Licence to distribute Workbench 3.1, Rom 3.1 and Rom 1.3
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 9932 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    >> hasn't the New York case (Cloanto vs. Hyperion) been merged with the newer Washington
    >> case (Hyperion vs. Amiga, Amino, Cloanto, Itec) and relocated to Washington?

    > actually "transferred" as opposed to merged. These are seperate cases and amended
    > claims have been filed for each one.

    Yes, thanks for providing more accurate information.
  • »15.06.18 - 22:45
    Profile
  • esc
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    esc
    Posts: 125 from 2013/5/28
    Can we fork the legal discussion into another thread please? I'm interested in what Papiosaur is trying to accomplish here :)

    Papiosaur, if you download amikit, for example, and try to run it, it'll prompt you for ways to find your already-licensed ROMs. I think this is the ideal solution. Just have Chrysalis be able to point to stuff we already have and use that. I would avoid trying to figure out licensing or do anything potentially sketchy. I'm sure everyone on this thread has probably already paid for ROMs :)
  • »15.06.18 - 23:06
    Profile
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Posts: 4692 from 2009/1/28
    From: Delaware, USA
    Quote:

    esc wrote:
    Can we fork the legal discussion into another thread please? I'm interested in what Papiosaur is trying to accomplish here :)

    Papiosaur, if you download amikit, for example, and try to run it, it'll prompt you for ways to find your already-licensed ROMs. I think this is the ideal solution. Just have Chrysalis be able to point to stuff we already have and use that. I would avoid trying to figure out licensing or do anything potentially sketchy. I'm sure everyone on this thread has probably already paid for ROMs :)


    Interesting solution, but by today's standards questionable.
    I have an Amiga with legal 3.1 roms in it, does that mean I have a license to use that software in any device I want to install it on, on multiple devices?

    If its a per user answer, your solution makes sense to me as it can't be prevented, there is no registration or licensing process for end users of these roms.

    Papi was asking about distribution of the roms with other software.

    Its not a practical idea with a free software distribution (or even commercial software), and even AmiKit developers realize that.

    So we let this thread go off course with a discussion of where you'd be able to legally source roms.

    Sorry for the distraction. Yes, the best course is not to distribute the roms and allow the end users to secure them themselves. It eliminates any legal issues and leaves the matter up to the end user's discretion.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »16.06.18 - 01:13
    Profile
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    KennyR
    Posts: 348 from 2003/3/4
    From: #AmigaZeux, Gu...
    Quote:

    esc wrote:
    Can we fork the legal discussion into another thread please? I'm interested in what Papiosaur is trying to accomplish here :)


    The legal discussion would just follow it, just like it has a thousand other attempts in the past. Amiga stuff won't ever be around without the legal drama - it's just one and the same now. That's just how it is. Only way around it is to avoid Amiga IP like the plague.
  • »16.06.18 - 12:19
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Intuition
    Posts: 1008 from 2013/5/24
    From: Englistan
    Quote:

    Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

    Intuition schrieb:
    Quote:

    TheMagicM wrote:
    How good is the AROS kickstart rom? Is it a full implementation of whatever the real kickstart rom provides?


    Good enough to play trackloading games or boot the 68K AROS Workbench but you can't use it to boot Amiga OS yet.


    And hence it is rather good enough for an add on package for MorphOS. I mean there is little need to run full AmigaOS on MorphOS. UAE on MorphOS is more about directly launched games. I would avoid original AmigaOS for a free distribution. With the AROS kickstart a lot can be launched and it spreads AROS a bit in the real world.


    Yep, bundling AROS kickstart with UAE for playing games is the best bet.
    1.67GHz 15" PowerBook G4, 1GB RAM, 128MB Radeon 9700M Pro, 64GB SSD, MorphOS 3.9

    2.7GHz DP G5, 4GB RAM, 512MB Radeon X1950 Pro, OSX 10.5.8, 500GB SSHD, MorphOS 3.9
  • »16.06.18 - 13:43
    Profile
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Posts: 4692 from 2009/1/28
    From: Delaware, USA
    Quote:

    Intuition wrote:
    Quote:

    Zylesea wrote:
    Quote:

    Intuition schrieb:
    Quote:

    TheMagicM wrote:
    How good is the AROS kickstart rom? Is it a full implementation of whatever the real kickstart rom provides?


    Good enough to play trackloading games or boot the 68K AROS Workbench but you can't use it to boot Amiga OS yet.


    And hence it is rather good enough for an add on package for MorphOS. I mean there is little need to run full AmigaOS on MorphOS. UAE on MorphOS is more about directly launched games. I would avoid original AmigaOS for a free distribution. With the AROS kickstart a lot can be launched and it spreads AROS a bit in the real world.


    Yep, bundling AROS kickstart with UAE for playing games is the best bet.


    I'd use that if it could be better integrated.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »16.06.18 - 14:48
    Profile
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Andreas_Wolf
    Posts: 9932 from 2003/5/22
    From: Germany
    >> hasn't the New York case (Cloanto vs. Hyperion) been merged with the newer Washington
    >> case (Hyperion vs. Amiga, Amino, Cloanto, Itec) and relocated to Washington?

    > actually "transferred" as opposed to merged. These are seperate cases

    The cases have been merged/consolidated yesterday into one single case.
  • »31.07.18 - 11:44
    Profile
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    caver99
    Posts: 129 from 2012/6/14
    Could you not do what other have done like AIAB etc where the installer asks for the kickstart 3.1 from the user and possibly the Workbench 3.1 adf disks then you are not distributing anything and you don't have to worry about any kind of licencing as its up to the end user to supply what they need if they want to install the chrysalis packs, i have my purchased software for the amiga emulators so have all my kickstarts and system disks like many others have.
    The work you do on these chrysalis packs is great and have installed since my first install of morphos so keep up the good work and thank you.
    This is just my view of things and look forward to them all sorting there affairs out and putting the Amiga name back where it belongs.
    Powermac quicksilver Dual 1ghz Dual Boot Morph OS 3.7 and OS X 10.5.8
    PS3 x5
    Xbox 360 x 6
    Wii x 3
    PSP x 3
    DS x 3
    Custom Gaming Rig
    :-o
  • »09.08.18 - 13:15
    Profile
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Posts: 4692 from 2009/1/28
    From: Delaware, USA
    Quote:

    caver99 wrote:
    ...putting the Amiga name back where it belongs.



    Yeah,that's not happening.

    And where is that, btw?
    As a word describing a female friend?
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »09.08.18 - 13:34
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    redrumloa
    Posts: 1225 from 2003/4/13
    Quote:

    Cloanto would have less basis of a claim in that process than Genesi would.



    I really have no idea how you possibly come to this conclusion. If Cloanto has the legal resources, they will come out on top easily. As a matter of fact, t he way I see it the only reason Hyperion has not been buried already is due to the mercy of Cloanto. I'm guessing the mercy is gone at this point and Cloanto will go in for the kill.

    [ Edited by redrumloa 09.08.2018 - 10:35 ]
  • »09.08.18 - 15:26
    Profile
  • Jim
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    Jim
    Posts: 4692 from 2009/1/28
    From: Delaware, USA
    Quote:

    redrumloa wrote:
    Quote:

    Cloanto would have less basis of a claim in that process than Genesi would.



    I really have no idea how you possibly come to this conclusion. If Cloanto has the legal resources, they will come out on top easily. As a matter of fact, t he way I see it the only reason Hyperion has not been buried already is due to the mercy of Cloanto. I'm guessing the mercy is gone at this point and Cloanto will go in for the kill.


    Maybe they'll just wear each other down and both will fail.
    I'm not encouraged by anyone behavior in this.

    Again, two dogs fighting over scraps...left by a corpse.
    "Never attribute to malice what can more readily explained by incompetence"
  • »10.08.18 - 08:03
    Profile
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    Papiosaur
    Posts: 1134 from 2003/4/10
    From: France
    As it more difficult to distribute this old files and after have bought AmigaForever7, i will ask to BeWorld to propose to install this files :

    amigaforever:Amiga-Files/shared/rom/amiga-os-130.rom
    amigaforever:Amiga-Files/shared/rom/amiga-os-310-a1200.rom
    amigaforever:Amiga-Files/shared/rom/rom.key
    amigaforever:Amiga-Files/shared/hdf/workbench-311.hdf

    from AmigaForever DVD or ISO to E-UAE drawer in the next pack :-)

    Thanks to all for your propositions!



    [ Edité par Papiosaur 10.08.2018 - 11:15 ]
  • »10.08.18 - 09:03
    Profile Visit Website
  • Acolyte of the Butterfly
    Acolyte of the Butterfly
    caver99
    Posts: 129 from 2012/6/14
    Quote:

    Jim wrote:
    Quote:

    caver99 wrote:
    ...putting the Amiga name back where it belongs.



    Yeah,that's not happening.

    And where is that, btw?
    As a word describing a female friend?




    not as in the hands of anyone i meant as how we all know it to be and i can hope cant i that one day they will sort out all there squabbles and bitching and just get on as the hardware is not being made they just want to hold on to what we have where as the community just want to get on with using and developing there hardware yet are to worried about reprisals for doing so, and out of my comment all you could pick on was that bit not the main focus of the message, ah well never mind hey, i am just so happy that the developers and contributors work on this for us all to use and enjoy.
    Powermac quicksilver Dual 1ghz Dual Boot Morph OS 3.7 and OS X 10.5.8
    PS3 x5
    Xbox 360 x 6
    Wii x 3
    PSP x 3
    DS x 3
    Custom Gaming Rig
    :-o
  • »14.08.18 - 13:59
    Profile