Word wrapping in textinput.mcc 30.0 does not work
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Word wrapping function doesn't work in Ed from MorphOS 3.10. If I check "Word wrapping" in context menu of Ed, text still is not wrapped. Generally word wrapping doesn't work in each application which uses textinput.mcc. I use standard textinput.mcc from the latest MOS 3.10:
    Textinput.mcc 30.0 (2018-03-22)
    (C) 1997-2003 Oliver Wagner, (C) 2012 Stefan Stuntz, 2014-2018 Jacek Piszczek, Michal Wozniak, PPC, MorphOS, DEBUG

Is it bug or feature? :)
  • »22.05.18 - 17:46
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    Sounds like a feature to me ;) Thanks for the report, we'll have a look.
  • »23.05.18 - 12:05
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Sounds like a feature to me ;) Thanks for the report, we'll have a look.

I have already sent bug-report in standard MorphOS bug reporter. I hope, the report was sent correctly (button "Send" becomes inactive after send).

I very like Ed from MorphOS and use often for write a text. However text editor without word wrapping function can't be used for editing texts other than sources/scripts (like Ed from AmigaOS 1/2/3).

Thank you!
  • »23.05.18 - 17:57
    Profile Visit Website
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I'd have to say that Ed, Multiview, and probably others from the Amiga days have never seemed to get Word-Wrap to work as it should.

The best, within MorphOS, IMHO, is/was Scribble as it also had "word wrap" icons at the end of a "wrapped" line. NoWinEd is also good, but lacks the "word-wrap" icons, and other features that Scribble has. I have only used FlowStudio a little, but I can see that this word-wrap feature works basically as it does in Scribble, so that's good.

Notepad++ is superior with more features, and I'm surprised that its GNU General Public License hasn't encouraged those that can do such conversions from such source code to have a go at making it work with MorphOS, as it would be a great addition to our software library.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »23.05.18 - 20:32
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    asrael22
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    Notepad++ is superior with more features, and I'm surprised that its GNU General Public License hasn't encouraged those that can do such conversions from such source code to have a go at making it work with MorphOS, as it would be a great addition to our software library.

Afaik both Notepad++ and Scribble/Flow Studio are based on Scintilla (https://www.scintilla.org) for the base editor component.
  • »23.05.18 - 20:57
  • Paladin of the Pegasos
    Paladin of the Pegasos
    NewSense
    I believe that's correct ( Notepad++ and Scribble/Flow Studio are based on Scintilla ), but Notepad++ has more features, and if we had Notepad++ then it would also be more inline with other OS's for file swapping, and plugins, etc., which surely wouldn't be a bad thing.

There's also a Hollywood add-on for Notepad++ I seem to remember. Though there's also ones for Hollywood for CubicIDE, UltraEdit and VIM.
    MacMini 1.5GHz,64MB VRAM, PowerBooks A1138/9 (Model 5,8/9),PowerMac G5 2.3GHz(DP), iMac A1145 2.1GHz 20", all with MorphOS v3.18+,Airport,Bluetooth,A1016 Keyboard,T-RB22 Mouse,DVD-RW-DL,MiniMax,Firewire/USB2 & MacOSX 10.4/5
  • »24.05.18 - 01:31
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    I've checked and there have been no changes in regards to word wrap in Ed and Textinput within a 4 year timeframe. I have, however, tweaked Ed a bit and wordwrapping will be available from 3.11. Mind that TI only supports wrapping as you type - there is no "load to see your document wrapped" mode.
  • »24.05.18 - 01:49
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

NewSense wrote:
    I'd have to say that Ed, Multiview, and probably others from the Amiga days have never seemed to get Word-Wrap to work as it should.

Yes, you are right - classic old Ed can’t wrapping text. It was very simple program for edit startup-sequence. :) I am glad Ed in MorphOS can be used as simple text editor for each text, not only a script.
  • »24.05.18 - 05:12
    Profile Visit Website
  • MDW
  • Order of the Butterfly
    Order of the Butterfly
    MDW
    Quote:

jacadcaps wrote:
    Mind that TI only supports wrapping as you type - there is no "load to see your document wrapped" mode.

I am almost sure MOS Ed wraped document always. Also when I just loaded text file. I have no previous versions of MorphOS so I can’t check.
  • »24.05.18 - 05:18
    Profile Visit Website
  • jPV
  • Yokemate of Keyboards
    Yokemate of Keyboards
    jPV
    Quote:

MDW wrote:
    Yes, you are right - classic old Ed can’t wrapping text. It was very simple program for edit startup-sequence. :)

"Edit" or some would say "break" :D The old 68k Ed cuts the long lines without telling it (doesn't wrap, just cuts the lines at certain length and rest of the lines are lost). It always broke my lengthy BlitzKick lines when I forgot that and edited the startup-sequence with it.
  • »24.05.18 - 05:30
    Profile Visit Website
  • MorphOS Developer
    jacadcaps
    @MDW: you must have used a different application for this - there really isn't any code to support wrapping on resize in String.mui (TI.mcc is just a mostly empty wrapper).

Why not use Flow Studio? It handles wrapping just fine.
  • »24.05.18 - 11:39
    Profile Visit Website