just goes ahead and boots into the MAC OS. Is this because I'm just using a standard USB keyboard and not a mac keyboard?

Quote:

MorphOS will not even boot with 1 megabyte of memory :-) The limit is 2 gigabyte of memory.

If you have more memory (for use with MacOS or Linux), MorphOS will not mind, however,

Please note that the Mac mini G4 only supports 1GB of memory. This is a hardware limitation and not related to MorphOS.

Sorry, I meant to say 1 gigabyte not megabyte. I haven't opened up the G5 yet to see how many memory slots are available, etc. It only has 512mb in it so I will upgrade the memory when I figure out what I need. The macmini also only has 512mb in it but I have ordered a 1gb stick for it.

I have loaded morphos on the g5 and am loving it so far. Will be even better I am sure when I get additional memory installed.
  • »17.07.18 - 16:37
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

tlgrooms wrote:
    I didn't realize the MacMini had built in wifi. I'm having trouble getting it to boot from CD to load Morphos. Tried holding C down and also tried holding ALT down. Neither one does anything, it just goes ahead and boots into the MAC OS. Is this because I'm just using a standard USB keyboard and not a mac keyboard?

That's unlikely. But can you enter Open Firmware? Tried pressing 'the other ALT' down?
    I'd say it's the optical drive that misbehaves. Try the USB boot. Mini does it without problems.
  • »17.07.18 - 16:45
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

Standard Airport Extreme will work with PowerMac G5, but:

1. There are obviously two versions of this card. One (A1026) is not supported by MorphOS, while the other (A1027) works OK.
    2. The solid aluminium case of PowerMac G5 doesn't really work well with WiFi, so you need an additional external antenna to have some range of signal. Now... Apple in its own unique way didn't care to put a standard SMA connector, but used a proprietary antenna that's pricey as hell. There's a solution though. Instead of buying a genuine one, use some generic antenna with MCX male connector (or an adapter from MCX male to SMA).

Thanks for the info. Really appreciate it.
  • »17.07.18 - 16:54
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Quote:

koszer wrote:
    Quote:

tlgrooms wrote:

That's unlikely. But can you enter Open Firmware? Tried pressing 'the other ALT' down?
    I'd say it's the optical drive that misbehaves. Try the USB boot. Mini does it without problems.

Yes, tried both ALT keys. Neither would do anything. I'll try the USB boot as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the info!
  • »17.07.18 - 16:56
    Profile Visit Website
    Kronos
    Well "USB-boot" requires holding down some keys to get into OF, which won't work any better then holding ALT or C....

2 possible reasons:

- your KBD just doesn't work with OF (something with a cable has the best chance of success)

- there is some way to lock OF (and ALT-boot) with a password (no idea why and how), if thats the case your pretty much screwed
  • »17.07.18 - 17:04
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

Kronos wrote:
    - there is some way to lock OF (and ALT-boot) with a password (no idea why and how), if thats the case your pretty much screwed

But even then, the boot menu/Open Firmware is shown when summoned - of course in restricted mode (been there, done that, and even managed to crack a password protected PowerBook, but that wasn't an easy task).
  • »17.07.18 - 17:36
  • Just looking around
    I have another question guys. On the MacMini, it was sold as a 1.5ghz with 64mb of vram instead of the earlier 32mb. When I do an about this Mac, it shows 1.42ghz and 32mb of vram. Would it still show this even if it was a silent upgrade MacMini?

Thanks.
  • »17.07.18 - 19:43
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

tlgrooms wrote:
    I have another question guys. On the MacMini, it was sold as a 1.5ghz with 64mb of vram instead of the earlier 32mb. When I do an about this Mac, it shows 1.42ghz and 32mb of vram. Would it still show this even if it was a silent upgrade MacMini?

You, sir, have been tricked by the seller. There's no way I know "About this Mac" is going to lie to you.
    There's yet another way - go find the serial number at the bottom of the computer and check it against everymac.com.
  • »17.07.18 - 19:49
  • Just looking around
    Just requested a return. Aggravated to think he wouldn't think I'd check it out to see if it was what he advertised it to be. It was purchased thru paypal so I should be safe.
  • »17.07.18 - 21:08
    Profile Visit Website
  • Just looking around
    Hello everybody,

I just bought a PowerMac11,2 DP 2GHz and I'm trying get MorphOs 3.12 working on it.
    I already have a G4 MacMini with MorphOs 3.11 working perfectly.

The first thing I did was to buy an ATI Radeon card for the G5 and it worked, I had no problem installing MorphOS 3.12.

But I have 2 issues to solve now:
    1) The Gigabit Ethernet card is not detected. Trying to figure out why.
    2) I does not come with a WIFI Card, so I need to know what card can I buy to have that working.

Thanks for your help and I really appreciate all the time you spend on updating MorphOS.
  • »04.10.19 - 14:37
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    koszer
    Quote:

frisco wrote:

The first thing I did was to buy an ATI Radeon card for the G5 and it worked, I had no problem installing MorphOS 3.12.

Lucky you. I've tried two X1950's and none worked. What Radeon did you try with your PCIe G5?

Quote:

1) The Gigabit Ethernet card is not detected. Trying to figure out why.

That's because it's not supported. You need a PCIe one (rzookol mentioned that Gembird NIC-GX1 PCI-E x1 Ethernet should work)

Quote:

2) I does not come with a WIFI Card, so I need to know what card can I buy to have that working.

Again, rzookol suggests AzureWave AW-GE870 (based on Atheros chipset).
  • »05.10.19 - 19:19