lha -V parameter for splitting archive
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Hi.

This parameter doesn't seem to work, or I don't know actually.

I have a folder that I want to just archive without compression, so I specify "-z", for no compression, and "-V 1048576" to split at the 1 GB boundary.
    But letting lha run for x minutes eventually the whole system will freeze.

What am I doing wrong?

Manfred
  • »06.07.18 - 15:53
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:
    What am I doing wrong?

Multivolume support is quite flaky in LhA, and it is very very very old. How old? It was meant to be used with floppies. It's that old...

-V parameter argument should be given directly after the argument. So: -V1048576

However, I'm pretty sure that this option doesn't work quite as you'd expect it to. Since it originally was used to split archive to floppies, it will prompt you to hit enter after each split (this leaves user option to switch the removable media such as the floppy).

You can work around this when compressing by using NIL: as input for LhA: lha options <NIL:

When decompressing you can give -V without the size. But you're supposed to hit Q after the last multivolume part has been processed (yes, you need to manually keep track of it), and thus <NIL: doesn't quite work here, unless if you will abort the command once it can no longer find more parts (and keeps reporting unable to open file archive.l<number>)

It's far from perfect, but I didn't feel like messing with this too much as I would have likely broken the backwards compatibility.
  • »06.07.18 - 16:59
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Thanks, this worked.

No problem for me that I have to type a key to continue packing or unpacking.

But this type of operation seems to be very slow.
    I'm packing up a lot of files into 3 or 4 1 GB archives.
    And it's still running, almost 12 hours now.
    The system is hardly useable while it does that. Mouse curser hardly reacts on mouse movements.

Manfred
  • »07.07.18 - 21:17
  • MorphOS Developer
    Piru
    Quote:

asrael22 wrote:
    Thanks, this worked.

No problem for me that I have to type a key to continue packing or unpacking.

But this type of operation seems to be very slow.
    I'm packing up a lot of files into 3 or 4 1 GB archives.
    And it's still running, almost 12 hours now.
    The system is hardly useable while it does that. Mouse curser hardly reacts on mouse movements.

Manfred

Hmm maybe system is running out of memory and that results in hits from some component. By default LhA uses T: as the temporary file location. When creating a very large archive you probably want to move the temporary directory to somewhere on disk instead. For example to make it work:temp use: -wwork:temp

Sorry that I forgot about this one before.
  • »07.07.18 - 22:08
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Hmm, no problem.

But I don't think it's that. MemoryGauge shows I still have over 800MB of free RAM.
  • »08.07.18 - 08:03
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    How about trying with tar (from SDK) instead of lha? Now when we should have Amiga attributes support via xattrs option, and tar seems to have multi volume option too. Haven't tried myself either of them, but worth trying for this big archives?

Another option is to create image files with Jalapeno, it splits them to 1GB files IIRC. Although it might be harder to "unpack" them later...

[ Edited by jPV 08.07.2018 - 11:09 ]
  • »08.07.18 - 09:06
    Profile Visit Website
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Tar might be an option. But I thought I try to stick to Amiga tools.

And it works, so all is good.

Just wondering why the system get so unresponsive. Maybe some system resources are not properly freed?

Manfred
  • »08.07.18 - 10:10